• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdHershon

Oct 2, 2018
    Annapolis
    I find myself looking at range backpacks. I think I’ve narrowed my list down to 2 packs: the Savior Equipment Mobile Arsenal or the Midway USA Range Bag.

They are close in size, features and price.

Does anyone have these bags and I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I don't know anything about the Savior Equipment stuff, but I have had a few Midway range bags that start to fall apart pretty quickly.

I bought one new, one used and had another as a gift. I consider them to be throw-aways after a couple years, max. First thing that happens is the imitation velcro closure strips begin losing their grip, then start coming unstitched, then the cheapest zippers I have ever seen start going, then the seams (with just enough material overlap to hold the stitches for a while).

By contrast, I have a CamelBak Talon I used for shooting equipment and ammo almost daily for 6 years that still works - zippers still good, no holes, no bad seams, no loose velcro (although its grip is not what it used to be), just extremely faded from a lot of fun in the sun.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't know anything about the Savior Equipment stuff, but I have had a few Midway range bags that start to fall apart pretty quickly.

I bought one new, one used and had another as a gift. I consider them to be throw-aways after a couple years, max. First thing that happens is the imitation velcro closure strips begin losing their grip, then start coming unstitched, then the cheapest zippers I have ever seen start going, then the seams (with just enough material overlap to hold the stitches for a while).

By contrast, I have a CamelBak Talon I used for shooting equipment and ammo almost daily for 6 years that still works - zippers still good, no holes, no bad seams, no loose velcro (although its grip is not what it used to be), just extremely faded from a lot of fun in the sun.
    Velcro is evil.

EdHershon

Oct 2, 2018
    Annapolis
    I was interested in the Midway because it’s made in the USA and I want to keep my dollars here. But if it’s junk, not interested.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I was interested in the Midway because it’s made in the USA and I want to keep my dollars here. But if it’s junk, not interested.

I have been using Midway USA regular range bags for almost 16 years. The have been great about replacing a bag that had a zipper issue. When there were several complaints about the shoulder straps breaking they sent out replacements without me contacting them.

I would assume their backpacks would be just as good.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I've used one of the G.P.S. Handgunner Backpacks for the last couple of years and love it.
    Prior to this I used mainly Maxpedition, and before that Midway.

I use it for class, fits 100 round mtm case and my rear bag in the lower portion. It's an awesome and well thought out bag

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Velcro is evil.

Why, velcro was all over my skydiving equipment and it served me well, of course at 2000 feet above the ground I don't care who hears my shoulder riser covers coming loose when the main risers are being pulled to full extension after the bag has been pulled out of the container and the parachute is being pulled out of the deployment bag.

Oops! Skydiving flashback!

It is amazing that a skydiving rig, harness and container, is sewed together with thread and various parts are closed with velcro.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I don’t have a range backpack per se, but I have a 5.11 range bag that I have used for the last 7 years or so and it has not shown any wear. I load it up, sometimes very heavily. Today I had it at a 3 gun match with 150 rounds of 12 ga., 200 rounds of 9mm, and 250 rounds of 5.56. plus multiple magazines and my pistol.
    I also have a couple of their backpacks that I have used at the range and for travel and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I'm cheap and don't worry about name brands most of the time. I use an Ozark Trail backpack from Wally World, about $15. If it wears out I'll buy another. Also use an AWP tool bag from Lowe's for ammo, about $10.

AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    Not a backpack, but I’ve had a Lynx Defense range bag for a few years. Made in NC, tough, and has not been babied. I tend to carry four pistols, a few hundred rounds of ammo, two sets of hearing protection, etc. in it. Very well put together:

Lynx Defense

Andreas

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom