.22LR, where is it AND WHY IS IT SO HARD TO FIND?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I think i made this guy Mad :(, i was being serious when asking, but really? 500 rounds for 275? this shit aint .223

Message regarding: 5,000 CCI/Speer Gold Dot 22 WMR JHP, Short Barrel 275.00
    http://www.armslist.com/posts/23616...0-cci-speer-gold-dot-22-wmr-jhp--short-barrel

ME....you have 5,000 22.LR for 275.00? or just the WMR?

Dave

J.D. Burkett josiah
    3:41 PM (1 hour ago)

its 500 wmr for 275

ME....
    Wow, price was so high i thought it Had to be a misprint since the title said 5,000.

Josiah
    3:54 PM (1 hour ago)

HIM..
    Obviously you don't buy a lot of ammo. I have sold around 24,000 rounds at this prices or higher online

ME..

to Josiah
    Actually i buy Lots of ammo. bought 5,000 rounds .22LR from the CMP for 250 shipped just before they ran out. Bought 1400 rounds of Turk 8mm for .30 cents per round over the weekend. and bought 525 rounds of .22LR from Dicks sporting goods for 26.00 yesterday. And if i want 500 rounds of WMR Speer, i can wait till 3/14 and get it from midway for 139.00 Per 500. Just cause you have ppl buying it doesn't mean its a good price.

Him... No more replies :(

Oh wells

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Every time I pull the lever on my 300 Savage, I hear $1 being ejected. When I blow through a 30 round mag of .22 in my 597, I have a big smile on my face for what bus fair costs.

Hmm, $1 per round for the 300 Savage.

5 - 10 cents per round for .22, so 30 rounds is $1.50 - $3.

:)

But, I agree, 30 rounds of ANYTHING is fun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    We heard you. $15 over where it should be. Hence why its still there.

Huh.

.22 was $2 per 100 rounds back in the 70s. Back when gas was 60 cents per gallon.

Gas is now $3.40 per gallon, and you want 22 for 4 cents per round?

From an inflation calculator:

What cost $10 in 1977 would cost $37.35 in 2012.

So $35 a brick is actually a deal. :D

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    What? The first guy has it for 9 cents a round. Some of it was a little high at 13 cents a round, but most of it is 9-10 cents a round. Obviously you and I disagree on what we should pay for .22 ammo. Anything less than 10 cents a round and I'm all over it. I would buy most of if if I didn't already have about 10,000 round myself...LOL

Go for it.

I'm certainly not going to pay $.09/rd for .22 (That's almost fifty bucks a box!)

I mean, if I were desperate, and had NONE to shoot... maaaaaybe. But as long as I have at least 1,000 rd buffer, they can keep it at .09/rd, AFAIK. I'm sure they'll sell it to someone. (P.T. Barnum was right.)

I'll pay $.06, tops. That's $35 for a box of 525. (That used to cost $25/box - or less)

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If i walked into a store right now and seen for 525 boxes( non Remington) by the pallet at 35.00 a brick and i could buy 3-4 of them i would, just so i know i have some for a while.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    If i walked into a store right now and seen for 525 boxes( non Remington) by the pallet at 35.00 a brick and i could buy 3-4 of them i would, just so i know i have some for a while.

Yep! The price compared to yesteryear sucks. MANY a brick I paid $7.99 for on sale years ago. But to me, the idea of being without .22LR sucks worse. Pick the option that sucks less. At least there are choices.

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    Any ammo I have purchased lately has been a little more expensive than it has been historically. I don't begrudge a buisness making money and I can appreciate the fact that there is inflation and a supply/demand factor. I had to laugh at some of the ridiculousness of the past year or so. When supplies do come back, be prepared for shortages. You now know they are possible.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Huh.

.22 was $2 per 100 rounds back in the 70s. Back when gas was 60 cents per gallon.

Gas is now $3.40 per gallon, and you want 22 for 4 cents per round?

From an inflation calculator:

So $35 a brick is actually a deal. :D

See the date? Post election price.

20131218_221704_zps93a2a818.jpg

390% inflation over the past 5 years? So gas should be $11.03 per gallon now based on the ammo inflation?

I think not.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Due to the lead smellting plants being closed in the US, .22lr ammo is now being manufactured using the material unobtainium

No_comment

Oct 19, 2013
    Recently the only ammo i want is .22lr. I plink alot on my farm. i can get any other round from my wal-mart at any time. Restating my question, where and why is the .22 so hard to get my hands on?
    The demand side is driven by increased sales of guns in response to fears (realized and otherwise) of additional gun control legislation. That has caused shortfalls in several calibers, including 9mm.

Why is the 22LR so badly hit? It's the lowest common denominator. No matter what caliber of guns you might have, you almost certainly have a gun that shoots 22LR. Since it is the 'plinking round' of choice, everyone has grown accustomed to the joy of throwing lead at a target with 22LR. If you have to shoot carefully with 22LR, what's the point of buying it?

As others have noted, we've also reached an undesirable hoarding equilibrium. That is due bullets having two facets: they're storable and they're consumable. No one hoards refrigerators or dishwashers. Why? They're durable so once you have one you don't need to buy one again for a long time. No one hoards bananas, either, even though they're consumable rather than durable. Why? Because they can't be stored. Canned tuna is like bullets in this sense and I'm confident that if the government threatened to cut availability of canned tuna, we'd see the same hoarding.

On the supply side, businesses such as Walmart are multi-product retailers. It's well known that MPRs will not take advantage of short term price fluctuations because they fear losing business. Would Walmart really want to lose all of your business to make a few bucks on 22LR? Not likely. Same with Dick's, Bass Pro, etc. Single-product merchants, especially online ones, are different. CheaperThanDirt, will sell bullets at the market price no matter what the name of their business. In this sense there really isn't a shortage of 22LR: there's plenty to be had if you are willing to pay the price.

Hope this was useful.

Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Yup, it's getting ridiculous. I've only recently (last few months) been trying to buy some 22LR (down to my last brick) and can't find it anywhere. It's to the point now where I WILL hoard it; anywhere I find it I'll be buying it. I hate to perpetuate the hoarding, but not being able to find it for months forces you into it.

Compound this for everyone else and there's your problem.

R1Peacock, thanks for the Cabela's link. I'll be using that. I tried signing up for the Notify Me on Midway's site, but I couldn't figure a way to do it on Cabela's. This will work great.

Last edited:

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I literally was only able to go shooting once this past year because I couldn't get ammo. I shoot more .22 than anything else just like everyone else. I'm in college so I don't have time or money to search all the time and pay way too much for it. I haven't seen a brick in person for a year and a half, and the one time I found a little .22 in 50 round boxes the stupid manager(at DSG) wouldn't sell it to me because I'm 20. :mad54:

StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    New rumor. A guy told me that he heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy....

There are a couple of container ships sitting in port loaded with ammo that are being stalled by customs because of intentional under staffing the custom inspectors...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    New rumor. A guy told me that he heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy....

There are a couple of container ships sitting in port loaded with ammo that are being stalled by customs because of intentional under staffing the custom inspectors...

Usual B.S. here it everytime there is a shortage.

Plenty of .22 is being produced, its just the usual self fullfilling prophecy high prices lead to perception of scarcity, people hoard, plus they tend to use a lot. Just like when a large seller can start a run on a gold or commodity market and make bucco bucks.

It will settle out be strategic, when you see it at Wally World buy it, use modestly.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    See the date? Post election price.

390% inflation over the past 5 years? So gas should be $11.03 per gallon now based on the ammo inflation?

I think not.

There have always been sales and deals and such.

I was talking the normal everyday price for .22. I have to find a box with price sticker on it from the 70s. And in the 90s, I bought a full case at Timonium for $100. So the same $2 per 10, over 20 years later. That is NOT normal. :)

And actually, IMO, what happened is .22 stayed very low, well below inflation, for MANY years, then finally has come up to the inflation corrected price.

I would be surprised to see .22 at non-sale prices, below 5 cents per round ever again. Or even down near 5 cents per round. I hope I am wrong about this....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom