• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Maybe I am wrong and stupid, but I thought from reading various posts on AR lowers, that you put a pistol lower on it and then swap rifle parts onto it and make it a rifle (not talking SBR here) then switch back without creating a NFA violation.

Did I understand that correctly?

The question came up on another forum about creating a carbine (not a SBR) from the CZ Scorpion pistol. Someone wrote to the ATF and got this reply below. It seems a total reversal from their position in 2011 re: Thompson Center handguns and carbines.

Attachments

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      21.4 KB · Views: 383

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Maybe I am wrong and stupid, but I thought from reading various posts on AR lowers, that you put a pistol lower on it and then swap rifle parts onto it and make it a rifle (not talking SBR here) then switch back without creating a NFA violation.

Did I understand that correctly?

The question came up on another forum about creating a carbine (not a SBR) from the CZ Scorpion pistol. Someone wrote to the ATF and got this reply below. It seems a total reversal from their position in 2011 re: Thompson Center handguns and carbines.

It's backwards, pistol to rifle, rifle to pistol if it's the same gun. No rifle to pistol if it started as a rifle.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Cool, so I can go chop the barrels and stocks on my rifles to make them pistols now! Awesome!:rolleyes:

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that. I think someone at atf got a little confused.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    That's got to be one of the strangest ATF letters ever. Completely backwards.

Pistol receiver can become rifle (but carefully so as to not make an SBR without the stamp). And then pistol again if you want.

Rifle receiver stays a rifle.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Government bureaucracy at its finest. Obviously the hiring practices of the "Firearms Industry Programs Branch" needs some tweaking.

This sh!t is reckless on the part of the ATF and should not be tolerated by the community.

Please responded to that letter and tell him he has it backwards, then watch him tell you how you're wrong. Then post the email chain here again. The sharks will do the rest.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    it really doesn't matter... one its not enforced, and two the ATF allows pistols to be turned into rifles everyday when the sign off on form1's.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Stop writing letters to the ATF...............

How can we bring up deficiencies in the law and get them to rule against us regarding everything guns if we stop writing letters?

They need us to point out where all of the gun loopholes are. Cuzz the Dems don't know crap about guns and gun laws.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    No, what we need is rational legislation. NFA '34 is an 81-year-old antique that was overtaken by events about 30 years ago.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    No, what we need is rational legislation. NFA '34 is an 81-year-old antique that was overtaken by events about 30 years ago.

That sounds crazy to me. "Rational" legislation was given long before 1934. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Done! Ever since then we have had irrational legislation. For example the back ground check... we don't want people who did bad stuff being able to buy guns. Rational legislation is not to do background checks... rational people would execute those who have done things bad enough that they could no longer be trusted with a gun! I am pretty much convinced that all gun legislation is to cover up deficiencies in other parts of society! For example the 1934 legislation is a direct result of the Gang wars over the sale of Alcohol! Had we not made a huge black market, you would have never had people with Tommy guns blasting away. Today, the illegal drug market is clearly a modern version with what 90-95% of the crime in our Cities related directly or for obtaining money for illegal drugs. Stop creating black markets for things a significant portion of the populations wants and you will end the "gun" crime. However rational never factors in.

So I have to disagree, the NFA is about rational law. Its reason is to disarm the US population of military firearms and its been extremely effective! Lucky for us they did it at the same time they started stealing our money with inflation (after they confiscated the gold) and so we were able in the 70s and 80s to again have some freedom as the $200 lost value. Also we thankfully still had some exposure in the foreign wars with people who did not fear the federal government. Had it not been for those two factors we would not have nearly the amount of NFA guns that we do. However today they are less and less able to fulfill they 2A role as they age and become outdated and antiques. My Watercooled Cloth belt fed Maxims are little thread on todays battle field. Today they are well into the second phase where they come after the neutered Military looking firearms like AR15s.

To me, the idea of rational NFA legislation today would take on the idea of a total ban and confiscation. Hell even if they adjusted for inflation... Average US household income was $1,368 in 1934 and is 53,657 in 2015. That would mean the $200 NFA stamp should be about $7,850.00 today! Given todays environment, we are probably better letting the issue stay dead. No use starting a fight you can't win.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I am pretty much convinced that all gun legislation is to cover up deficiencies in other parts of society! For example the 1934 legislation is a direct result of the Gang wars over the sale of Alcohol! Had we not made a huge black market, you would have never had people with Tommy guns blasting away. Today, the illegal drug market is clearly a modern version with what 90-95% of the crime in our Cities related directly or for obtaining money for illegal drugs. Stop creating black markets for things a significant portion of the populations wants and you will end the "gun" crime. However rational never factors in.

Yup. Most of society's worst problems stem from well-intentioned federal regulations—that lie completely outside the federal government's 10th Amendment restrictions—that run counter to the most basic understanding of human nature and, therefore, the likely consequences of those regulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom