• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoenix_55

Apr 19, 2011
    Virginia
    As spurred on by debate on another unrelated topic, Nemesis and I will be conducting a somewhat scientific test to put the old AK vs. AR accuracy to rest. I realize this has been beaten to death, and that someone has probably done this before but, I feel it would be fun, and a good time as well. This test will take place at the Myrtle Grove shooting range in Southern Maryland on the weekend of May 6th.

Nemesis will be contributing his Arsenal SGL21 AK pattern rifle in 7.62x39. He will be shooting Silver Bear. We will try and get ahold of some match ammo.

I will be contributing an AR-15 equipped as such:
    Spikes:
    Upper
    Lower
    Nickel Boron BCG

VLTOR A5

Sabre Defense Chrome lined 16" mid length gas:party29:

I will have Silver Bear in my respective caliber (.223/5.56). I will try and get ahold of some match ammo the same as or close to what Nemesis will hopefully be getting his hands on.

I would hash out the process for the test but, what do you guys think? Anyone able to contribute any ideas, ammo, or guns? Lets make a day out of it.

Mods, forgive me if this belongs in the regional forum, but I was hoping to get everyones input on process. If it needs to be moved, please help me out with that.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    If i dare guess, the AR will be more accurate.
    but after shooting 80,000 rounds, the AK will be more reliable.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Are you guys going to drop them, bury them, freeze them, dunk them in water, bury them in mud, fire them rapidly, throw the mags, ect....?

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    honestly i think the biggest limiter of the AK is its iron sights...great for hitting a target, not so good for hitting groups...but ill see what i can do...worst comes to worst ill just lay down some groups using the aimpoint just to get a general idea of the rifles capability.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Well wasnt the idea to test the ak's abilitly in a match enviroment or carbine course? Video is also required for the test.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    since the AK only costs about 1/2 as ,uch as an AR, then the AK would only have to do 1/2 as good?

either way, I love my MAK90 with scope, and it cost 1/2 as much as a AR.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Well wasnt the idea to test the ak's abilitly in a match enviroment or carbine course? Video is also required for the test.

indeed...that is a good point. although with that being considered it would also be interesting to see the accuracy obtainable using standard iron sights, considering that it is a factor of accuracy, even if you had a quarter moa rifle if you couldnt shoot better than 2" groups at 100 yards due to the sights then that extreme accuracy is useless, so see the obtainable accuracy, within reason, of given iron sights would be a good test as well.

edit: it would also be interesting if a few more people got involved down at the grove for the testing, maybe also with a few different platforms such as the mini14's or 30's or keltecs.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Only use irons on the AR and your back to even.

I agree, and the AR should have a pencil barrel. Its not fair to judge a medium weight AR barrel against a std AK barrel. Put a VEPR K against a medium weight AR then I say its fail, then add some tech sights to the AK, then they will share the same sight radius.

Accuracy testing using Russian Steel cased ammo? Dont expect too much from either platform.

Yup, make both shoot wolf ammo as well.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Accuracy testing using Russian Steel cased ammo? Dont expect too much from either platform.

thats the idea. the AK's rap of having bad accuracy, i believe anyway, is due to poor quality ammo. make both guns eat the same quality ammo and you can get a fair comparison.

silver bear ammo is pretty good though, i must say. the three trips i have taken to the range with the arsenal, each firing 75 or so rounds have yielded very little buildup and fouling.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I wish you guys were closer. I have some surplus Yugo 7.62x39 if you guys wanted to run brass through the AK. It is corrosive though.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Both should have Iron sights, shoot wolf ammo. M4 profile ( no free-float barrels) vs standard AK barrel.

I'll put some easter eggs on the berm( 100 yards)... whichever one shoots the most with a 30 round mag wins.

and No Lx1x... you and CrazyAl may not shoot those eggs with your accurized 10/22's:D

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I see the AK guys already making excuses. It seems like this will morph into something that allows the AK to not get embarrassed. What does steel cased ammo have to do with the rifles capabilities? You should get the best ammo you can find for each gun. OR use the military equivalent of the ammo that is used in combat. Also an Arsenal is a top of the line AK. An equivalent Ar would be a Colt, KAC, Noveske. What does cost have to do with the argument anyway? BTW part of the superiority of the AR is it's ability to adapt easily to multiple optic systems. I see you are already trying to eliminate that.

Oh and if you want to do it right, the same guy should shoot both weapons. Best candidate would be an average shooter with little experience with both weapons.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I see the AK guys already making excuses. It seems like this will morph into something that allows the AK to not get embarrassed. What does steel cased ammo have to do with the rifles capabilities? You should get the best ammo you can find for each gun. OR use the military equivalent of the ammo that is used in combat. Also an Arsenal is a top of the line AK. An equivalent Ar would be a Colt, KAC, Noveske. What does cost have to do with the argument anyway? BTW part of the superiority of the AR is it's ability to adapt easily to multiple optic systems. I see you are already trying to eliminate that.

I hate to agree with you... But my Colt AR will smoke any AK in the accuracy department ( flame suit on)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom