• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Not that a good rifle or shotgun would'nt be handy but I'd be more concerned about:
    Food
    Water
    Shelter
    Medicine
    Clothes
    Transportation
    Electric power
    How long are we talking, a week, a month, a year, for the rest of my life? Also, I think if I was defending my home from any, even poorly organized, mob I'm SOL. One bottle of gasoline with a lit rag and the house is gone, me too. If you're talking fighting against trained individuals/soldiers than I'm probably going to measure my remaining life in seconds. No way I could stand up to a trained force or individual. I'm thinking hunker down and wait it out.

When I think of SHTF, I think in terms of months/years. I would head for the hills. As far from cities and towns as I could get. Then you can have a relatively clean water supply, and plenty of food. You are unlikely to cross mobs of people since most people will likely head for cities and towns. No soldiers looking for you in the woods, either.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    When I think of SHTF, I think in terms of months/years. I would head for the hills. As far from cities and towns as I could get. Then you can have a relatively clean water supply, and plenty of food. You are unlikely to cross mobs of people since most people will likely head for cities and towns. No soldiers looking for you in the woods, either.

Clint Smith had a good article about all these people who are going to "head for the mountains" when the SHTF. When everyone heads for the countryside where is everyone going to live?

This isn't directed at just you, and it's not intended as inflamatory, but where exactly would you rough it? Would you stick to state and federal parks? Would you just sorta go wherever? Would you trespass on private property?

It sounds romantic to run for the wilds for privacy, security, and the ability to sustain yourself with hunted meat and cultivated produce. Hell, that was my plan (still is). But his article draws some concern; with all these people heading for the hills, where are they gonna go? Because if they think they can just sorta trapse around on other people's property, they're likely very mistaken.

Perhaps if you don't have family or friends with property you could make new friends and form an alliance. But I would be prepared with some type of useful skill to barter for admittance onto someone's property.

I hope the world never gets to this point and I certainly wish everyone the best if, God forbid, it does. But I'm not sure I'm going to be very friendly to newcomers, and I'm very sure that my neighbors will not either. In this situation, someone unknown to me who trespasses, will be dealt with as a threat until proven otherwise. Most country folks (at least where I live) aren't real keen on our urban and suburban population wandering in to proclaim themselves our new neighbors.

Just something to think about if you don't personally own property, don't have family or friends with property, and all the public lands are filled with people who planned the same way you did.

Please don't take it as a personal attack, just a point to ponder. Teratos, you may own a million acres somewhere, it's just a thought.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    When the SHTF, lets say nuclear war or zombie attack, I am less than concerned about property ownership. It would depend on the scope of the disaster.

I'll check out the article. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    When the SHTF, lets say nuclear war or zombie attack, I am less than concerned about property ownership. It would depend on the scope of the disaster.

I'll check out the article. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

I can tell you for a fact, the people that own property (in rural WV anyway) have put as much thought into keeping outsiders out, as the urban/suburban survivalist has into heading for those same rural areas.

Those who don't own property may not care about property lines, but the people who paid for that property do.

Both sides of the coin have considered the "what if's?". But those people in the country want to keep you out as much as you want to make that your backup plan.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    My choice would probably be my Arsenal SGL-31. It has a Trijicon RX06 optic (no batteries), is AK reliable, and the caliber has more punch than a 5.56 round. Yes, I know people argue in favor of an indigenous round that they say can be scrounged. But I think they are delusional. In any real SHTF/EOTWAWKI situation; all sources of ammo are going to be gobbled up in the first week or so (when the smart people will be holed up with their heads down). So all you can realistically count on is what you have stored. And I have (cough) many cans of surplus 5.45. :)

In such a situation, any ammo would need to be traded for, or taken from atackers. And in the later case you'd have taken their own weapons to use said ammo. IMO

Edit: And I have to agree with tss104. Everyone that thinks they can simply head for the hills and rough it, probably don't have the skills to survive in that type of environment; since they are making such an erroneous assumption in the first place. There are simply too many people in this country to return to a hunter-gatherer life style. A given amount of land can only support a fixed number of people. And if mobs of people migrate to the rural areas, thinking food and water is simply going to be supplied by mother nature, they are seriously mistaken. People already in these areas would have no choice but to refuse them entry/help, or risk their own survival chances.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    jawn - perfect link. It's a classic! The same guy has several other equally funny videos about guns and the people who frequent gun boards.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    If you have kids especially small ones, you are staying put and holding the fort. It's the only plan that makes sense.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    If you have kids especially small ones, you are staying put and holding the fort. It's the only plan that makes sense.

This..
    Also, I don't believe there is any one perfect combo for TSHTF. Bugging out, as noted earlier, is not a likely way to survive. Bugging in is the most likely scenario so get your supplies and stores in order now. Have a plan to live through anything and familiarize yourself with all of your potential weapons..

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Daddy, my thumbs hurt from loading magazines. Can I stop, I have blisters?

No, its training.

I can just imagine my 7 year old daughter explaining those blisters to her teacher.:D

"Daddy says the sh!t could hit the fan any day now.......:"

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Daddy, why can't I have bayonet training like Logan?

:lol2:

Daddy says NO! In Soviet Russia bayonet must charge you before you charge with bayonet. :lol2:

I can just imagine my 7 year old daughter explaining those blisters to her teacher.:D

"Daddy says the sh!t could hit the fan any day now.......:"

:lol2::thumbsup

I must say the LULA Loaders have decreased blisters by 6000% on my childrens hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom