• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Ok yes I forgot about those two counties in the state. Anyways, I hope your boy put it to good use. Unless he was taking it to a taxidermist, it ain’t worth anything right now. Maybe he can at least use it to practice skinning fox. Not an easy skill to master. They are very thin skinned, and it’s very easy to mess up around the ears, eyes, nose and mouth.
    Even harder to do if you want to keep the claws and pads on the hide.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Ok yes I forgot about those two counties in the state. Anyways, I hope your boy put it to good use. Unless he was taking it to a taxidermist, it ain’t worth anything right now. Maybe he can at least use it to practice skinning fox. Not an easy skill to master. They are very thin skinned, and it’s very easy to mess up around the ears, eyes, nose and mouth.
    Even harder to do if you want to keep the claws and pads on the hide.

That boy of mine is a grown man now and has been killing skinning and trapping foxes and whatever swims or crawls or trots around the county since he could walk around without me watching him.

He put it to real good use right in the manure shed next to chicken house #3.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    That boy of mine is a grown man now and has been killing skinning and trapping foxes and whatever swims or crawls or trots around the county since he could walk around without me watching him.

He put it to real good use right in the manure shed next to chicken house #3.

Understood! Your boy and I sound a lot alike. Dying breed we are.
    Good day, sir.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Where are the hounds and horses?

In Maryland hounds and horses do not Hunt Foxes, it is properly called Fox Chasing because they do not try to intentionally kill the fox. However the Hunt must posses a Furbearer Permit.

A couple of interesting points I came across:
    In Charles and Dorchester counties, a person may hunt and trap fox or possess the pelt of a fox any time of the year.
    It is unlawful to kill a fox being pursued by dogs in Cecil, Harford, Kent and Wicomico counties.

Link to Furbearer regulations:
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/furbearer-hunting-trapping/

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Always in season if you get the free permit from DNR.

Shooting dogs chasing livestock was made illegal in MD Oct. 1, 2013. Only a LEO can do it while in the act. Try telling that to a horse owner as a ____ is eating his foal. Or my kids, as some asshats labradoodle is killing his ducks. I'll SSS an you MYOB!

What? So you can kill wild animals that aren’t dogs if they are attacking livestock. But you can’t if the species happens to be a dog?

Plenty of wild dogs. And frankly if a dog is attack livestock, it needs to go.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Why? It’s out of season to do so. Foxes are needed in the wilderness. If you have foxes, then there’s a good possibility you don’t have any/many coyotes in that area.
    Foxes are way less of a risk to the wildlife than coyotes are. Foxes won’t eat baby deer, and it’s not nearly as big of a threat to the turkeys compared to coyotes.
    I’m a trapper, and hate to see the foxes taken for no reason. Now when they are after your livestock, that’s a different story, do what you got to do.

Coyotes, kill them all, I don’t see any good reason to keep them around.

By the way, I get so many people telling me that foxes are getting their chickens, or eggs. They want me to trap them for them. Most of the time eggs are taken by raccoons, and from my experience hawks are killing more chickens than foxes.

So you are saying to kill as many coyotes as you can but leave the foxes alone?

Doesnt make sense to me ,coyotes are native to the area and foxes were imported.I dont go out of my way to kill either one,but if a target of opportunity presents itself.....

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    What? So you can kill wild animals that aren’t dogs if they are attacking livestock. But you can’t if the species happens to be a dog?

Plenty of wild dogs. And frankly if a dog is attack livestock, it needs to go.

Wild animals attacking livestock or humans are DOA. Thanks to the bleeding hearts of MD, any dog attacking a human or livestock can only be shot/killed by a LEO. It's an O'Malley Oct. 01,2013 law.

Bad part about feral dogs is they are breeding with coyotes. So you have a bigger K9 with no fear of humans.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    In all MD counties with the exception of Balto Country a hunting license and or furbearer permit isn’t required to hunt Nutria & Woodchucks.

Wonder if a hunter. Safety Card is required?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Friend had a dozen or so chickens, Mr. Fox took three for a snack, left 4th badly injured.

He asked me to assist him getting Mr Fox, therefore the question: is it legal to shoot Mr Fox without a license for the destruction of his chickens?

Your buddy can get a landowner nuisance permit and have your name put down as a sub-permitee. Once you have the paperwork in your hands, you can go hunt or trap his problem foxes. I have a landowner who did this with me. I only caught 2 foxes under it, but they were also foxes 18 and 19 taken there. I got 17 during the open season. Unfortunately coyotes decided to kill their chickens that spring, so all those dead foxes were for naught. Though I do utilize the in-season ones. I am a terrible coyote trapper. I've trapped since 2000 and have only caught 2 coyotes lol.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I consider it different, but I don't know how the DNR considers it. I am not hunting when I sit out with a yard gun relaxing in my chair and a fox comes after my chickens, I am protecting my property. I will tell you I need something better than 10 ga #4 3.5" shells. Maybe T or 00 sized projectiles. That said, me or my daughter could do it, but not my buddy that doesn't own the chickens.

I would be hunting if I wandered around looking for them actively. They must keep their social distance from my chickens, cats and other stuff and I won't assault with projectiles.

seungkoo

Apr 4, 2020
    I tried to call animal control due to a fox with mange in my yard. Animal control refused to come out and said I can do what I need to if I had to.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I don't really think Animal control and the DNR cares much about nuisance animals unless it would be a bear or a mountain lion, but the latter is very rare. Our neighbor had a coon they though was rabid and called animal control and they said
    AC "Shoot it and bag and throw it away."
    Neighbor "I don;t own a gun"
    AC "Your neighbors got guns?"
    Neighbor "yes"
    AC "Call you neighbor, have him shoot it, then bag and throw it away."

Although I had a doe in the yard that was obvious head trauma or something and called poacher hotline to ask if I could put her down and they were like "NO" we'll be right out.

So nuisance animals no one is going to really waste time poaching them. Meat on the hoof and better you be careful.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't really think Animal control and the DNR cares much about nuisance animals unless it would be a bear or a mountain lion, but the latter is very rare. Our neighbor had a coon they though was rabid and called animal control and they said
    AC "Shoot it and bag and throw it away."
    Neighbor "I don;t own a gun"
    AC "Your neighbors got guns?"
    Neighbor "yes"
    AC "Call you neighbor, have him shoot it, then bag and throw it away."

Although I had a doe in the yard that was obvious head trauma or something and called poacher hotline to ask if I could put her down and they were like "NO" we'll be right out.

So nuisance animals no one is going to really waste time poaching them. Meat on the hoof and better you be careful.

I’ve heard similar. Had a neighbor ask me to shoot an obviously sick raccoon in her yard. She called animal control, they said to call the county police. County police said to call animal control. Animal control then said “where are you? Ask a neighbor, they’ve got guns”.

She had guns too, but didn’t want to make a ruckus so I shot it with a crossbow.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I woke "everybody" up Memorial day morning. Well at least within 400 yards. A fox tree'd my cat in the front yard. You know how loud a 10ga 3.5" shell is at 6:10am? Really, really loud, if you didn't know. LOL

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I woke "everybody" up Memorial day morning. Well at least within 400 yards. A fox tree'd my cat in the front yard. You know how loud a 10ga 3.5" shell is at 6:10am? Really, really loud, if you didn't know. LOL

LoL. I was in my garage this morning with my 10/22 hanging out the window waiting to see if the two fox that were hanging out near my coop were going to snoop closer. But they didn’t. Hung out 10yds away from the coop in the woods for a couple minutes and then trotted off to frolic on some logs 50yds further away. Looked like a vixen and her kit based on size.

10/22 it was loaded with quiets. Gotta get my butt to the range after swapping barrels so I can finally start running my can.

Coop and run are pretty secure. Fox could probably dig under the wire if it was smart and dedicated. The wire runs to the ground and then out on the ground about 2ft out from the walls with some gravel and a few heavy rocks weighting it down. No evidence anything’s tried in the year we have been here. And it’s roofed over with wire too.

Not going to take chances if I see one actively screwing with my chickens or trying to get in.

But I figure they keep the bunnies and squirrels in check a little. Which helps with our garden. Not sure if they’d tackle a ground hog or not. And the kids aren’t hit in letting me whack bunnies for the stew pot and my wife won’t eat squirrel.

Sooooooo...

Guess I leave the fox alone unless they prove to be an issue here (last house it was much easier for them to get in to the run. So I did whack a couple then that were trying to dig under, plus we free ranged them sometimes. Don’t do that here as they’ve got a bigger run that’s more secure and basically being in the woods I don’t have 30+ he sight lines to predators if they are free ranging. It’s more like a few yards if they are feeding around the edge of the woods. Plus lots of hawks live in my woods)

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Animals killing livestock: Livestock comes first! Take out the Predator

Foxes in your backyard and NO livestock around? I bet you don't have a Squirrel or a Rat problem!

Food Chain!

Something to think about.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Animals killing livestock: Livestock comes first! Take out the Predator

Foxes in your backyard and NO livestock around? I bet you don't have a Squirrel or a Rat problem!

Food Chain!

Something to think about.

Nope. Still have a squirrel and field mouse problem. Trying to imagine what it would be like without all the fox though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom