• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    i thought aslong as you did a 77r, you didn't have to register it, regardless of whether you checked the box for voluntary registration, it just needed to be transfered to you via the 77r when you bought it.

Theres a ton of guns that have features that make them "assault rifles" that were purchased on a 4473 alone.

Same applies to home built firearms/receivers (no paperwork)

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    my dad technically owns my M14. Should I have it transfered over to me before Oct 1st? and how clogged up is gun buying currently? should I buy anything I want to get?

I can't advise your father on what he should do with his legally owned rifle. If you wish to own a rifle that you think would be banned as a "copy cat" after October 1, or that comes with a magazine that will be banned after October 1, you would be well advised to lawfully acquire those items before October 1, which could be done by lawful gift transfer, lawful purchase transfer, or other lawful means.

sfchoffman

Full Battle Rattle
    Feb 18, 2013
    I am not really familiar with the "AR-10." If it is currently unregulated, it would not be affected by the bill unless it meets the new definition of "copycat" - see paragraphs no. 3 and 4 in my original post above. Or, unless by later interpretation it is deemed to be a "copy" of a rifle that is on the list of "assault" rifles in the Public Safety Article.

Oh I'm sure it will, and a bunch of others. Because they look evil !

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Oh I'm sure it will, and a bunch of others. Because they look evil !

Presumably it looks the same as it did before. If it is a "copy" of a rifle on the list of named rifles, then it should have been declared regulated before now, in theory. If it is not a "copy" of a named rifle, then you only need to worry about the "copycat" definition. The term "copycat" does not really mean that it is a copy of anything -- it's just a label slapped on the definition.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    A fun exchange on MOM's facebook:

ME: Since you're now taxing constitutional rights, can you please work to pass a bill that would require a registration fee for the right to vote in Maryland and make it so that it can't be paid with an Independence Card?

Matt Hood Tyler, the US has long taxed constitutional rights. For example, I paid sales tax on this laptop with which I exercise my 1st amendment rights.

Me: But Matt, they didn't have laptops when they wrote the Constitution so surely that 1st amendment doesn't apply to you.

madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    Anti's told me " you dont need a rifle they are inaccurate and only a novice would perfer it" lmao

36chambers

Mar 13, 2012
    So where do HBAR AR-15's fall into this?

(example: This rifle has a 16" Mid-Length Heavy barrel with 1x9 twist, 6 position M4 stock, Mid-Length handguards with single heat shields, and A2 flash hider. 32" length collapsed 36" fully extended
    Link to product page)

Since the HBAR doesn't require more of a check then a "hunting" rifle, it would seem that a HBAR AR-15 would be "NOT DISAPPROVED" even under the new legislation. HBAR does not have the spot to affix a flare/grenade launcher and a folding stock is not a telescoping stock...leaving the flash suppressor.....so it conforms to 1,2,3 of section 3.

Also, currently I believe that HBAR AR-15 is not considered a "copycat" given the distinction between the barrel constructions and how this particular type is handled.

It feels like this configuration will be able to live on...and would be exempt

Thoughts? Insights? Opinions?

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    If I'm not mistaken, a stripped lower is already regulated but just filled out on the 4473 as 'receiver'. No need to complete it before Oct 1.

For an 80% lower, I don't see anything on it like you say. They would have to prove you manufactured it after that Oct 1?

Completed stripped lowers are regulated. 80 percent lowers are not. You could number and register some 80 percent lowers for future builds, or register five flat pieces or steel with numbers on it for future Ak builds [wink wink]. No idea if this is legal, as no firearm actually exists, but the thought just crossed my mine.

Lostinbmore

Junior grade mop slopper
    Dec 19, 2012
    Baltimore
    I know there was an answer for this question but I'm too dense for the answer given.

Honorably discharged veterans have to get handgun license?

Is it legal to own hi cap magazines purchased prior to 10/13?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArJuna

Apr 10, 2008
    Gaithersburg, MD
    It seems clear to me the House of Delegates removed the registration requirement for grandfathered guns in the hopes current gun owners would not rebel too strongly.

We have to make sure we go after this insane group of laws with all we can muster. This is purely and simply an affront to the Constitution and all Maryland citizens. I hope everyone reading this will lend their complete support to the continued fight. Besides taking this on in court, we must destroy the liberal fascists politically in 2014. I want to be involved in any discussions and actions aiming to coordinate this attack.

Together we stand!!!

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    After October 1, 2013, you cannot sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer them within Maryland, with or without the gun. There would be no ban on possession and standard use of legally purchased magazines. Use of a magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds in the commission of a felony or "a crime of violence," as that term is defined in Maryland law, subjects the perp to an additional penalty.

If I list a 30 round magazine for sale on Craigslist, A Maryland section, while requiring that the transfer (sale) occurs in Virginia, is that illegal? Let's assume Craigslist's servers are in California.

Stealthy

Jun 2, 2012
    Bmore
    Alright.. So can grandfathered rifles be transferred? If say... "I own a legal ar15 that gets grandfathered"... How do I sell it? Can I sell it? You must be able to sell it... So then people can therefore buy grandfathered weapons within MD? ..?

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I can't advise your father on what he should do with his legally owned rifle. If you wish to own a rifle that you think would be banned as a "copy cat" after October 1, or that comes with a magazine that will be banned after October 1, you would be well advised to lawfully acquire those items before October 1, which could be done by lawful gift transfer, lawful purchase transfer, or other lawful means.

I thought transfers to family members was allowed after Oct 1?

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    The more I read this bill the less it make sense in "real world" applications and the more I get pissed that this will be the law. WTF :mad54::mad54::mad54:

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I cornered Dumais after the bills passage. She said they amended the bill to allow police officers to off duty carry in schools. Did this make it into the bill?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    4. A semiautomatic RIMFIRE rifle would never be an "assault" weapon under this bill.

OK , I'm being serious. Does this mean a scary looking 22LR built on an AR platform is legal with a 10rd mag? Can't Lowers just be sold marked 22LR ?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    What about "post ban" or NY-compliant AR-15 the like?

So where do HBAR AR-15's fall into this?

(example: This rifle has a 16" Mid-Length Heavy barrel with 1x9 twist, 6 position M4 stock, Mid-Length handguards with single heat shields, and A2 flash hider. 32" length collapsed 36" fully extended
    Link to product page)

Since the HBAR doesn't require more of a check then a "hunting" rifle, it would seem that a HBAR AR-15 would be "NOT DISAPPROVED" even under the new legislation. HBAR does not have the spot to affix a flare/grenade launcher and a folding stock is not a telescoping stock...leaving the flash suppressor.....so it conforms to 1,2,3 of section 3.

Also, currently I believe that HBAR AR-15 is not considered a "copycat" given the distinction between the barrel constructions and how this particular type is handled.

It feels like this configuration will be able to live on...and would be exempt

Thoughts? Insights? Opinions?

The Public Safety Article currently contains a list of regulated "assault weapons," which under the bill would become banned rifles. The list applies not only to the named rifles but to "their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon." The list includes "Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle."

So the first question is whether the particular rifle you're talking about is a "copy" or an "imitation" of the Colt AR-15 or Colt CAR-15." If it is, then it will be banned, unless it is a "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle."

If it is not banned by that test, then you move to the question of whether it is a "copycat" as defined in the bill (see paragraph no. 3 of my summary). Do not confuse "copy" and "copycat" -- under the proposed new law, these two terms will mean two entirely different things. A rifle can be banned as a named gun, as a "copy" of a named gun (or as an "imitation" of the Colt AR-15 or CAR-15), or as a "copy cat." If it is none of those three things, it is not banned.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Honorably discharged veterans have to get handgun license?

There is an exemption in the House-passed bill for "a member or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard." I do not know what "retired" means in this context.

Is it legal to own hi cap magazines purchased prior to 10/13?

Yes, there is no prohibition on the possession of any magazines that were lawfully purchased. It is like the federal ban that was in effect from 1994 to 2004, in this respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom