Best way to store your rifle to prevent rust?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Just got a 16 gun safe. Damn thing weighs about 300 lbs. Had to brace up the floor under the house so it wouldn't sag after a time. What's a good de-humidifier to use in it?

If you safe allows -get something like a Golden Rod dehumifier. Its an electric model, that will keep the safe warmer than the outside temp. Your safe will need to have a hole in it to run the wiring.

My safe did not have holes, to run the wiring.

I use a Remington Model 365 Mini Dehumidifier. It is full of water absorbing crystals. Once the crystals change color - from blue to pink - the unit needs to be dried. You just plug it into a wall socket - the unit warms up, and boils the water out. It can take up to 18 hours to dry it. Ive been pleased with mine.

They are pretty inexpensive (about $25), and have a 10 year life. There cheap enough, that you can run more than one if need be!

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    If you safe allows -get something like a Golden Rod dehumifier. Its an electric model, that will keep the safe warmer than the outside temp. Your safe will need to have a hole in it to run the wiring.

I use a Remington Model 365 Mini Dehumidifier. It is full of water absorbing crystals. Once the crystals change color - from blue to pink - the unit needs to be dried. You just plug it into a wall socket - the unit warms up, and boils the water out. It can take up to 18 hours to dry it. Ive been pleased with mine.

They are pretty inexpensive (about $25), and have a 10 year life. There cheap enough, that you can run more than one if need be!

I use one of the remington ones too, and I have an industrial dehumidifier in the room too, so good to go.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

That's a keeper!

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Ok....maybe I should save the money then.....

My original plan was to buy a pelican case and throw some dessicant in there for storage. I don't see how that could be bad other than the wet foam mentioned.

But my experience is minimal.

Ultimate Member
    Hello all.

I shoot pistols 95% of the time. Well, let's say I HAVE shot pistols 95% of the time. That will probably change because I got my first AR. And I am concerned about storage. With my handguns, I clean them, wipe em down, and put them in my safe with dehumidifiers. Problem is, I do not have a safe large enough for rifles. The only rifle I have now is a 10/22 and I don't worry too much about it.

I have a soft rifle case that I bought with my AR. If I wipe the outside of the rifle with a rust inhibitor, and throw it in that case with a few silica packs, will I be good to go? What about the internals?

I realize it's an AR, and most of it is stainless, and I shouldn't feel the need to baby it. However, for periods where I go a long time without shooting it I would like to keep it as rust free as possible, and it gets really humid where I will be storing it.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

If you live in a house with basement be aware of the micro climates. The basements are generally humid and the attics tend to have large changes in temperature. You need the dehumidifying solids for long term. You should also apply some oil every ounce in a while.

There are some people that actually bury their rifles. The advocate a vacuum sealed bag and a lot of other stuff. You probably don't have to go that far.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I would think any petroleum based product that stays tacky would attract particulate.

Good point regarding the micro climates in a basement. Ours is dry as a bone but I've noticed that the attachment screw on my EOTech has developed a thin layer of rust. My M&P 9 also had some oxidation on what ever that coating is they put on the slide (S&W acknowledged issue).

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Well, as this is a rifle I'll be accessing fairly frequently for range use and stuff, the bags don't seem ideal. And I can't get a safe currently.

I went with one of those long plastic totes that you store stuff under your bed. I put a towel on the bottom of it, then I went to home depot and bought some "Rubber Foam Weatherseal" self stick tape, to create as close to an air tight seal as I can get. Then I'll throw a couple reusable silica packs or an Eva-Dry dehumidifier in there and call it finished.

Does this sound okay, or am I missing something? Towel a bad idea?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    A little goes a long way with Eezox. I use the can. For rust prevention I soak a patch rub it over the metal parts so they appear wet and run a soaked patch through the bore. After 24 hours or so, I use a dry patch to remove any excess (any that still appears wet) and run a dry patch once through the bore.I like to put down a "base" coat on new firearms by doing this twice at first (parked weapons seem to absorb it more and seem to "need" more treatments to get a "base"). Afterward, it takes no more than two semi-well soaked patches to do even all the metal on a rifle. On firearms I disassemble, I Eezox all the parts, wait a day and wipe off the excess before I reassemble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom