• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its a nice AR and it will sell out fast just like the COsta LaRue Rifles did.

Interesting that Costa or Haley dont put their name on Piston AR's, Im usre theres a reason for that.

AMStrick

May 15, 2012
    Port Tobacco
    Have to agree if $2,150 is the asking price, I'd have to pass. Picked up a BCM mod-2 this past Spring and put an EOtech 516 on it.

I have less than $1,800 tied up in this combination. Now if BCM included an EOtech or Aimpont for the $2,150 price it would be a nice package at a reasonable cost.

From my perspective too expensive for an AR painted gery.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Its a nice AR and it will sell out fast just like the COsta LaRue Rifles did.

Interesting that Costa or Haley dont put their name on Piston AR's, Im usre theres a reason for that.

I feel like the piston thing is dying out. You don't see many new offerings. Personally I'm sticking with tried and true DI.

The reason it will sell fast is sensationalism. Two popular guys in the AR/tactical world put their name on something and it will sell. However I bet a Paul Howe rifle wouldn't sell very well. He's the quiet type professional. Low profile, but one scary dude. If Howe put his name on a rifle, I would buy it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I feel like the piston thing is dying out. You don't see many new offerings. Personally I'm sticking with tried and true DI.

The reason it will sell fast is sensationalism. Two popular guys in the AR/tactical world put their name on something and it will sell. However I bet a Paul Howe rifle wouldn't sell very well. He's the quiet type professional. Low profile, but one scary dude. If Howe put his name on a rifle, I would buy it.

The guys with skill want the best. Some people accept that experience and knowledge and buy things those guys develop and use.

Ever notice how you rarely see guys who train often, rarely keep their weapon the same. It is because they change their gear and weapons as they learn. Those guys do the "homework" for you, so to say.

Yes its marketing to some extent but the foundation of the item is solid and purpose driven. Theres lots of guys on Forums and Gunshops that will throw a ton of stuff on their weapon because they saw it somewhere else, or think it looks cool, yet they have no idea how items work together, and how those mods may alter operation/performance.

BCM, Haley, Costa, LaRue and the like make/support purpose driven equipment. Some of its expensve, but at least it isnt held together with a box of set screws. ;). Look at the Rail System interface with the Barrel Nut in the video. Its SOLID. I cant say the same for some other manufacturers rails that cost the same.

If I were a Nascar Fan and had the opportunity to buy the same car used on the track I probably would. Problem is many people dont know how to utilize that much of a car and dont have the logistical support to keep the car running.

Im sure Haley could run a bone stock M4 pretty good, but he rarely runs anything stock and theres a reason for that.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Can you even get a base model BCM rifle for $1250? :innocent0

Yeah va arms i believe a complete rifle is 1100 and their prices tend to be high.

I built my bcms for well under 1000 for a basic rifle. Adding my stuff im obviously above. Id still choose bcm over most other out there. Its top quality stuff and the prices are not outrageous. They keep incresing but hopfully that will stop.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Im building a rifle that's similar to the Jack carbine right now..but I don't think it's as over priced as some of you make it out to be. People wanting it at 1250 is a dream that would never happen. If this was a 16" barrel and a 13" geissele rail I would have maybe bought this before I built one.

Cost:
    Lower Stripped: $120
    Alg trigger $60
    LPK $60
    BCM Buffer Tube Kit : $70 (hbuffer)
    B5 BCM Stock $60
    BCM Gunfigther Grip $30
    BCM CH $45
    BCM BCG $160
    BCM 14.5 mid length upper $520
    BCM Comp Pinned $100
    Geissele Rail SMR Mk1 $320ish
    Troy Battlesights $175
    Thorntail and WML light $175
    Cerakoted whole gun $300
    qd endplate $20

If you were to buy everything separate it would cost you $2200 If somebody can build this rifle for $1250 please show me and ill buy it. This isn't for everybody but your getting all top quality parts for the price. PLUS you get a $200 credit for a haley training class.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im building a rifle that's similar to the Jack carbine right now..but I don't think it's as over priced as some of you make it out to be. People wanting it at 1250 is a dream that would never happen. If this was a 16" barrel and a 13" geissele rail I would have maybe bought this before I built one.

Cost:
    Alg trigger $60
    LPK $60
    B5 BCM Stock $60
    BCM Gunfigther Grip $30
    BCM CH $45
    BCM BCG $160
    BCM Comp Pinned $100
    Troy Battlesights $175
    Cerakoted whole gun $300
    qd endplate $20

If you were to buy everything separate it would cost you $2200 If somebody can build this rifle for $1250 please show me and ill buy it. This isn't for everybody but your getting all top quality parts for the price. PLUS you get a $200 credit for a haley training class.

Please dont bring actual cost and facts into this conversation. Any AR that costs more than $600 is "obviosuly" a waste, and all a marketing ruse.;)

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Please dont bring actual cost and facts into this conversation. Any AR that costs more than $600 is "obviosuly" a waste, and all a marketing ruse.;)

Plus i didnt account having it built by a great company so QC will be there and you know it will be assembled correctly and with attention to detail. Plus BCM stands behind their stuff. All depends what you want out of a rifle. The only thing I wish was different on this rifle would be a SSA trigger instead of the ALG.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    For some of us that don't shoot in competition, aren't putting the gun through a lot of abuse, and aren't shooting longer than 100 yards this gun is excessive. They way I look at this, is that I don't need the light or the cerakote so there is $475. And for the shooting that I do, the Geissele rail is simply not needed, so there is another $320 that can be subtracted for a total of $795. This takes the total down to $1355, add in a rail for about half the cost and you're looking at a $1500 gun. I'd buy it for $1500 hands down.

I don't think anybody is saying this gun isn't worth it. If I needed the performance and durability then it would be worth it, however I use it for mainly 100 yard range shooting (plinking really). Personally I did put a BCM upper and barrel on my AR because of various recommendations that I received, however I just don't think I'd spend $2150 for this one.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    For some of us that don't shoot in competition, aren't putting the gun through a lot of abuse, and aren't shooting longer than 100 yards this gun is excessive. They way I look at this, is that I don't need the light or the cerakote so there is $475. And for the shooting that I do, the Geissele rail is simply not needed, so there is another $320 that can be subtracted for a total of $795. This takes the total down to $1355, add in a rail for about half the cost and you're looking at a $1500 gun. I'd buy it for $1500 hands down.

I don't think anybody is saying this gun isn't worth it. If I needed the performance and durability then it would be worth it, however I use it for mainly 100 yard range shooting (plinking really). Personally I did put a BCM upper and barrel on my AR because of various recommendations that I received, however I just don't think I'd spend $2150 for this one.

Yeah i agree for your purposes/wants it wouldn't be a good choice since you would ditch half of the stuff on there. But if you want a gun you could run out the box at high level training classes I think this would fit the bill nicely. It all depends on what your needs/wants are.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

Cost:
    Alg trigger $60
    LPK $60
    B5 BCM Stock $60
    BCM Gunfigther Grip $30
    BCM CH $45
    BCM BCG $160
    BCM Comp Pinned $100
    Troy Battlesights $175
    Cerakoted whole gun $300
    qd endplate $20

The only major differences I saw are a finish, proprietary barrel nut, expensive rail, and upgraded stock trigger. That video is badass and has me wanting one. It seems like that thing can take one HELL of a beating. He said it is for operators which is what led me to believe it was a huge marketing thing. The only "operators" I know of are issued weapons. Like I said, it looks badass, but it's absolutely nothing revolutionary or industry changing.
    As far as the light, I don't want it in m field of view on the left, it's annoying and I don't hold my arm fully extended while shooting so that mount does me no good. I doubt anyone else who buys this rifle will be engaging anything other than paper or steel so it seems like alot of James Bond gear on a rifle that will be used for Sesame Street tasks. Again, I like the rifle. I'm a hypocrite. I have a Surefire on my rifle and I only shoot in daylight. I have a suppressor mount but no can (yet). I guess it's fun to have all the goodies even if you don't use em. In case or whatever.

Either way, cool rifle!

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    It's.. It's GLORIOUS!

epusu2u8.jpg

What can I say, I'm a sucker for good marketing.

Although my current build cost me about as much as that.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    The only major differences I saw are a finish, proprietary barrel nut, expensive rail, and upgraded stock trigger. That video is badass and has me wanting one. It seems like that thing can take one HELL of a beating. He said it is for operators which is what led me to believe it was a huge marketing thing. The only "operators" I know of are issued weapons. Like I said, it looks badass, but it's absolutely nothing revolutionary or industry changing.
    As far as the light, I don't want it in m field of view on the left, it's annoying and I don't hold my arm fully extended while shooting so that mount does me no good. I doubt anyone else who buys this rifle will be engaging anything other than paper or steel so it seems like alot of James Bond gear on a rifle that will be used for Sesame Street tasks. Again, I like the rifle. I'm a hypocrite. I have a Surefire on my rifle and I only shoot in daylight. I have a suppressor mount but no can (yet). I guess it's fun to have all the goodies even if you don't use em. In case or whatever.

Either way, cool rifle!

Definitely not for everybody but what gun are you comparing it too? The rail is rock solid IMO. Also most guns come with a $3 a2 flash hider not a $90 compensator, a standard ch vs the bcm, which IMO is a huge improvement. Troy battle sights most guns come with no rear and a front sight post , nothing or magpul sights(100+ difference).

But like I said depends on what you want out of a rifle. If you don't want all the upgrades on here then yeah buy a plain Jane colt and run it to death, their great too. Personally I want a couple rifles I could take to extremely intensive weekend classes and night classes and run to hell. Not everyone will want or need that, so if I wasn't already building one similar this would appeal to me.

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    So what's the general consensus towards the EAG carbine they have out. I kinda think its priced well as a complete upper. I'm thinking about picking one up, or another LMT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom