Old February 23rd, 2021, 05:37 PM #11

Not on the firearm purchase price itself but on the transfer fee the FFL I use does charge the MD 6% rate... Seems odd but I think they do it more so as a CYA because of the paper trail a transfer generates and the potential for the state to get nosy if they wanted too.

I buy plenty of stuff with no paper trail from them and half the time they round down to the nearest dollar so they dont have to deal with change... so their collection of sales tax on a transfer I dont get into it with them.
2.39 1-20-2021
135sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 05:42 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
Not on the firearm purchase price itself but on the transfer fee the FFL I use does charge the MD 6% rate... Seems odd but I think they do it more so as a CYA because of the paper trail a transfer generates and the potential for the state to get nosy if they wanted too.

I buy plenty of stuff with no paper trail from them and half the time they round down to the nearest dollar so they dont have to deal with change... so their collection of sales tax on a transfer I dont get into it with them.
So they charge sales tax on non-taxable things and don't charge sales tax on taxable things?
LOL! I hope they're not that loosey goosey with their FFL records
Old February 23rd, 2021, 06:29 PM #13

If you can use an ffl that doesn't charge tax then transfer through them. My question to those that do tax is what amount are you taxing ? If I were an ffl I would be asking the comptrollers office for a clear answer on this. I think there was a thread years ago about a shop charging tax and they had been told in writing from the comptrollers office that they had to collect tax because the item was crossing the sales counter in MD. If memory serves me correctly that shop was beat up pretty good on here for doing it, but they are still in bussiness.
Johnconlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 06:33 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnconlee View Post
If you can use an ffl that doesn't charge tax then transfer through them. My question to those that do tax is what amount are you taxing ? If I were an ffl I would be asking the comptrollers office for a clear answer on this. I think there was a thread years ago about a shop charging tax and they had been told in writing from the comptrollers office that they had to collect tax because the item was crossing the sales counter in MD. If memory serves me correctly that shop was beat up pretty good on here for doing it, but they are still in bussiness.
Wow. Not the shop's fault if the comptroller told them that. Tax issues certainly are complex, confusing, and sometimes non-sensical.
Deep Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2021, 06:46 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
Wow. Not the shop's fault if the comptroller told them that. Tax issues certainly are complex, confusing, and sometimes non-sensical.
Agree.
Johnconlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2021, 09:28 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseymorejr View Post
So they charge sales tax on non-taxable things and don't charge sales tax on taxable things?
LOL! I hope they're not that loosey goosey with their FFL records

The opinion of the comptroller would probably be that MD's 6% 'use' tax is applicable since a firearm is a physical item and you are using it in the state...

Quote:
Every time you purchase taxable tangible goods from businesses outside of Maryland, whether in person, over the phone, or on the Internet, the purchase is subject to Maryland's 6 percent use tax or 9 percent alcoholic beverage tax if you use the merchandise in Maryland.
A firearm requires records aka 4473 so there is no 'hiding' the transaction from an audit if someone ever poked around. Certainly nobody should be paying the sales tax on the price of a firearm twice and if an FFL was doing that, they should be outed.

If I'm just buying a box of ammo or something and paying cash more often then not whatever the total amount is they just round it down to the next whole dollar so nobody has to deal with loose change... There not using a barcode scanner or any sort of electronic inventory control to generate a receipt (and for consumables like that I don't care about a receipt) so sure the state gets shorted a few cents here and there IDGAF and the ffl does not either The welding supply I go to is the same way, pay cash and if you don't need a receipt. The price tends to be cheaper

I'm gonna wager many FFL's do charge the 6% on a transfer but they have it calculated into their fee and rounded up/down to the nearest dollar or other convenient amount and nobody thinks twice about it.
2.39 1-20-2021
135sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2021, 09:52 AM #17
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

I heard A&D Pawn collects tax.
Old February 24th, 2021, 03:46 PM #18

I've used home-based and store front FFL's and never paid tax during the transfer. Both of these are fairly close to Kingsville.

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners