• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Any recommendations on a backpack that will hold a disassembled AR? I'd want a separate compartments for the upper and lower. 16 inch barrel.

I'd also prefer something that isn't tacticool. Something that looks like a normal Joe Schmo bag would be great.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Then just get a general Joe Schmoe Walmart backpack.

Otherwise, Recycled Firefighter makes great gear. Made in USA.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    OP, I happened upon / tripped over the backpacks “intended” for camera gear carry when a buddy who was having a freaking fire sale on his gun collection also had a ton of camera/audio/visual in the same room we the vultures (his friends) were picking over weapons in. I’ve often favored second hand musical instrument hard cases and soft bags for travel but, that day, my eye kept going back to the several “camera backpacks” on another table. Granted, I bought them all with an eye toward our travel SUb2000’s but, no doubt in my mind you’ll find one with the dimensions you’re needing (ie some are “tall” / “long” enough for tripods, etc.

The ones I snagged have dividers that suit our needs perfectly; and,

Best part is, on top of EXTRA THICK padding is, many are WATERPROOF!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bags-c...ks/pcmcat328900050010.c?id=pcmcat328900050010

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Then just get a general Joe Schmoe Walmart backpack.

Otherwise, Recycled Firefighter makes great gear. Made in USA.

Problem with Joe Schmoe Walmart bags is they arent long enough and don't have many options when it comes to a solid divider in the bag.

I'll check the recycled firefighter option.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I've got a Vertx Gamut and Gamut Plus. I love them both, and the Gamut was my EDC, until I shifted to the Dark Angel Medical AARK pack. Those Vertx bags are incredibly well built, and you can't go wrong with them.
    However, in my experience, both are too small to close on a 16" barrel AR upper.

If you do decide to go with a Vertx bag, though, for some other purpose, they're running a sale this weekend. 30%off if you use code VTX7420.

Kelty's Redwing 50 will let you squeeze a 16" upper in. However, it's a big bag, and may not have enough separation between components, or padding, for you.

The Redwing's hydration pack sleeve will retain your upper, and the lower can fit in the main compartment. But, it's only a thin sheet of nylon separating the components.

Grey Ghost Gear's Apparition bag is designed to hold a rifle, and would fit your bill of lower profile. GGG is having a 44% off sale this weekend, but they've sold out of the Apparition, unfortunately.

5.11 Tactical's LV M4 is a similar idea to GGG's Apparition, and may also fit your bill.

Good luck in your search, and let us know what you find.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I replaced my 20 year old ecd north face with a osprey nebula last year. I just verified that it will fit an AR and a shockwave shotgun in the laptop compartment.

I tried two sub $50 walmart bags before this and they both sucked. One ripped out when I shoved a jacket in it, and the other has a horrible zipper design that jams unless you do it just right. After that experience I wanted something I could touch in person before buying. The REI in Columbia had a decent non-tacticool selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom