• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BD28

Jun 5, 2020
    I'm getting ready to start a 224 Valkyrie build.looking for suggestions on recommended barrel length, twist rate and manufacturers. Will only being using factory ammo no interest right now of getting into reloading.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I thought about one for a while and concluded it was just too eclectic and didnt do that much more than some of the other calibers I shoot. Especially if you are not going to reload.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    What is your intended purpose for the gun? Varmints or PRS? I don't have any experience with hunting using a Valkyrie, just target, long range shooting, and PRS style events.

I'm assuming you are looking for an AR platform as opposed to bolt gun (I have both.) I would look for a twist rate of 1/7 and a length of 20" at the minimum. Barrels of 24" give you optimum performance and distance (that is what I have on my bolt gun.)

If you can find a 1/6.5 twist rate it is even better if you want to use the heavier than 90 grain bullets. I know Faxon makes a 1/6.5. I went with a Cross Machine and Tool 22" 1/7 upper on one of my Engage lowers for my gas gun. The 6.8 SPC mags from Alexander Arms have worked flawlessly in my gun. It also loves the Hornady 88 grain ELD Match. It didn't like the Federal GM 90's. The cheap American Eagle 75's also perform well out of this gun.

Here are some links for your research.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/224-valkyrie-complete-guide/
    https://www.ammoland.com/2018/06/22...ate-battle-of-1000-yard-ar-15s/#axzz6QiBCYXsJ

Here is my Valkyrie gas gun.
    MDA-20200606-437-Combined-XL.jpg

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    mine is a mega arms mkm upper/lower/forearm. rainier ultramatch 24" 7.5t, +2 gas barrel. jp bolt and buffer, geissele ssa-e trigger. they said with longer barrels=higher velocity that the 7.5 twist works well and it does, very accurate with factory hornady 88 eldm ammo. as mac noted, not as good with fed 90 but i haven't tried current production. had some cycling issues but thanks to 3paul10's gracious help we got it running consistently though i haven't used it much lately (no nearby gas gun matches).

BD28

Jun 5, 2020
    What is your intended purpose for the gun? Varmints or PRS? I don't have any experience with hunting using a Valkyrie, just target, long range shooting, and PRS style events.

I'm assuming you are looking for an AR platform as opposed to bolt gun (I have both.) I would look for a twist rate of 1/7 and a length of 20" at the minimum. Barrels of 24" give you optimum performance and distance (that is what I have on my bolt gun.)

If you can find a 1/6.5 twist rate it is even better if you want to use the heavier than 90 grain bullets. I know Faxon makes a 1/6.5. I went with a Cross Machine and Tool 22" 1/7 upper on one of my Engage lowers for my gas gun. The 6.8 SPC mags from Alexander Arms have worked flawlessly in my gun. It also loves the Hornady 88 grain ELD Match. It didn't like the Federal GM 90's. The cheap American Eagle 75's also perform well out of this gun.

Here are some links for your research.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/224-valkyrie-complete-guide/
    https://www.ammoland.com/2018/06/22...ate-battle-of-1000-yard-ar-15s/#axzz6QiBCYXsJ

Here is my Valkyrie gas gun.
    MDA-20200606-437-Combined-XL.jpg
    I plan on using for target and long range shooting. I have a Aero Precision receiver set I will use for the build. I was looking at a Craddock Precision 22 in 1/7 +2 inch gas system.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I plan on using for target and long range shooting. I have a Aero Precision receiver set I will use for the build. I was looking at a Craddock Precision 22 in 1/7 +2 inch gas system.
    Have you looked into 6mm ARC? It's going to be a better distance cartridge.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Have you looked into 6mm ARC? It's going to be a better distance cartridge.

Although I won’t argue the point - from what I’ve seen, the 224 Valkyrie is good enough for me. Not many of us reach out past 1000 yards too frequently and I’ve seen a Valk make 1000 yards look stupid easy. If you have 6.8 spc mags and 6.8 bolt like I and many others do, then this is a no brainer.

BD28

Jun 5, 2020
    The reason I was looking at the 224 valkyrie is most of my shooting will be 1000 yds or less and only once in awhile will it be at 1000 yds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom