37mm and Pistols... Is it a VFG or is it not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    So we all understand that adding a vertical fore-grip (VFG) to any pistol reclassifies the pistol as an AOW. This of course must be done by an FFL/SOT and transferred for $5 on a Form 4.

I remember seeing a thread awhile back where someone submitted an opinion letter to the ATF about putting a Magpul AFG on a Kel-Tec PLR 16. They deemed it not a VFG. Perfectly fine to do with no paper work.

I'm curious about this however... Say you have an AR-15 pistol and want to add a 9" Havoc 37mm launcher, just for the sake of having something completely different. Would this be treated equal to the Magpul AFG, or would it be considered something more sinister along the lines of a "red tape" inducing VFG?

DSC_5796.jpg

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    It's not vertical and I'm pretty sure you could Form 1 a VFG on a AR pistol yourself. Last time I checked, 37mm Flare Launchers aren't sinister with ATF unless anti-personnel rounds come into play.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    The reason the Magpul AFG is not considered a VFG is rightfully so. It is a matter of geometry. It is an angled foregrip. It is not of the 90* nature; it is not vertical.

Anyone want to market an 89* foregrip? 76*? What measure of angle do we get too close to vertical to consider it vertical?

Same here. The Havoc is just as vertical as the the AFG.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    How is it vertical? It runs parallel to the bore axis of the pistol.

So unless you mount it completely wrong...... You know if you wanted to keep your pistol on target but still launch up a signal flare......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom