• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****The Dick's here at the Rio Shopping Center in MoCo is packed, mostly with Soccer moms and folks buying Ski and Winter stuff right now. It's a pretty wealthy area and the folks shopping here don't look deplorable like me. I'm not sure this location sells a lot of hunting stuff, but they don't seem to be hurting for business.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    ^I used to go to that one in Gaithersburg. They had a lot of ammo and good duck hunting stuff. It's sad what's going on. I think both sides of the issue have some share of the blame. I really, really hate it that hunting is slowly becoming a part of the "us vs them" narrative. That will spell the end of our freedom to engage in the sport, since political power always goes back and forth. That's something the NRA and Dicks don't seem to understand. Political power operates on a pendulum. It's very important to have friends on both sides if you want to win long-term. I get all my ammo from midway now and just buy hunting gear from Amazon or the manufacturer directly. I do one Bass Pro trip a year since it's an inconvenient drive for me. ...and I'm happy to never come home with a bag of ____ LOL.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    They're an outdoor clothing store, that's all they are. There's a lot of money and markup in name-brand clothing and that's all they want to be. I have little doubt they planned on getting out of guns anyway. Their so called social statement is just a way to reinforce their creds with their soccer mom clientele.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    They're an outdoor clothing store, that's all they are. There's a lot of money and markup in name-brand clothing and that's all they want to be. I have little doubt they planned on getting out of guns anyway. Their so called social statement is just a way to reinforce their creds with their soccer mom clientele.

I always thought it was DSG's plan to bail out of hunting and Anti-2a rhetoric was just an excuse and a way to bring in replacement customers...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Ask Sports Authority how well that worked out for them.

Exactly. Knew this was going to happen to Dick's when it bought out Galyan's. Galyan's is where I bought my HK USP 9 Compact and my Benelli SBE. I used to stop at Galyan's off of I-270 very often on the way home from hunting. Then, Dick's went and screwed it all up.

I used to buy the kids' soccer, lax, and baseball stuff from Dick's. After the political BS, I no longer buy anything there. Bought my oldest's mountain bike from Dick's several years ago. My son's will have to come from somewhere else.

The goose call I have used to kill hundreds of geese with came from Sports Authority. Good memories.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I was talking to a guy today about this and he said the Dicks in columbia is no longer sell fishing equipment. As others have said I've long since left Dicks.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think dick's can make it without the hunting gear if they do opt out of it.

However, their Field and Stream stores won't survive and that will be a big hit to the morons.

CcMdCsa

Jan 4, 2019
    Carroll County
    This is where I sit back and laugh at what a Knee jerk attempt at being politically correct can do to the CEO of Dicks and his company but I do feel sorry for anyone who could lose there job in the future because of it

Wayneb

Dec 31, 2018
    Ellicott City, MD
    That fits with what I’ve noticed in the Ellicott City store. A couple weeks ago I bought the last box of 38 special they had. Not replenished & no one knows when they will. They had a big pile of 9mm Field & Stream on clearance today. Never bought anything other than ammo there. Conveniently on my way home & I was surprised the ammo was not under lock & key like the meager selection at the local Walmart (the Walmart keeps Fruit of the Loom underwear locked up too).

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Conveniently on my way home & I was surprised the ammo was not under lock & key like the meager selection at the local Walmart (the Walmart keeps Fruit of the Loom underwear locked up too).

Odd. The underwear is not dangerous until, ah, loaded.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    There's very little hunting stuff in the Hagerstown store that's priced competitively. Almost as bad as the lure selection. If you absolutely have to have one now, get it there, other wise online and wait a couple days.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    The sad part is the employees that work there in that department (well, some of them). There is one fella at the Easton store who was always helpful when I first got into archery and was just about as upset about his employer's politics as we are. He is in the position that he should be looking for a new job because of SJW idiots, and as LGS are slim in this neck of the woods, it is annoying I can't just stop by to grab ammo and like on my way home. But, I won't unless I have little other choice (Walmart either) - I go with Midway and order when they have a free shipping promo mostly now - and I won't buy stuff for my kids sports there either. Used to spend a lot of money there for my kids sports teams I coach, not anymore.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Down 11% and I believe it will tank even further. I was walking thru the store on my way to another part of the mall. It was horrible, you could see the writing on the wall. They most certainly look like they are in the death throws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom