• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My concern would be that I might not be fully aware of what I was seeing. Did I see a bad guy threatening a group of innocents who need me to intervene? Or am I watching a good guy defending himself against the mob of bad guys, and at risk of shooting the wrong person? Another scenario is that I'm watching two groups of bad guys fighting it out. All questions the police deal with every day. I remember hearing of an Air Force member firing in the air to help someone in Baltimore, over a decade ago. A police officer arrived on scene and had to make a quick judgement; the officer shot the Air Force member he saw firing a gun.
    Mryana, very valid points. Like I said, I am sure a myriad of questions and answers will be in one's mind in such situations.

----- Not directed at you, mryana, but for general info since Branca was mentioned previously.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My concern would be that I might not be fully aware of what I was seeing. Did I see a bad guy threatening a group of innocents who need me to intervene? Or am I watching a good guy defending himself against the mob of bad guys, and at risk of shooting the wrong person? Another scenario is that I'm watching two groups of bad guys fighting it out. All questions the police deal with every day. I remember hearing of an Air Force member firing in the air to help someone in Baltimore, over a decade ago. A police officer arrived on scene and had to make a quick judgement; the officer shot the Air Force member he saw firing a gun.
    You can’t run every possible, too many moving parts. There are a lot of considerations, moving parts, unexpected actions, and snap decisions.

The OODA loop. Learn it, live it, love it.

Rule #1 in any emergency where you are not in direct danger: check your own pulse.

Rule #2 your own safety is paramount. Selfish, but what is the use of being a dead hero? Yes, this will change depending on who is in danger.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Massad Ayoob discusses the Philando Castile case which also explains what to say or not to say and how to remain undead if stopped by police while carrying. How Mr Castile had a CCW as a scofflaw and pot smoker etc remains a huge question for me.

Because he didn’t have any criminal convictions on his record. He had one minor pot possession charge years before, but the charge was dropped. The “scofflaw” part is he got pulled over a huge amount. With the vast majority of the driving offenses dismissed (so yeah, probably racially profiled).

As far as the law was concerned at least, he wasn’t a criminal. Nor did the officer who shot him aware of any of that or the person in question either.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Because he didn’t have any criminal convictions on his record. He had one minor pot possession charge years before, but the charge was dropped. The “scofflaw” part is he got pulled over a huge amount. With the vast majority of the driving offenses dismissed (so yeah, probably racially profiled).

As far as the law was concerned at least, he wasn’t a criminal. Nor did the officer who shot him aware of any of that or the person in question either.
    Gotcha lazarus, I was thinking he had a reputed worse record which would of course disqualify someone for CCW.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Massad Ayoob discusses the Philando Castile case which also explains what to say or not to say and how to remain undead if stopped by police while carrying. How Mr Castile had a CCW as a scofflaw and pot smoker etc remains a huge question for me.

Simple answer, he wasn't, he was legal firearms owner and legal CCW carrier.
    As for what to say to LE, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It really is that simple for both.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If a peaceable gun owner can be killed by police without repercussions for the government agent(s) involved, the 2nd amendment is effectively meaningless.

My views are simple..

No one who is planning on breaking into your home is going to tell someone else their plan sooo..

They will never leave my home alive.
    No 911 will be called
    Body will never be found..

As far as the rest of the world goes, the invader never existed..

They will need to actually break in though.. im not shooting someone on my porch or in my yard..

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My views are simple..

No one who is planning on breaking into your home is going to tell someone else their plan sooo..

No 911 will be called

They will need to actually break in though.. im not shooting someone on my porch or in my yard..

*****Please make sure to use your legs and not your back when lifting the body! :thumbsup:

safety-first.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    As a Grouchy Old White Guy, I'm well aware of being a serious threat to the community for my assumed beliefs. Therefore, during my interactions with the police while in my vehicle, I take special pains to keep both hands in view on the steering wheel when Officer Friendly approaches.

This does not appear to be SOP with LEO interactions with POC, at least, not the interactions that end with one or another approaching room temperature. I have a tough time comprehending why this should be so.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Please make sure to use your legs and not your back when lifting the body! :thumbsup:

View attachment 369764
    My good friend who passed away last year, told me a funny one from his former work place. Where they posted signs for safe work practices like this. He told me he fixed their one sign. It used to say, "Protect your back. When lifting, use your legs. " He told me he crossed out legs and wrote in " forklift"

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    My views are simple..

No 911 will be called

Unless the recently deceased (armed?) criminal did tell someone, and/or his partner/s in crime who were waiting for the all clear signal fled when they heard the fatal gunshots. Now you may have a bigger problem than if you called 911 for a righteous shooting. Just something to consider. LOL

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    As a Grouchy Old White Guy, I'm well aware of being a serious threat to the community for my assumed beliefs. Therefore, during my interactions with the police while in my vehicle, I take special pains to keep both hands in view on the steering wheel when Officer Friendly approaches.

This does not appear to be SOP with LEO interactions with POC, at least, not the interactions that end with one or another approaching room temperature. I have a tough time comprehending why this should be so.
    Bob A. I learned the proper or recommended thing to do if stopped by officers. The crazy part is I try my best to drive extra safely. However, if you'd have asked the 16 year old me if I would have predicted even close to how many times in 42 years of driving would be my actual number, I'd have seriously underestimated. But, of the actual stops, only a few times was I actually violating traffic laws or speed limits. Other times were them checking me out for my own safety, such as one night on 695 at like 3-4 am no tail lights. Both bulbs had burned out. Ha, I asked the cop if he wanted me to just put new bulbs in right there or what? He said no and told me to use my hazards. I thanked him for stopping me to alert me of the issue. Crazy thing is, with 1 screw per tail light,. I could have fixed it faster than it was for him to write me the inspection ticket.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    A few other times, I got pulled over usually at night again. Once in York PA on my Harley. I made a u turn to hit a gas station I had passed, but the intersection was not well marked for no u turn. I had passed the sign and didn't see it by the time I changed lanes to get to the left turn lane at the light. Of course a cop had to be off to my right to see my unintentional mistake in that unknown area. $65 blown. I was pissed. Other times I had issues not crossing center lines as cops tailed me too close and headlights blinded me. Those times cops checked to make sure I wasn't drunk. Which I was not.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My views are simple..

No 911 will be called

I don’t get the instinct to hide a criminal intruder’s trespass, threat, and your reaction to it. Unless the concern is that you deliberately intend to use lethal force when you won’t have the legal cover for it.

Also: everybody has a mobile phone. That guy’s ping/GPS trail will lead right up to your door.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I don’t get the instinct to hide a criminal intruder’s trespass, threat, and your reaction to it. Unless the concern is that you deliberately intend to use lethal force when you won’t have the legal cover for it.

Also: everybody has a mobile phone. That guy’s ping/GPS trail will lead right up to your door.

It’s frankly the most fanciful and bluntly stupid things said by some in regards to defense of their home. It’s just murder at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom