• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    If someone :D was interested in an ak47 what would he be looking for in a rifle? I have never owned or shot one so help me out ..please...

treehugger

Dec 2, 2010
    Takoma Park
    "Avtomat" I want one too, guidance would be helpful, beyond what plant its manufactured from, but bang for buck , and the best top flite unit

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Look for a foreign arsenal-built rifle with an original chrome-lined barrel. That can run the gamut from a Romanian WASR-10/63 (spotty quality) to an Arsenal Bulgarian/Russian sporter conversion (good quality) to a VEPR conversion (great quality) to an older pre-ban Chinese or Egyptian (also good quality).

My favorites all feature a 100-series folding polymer solid stock.. All of the other folders on AKs are poor compromises in one way or another. Both Russian and Bulgarians can be had with these.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Arsenal Bulgarian/Russian sporter conversion sounds good.
    What kind of pricing are we talking. I would like to get one and don't want junk but also don't care about having top of the line and not spend $1000.00 if thats possible.
    7.62x39 would be my preference.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Assuming you just want a good shooter, and aren't interesting in a specific look/type. Just get an Arsenal and be done with it. They are about the best you can get for the money.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Arsenal Bulgarian/Russian sporter conversion sounds good.
    What kind of pricing are we talking. I would like to get one and don't want junk but also don't care about having top of the line and not spend $1000.00 if thats possible.
    7.62x39 would be my preference.

If it's Arsenal you want, plan on paying $1000 - minimum.

If your interested in a ak, you can go into two different ways.
    USED
    -Usually it's a lot riskier for first time buyers,
    due to not being familiar with inspecting
    components.
    - For 100-150 more than a good used one, you can get a
    brand spanking new rifle.
    - Most Are already 922r compliant (taking in 30 rd.+ mags.)
    -regulated firearms.

NEW
    - New, unused, in full spec.
    -Not 922r compliant ( important if you want to mod the gun in any way)
    -Costs a bit more, but generally worth it if you plan on using the rifle for many years to come.
    - Saigas and VEPR's are unregulated arms in original imported hunting config.

Now buying used rifles can come in different config's
    USED
    -Yugoslavian
    -Polish
    -Chinese (norinco)
    - Romanian, etc
    Also there are VEPR's and Saigas (are only like $50 less than new sometimes)

New
    -Saiga from original Ismash Factory
    - VEPR's form MOLOT State production plant (higher quality that original saiga's due to RPK receivers) One of the best you can buy direct from factory.
    Romanian M+M: 922r comp. available, big + (lowers cost)
    Serbian Zastava's, newly imported, great quality, almost the same price as VEPR's

Calibers: except NATO .308 (7.62x51mm) cal ) they come in two cal's 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm.

I would recommend 7.62 just because ammo is highly available, and I am not sure about 5.45 (maybe others do on the forum.)

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    If it's Arsenal you want, plan on paying $1000 - minimum.
    Base SGL21's and SGL31's are available from Atlantic Firearms for about $865ish.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ind...ct_id=11&virtuemart_category_id=23&Itemid=765

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ind..._id=1269&virtuemart_category_id=23&Itemid=765

My SGL21 is my go-to gun. Never had any kind of issue in the 600 or so rounds through it.

Gratuitous pic.
    E4RD003.jpg

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC

raff696

Nov 1, 2008
    If you are looking to go AK, century arms is a decent choice for a mid level AKM. It's not a bank breaker and its not a cheap WASR either! 7.62x39mm is the way to go, I just ordered 1K of ammo for $249.00 shipped! That's cheap!! I've put hundreds of rds thru it and it loves it all! Now that Obama is still in office just get one and prep for that SHTF day!

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    smokedog, thanks for starting this thread. I, too am interested in AKs but do not know much about them

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Arsenal or VEPR. Too bad it is hard to find the Hungarian's like you could 10 years ago. the days of a good Milled Bulgarian AK SLR95 for 400 bucks are long gone.

J&G has VEPR's in all calibers right now from 700 and up. VEPR's are true Russin manufacture and well made. I have a VEPR II in 5.56 that is a great gun.

http://www.jgsales.com/advanced_sea...tegories_id/209/inc_subcat/1/sort/3a/stID/320

Basically AK's come in 2 flavors, milled receivers and stamped receivers. Piston/Gas operated. Very simple to maintain and shoot. Very few moving parts. Cheap to make and parts are a dime a dozen. Field strip in about 20 seconds. Remove top cover, remove spring/recoil rod assembly, remove bolt/piston and wipe down. run a bore snake through the barrel and Re-assemble, that simple. If you want a gun that takes abuse and is easy to maintain, AK is about the best IMO.

I agree, buy them now, the value only goes up. Stay away from MAADI (egyptian variant), they were very crappy. They shoot, just not as high of quality as a Arsenal or VEPR for sure.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Any advice for someone looking to build an AK?
    I'm seeing lots of different parts kits. Anything specific to look for or avoid?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Eh, MAKs have a weird rear trunnion. Might think about a M+M M10. Cheap and good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom