Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 15th, 2019, 06:26 AM #11

How beginner? I highly recommend Green Ops as well, but you do need a basic understanding of the rifle and marksmanship before attending their level 1 course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
If shooting, then I'd recommend Green Ops Carbine I (or one of their 4 hour clinics to start) or FPF Training "Minuteman Rifle Course". Both are in Northern Virginia.
Invicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 08:28 AM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYFHO View Post
Appleseed would certainly be a good fit (though I am biased).

Our next Maryland centerfire event is at Sanners in Lexington Park June 8-9, 2019. But we do have loaner AR-style 22s for events at the rimfire only Annapolis events - have one in 2 weeks plus others throughout the summer. In September we will have some other centerfire events at AGC and Sanners and in October a 200yd centerfire event on the Eastern Shore. Happy to provide more info.

Good morning.

Iíve looked on the Appleseed site and donít see recommendations/requirements for a centerfire rifle (ar15) and given the wide variety of configurations (sights, stocks, slings, optics) Iíd like to know what is allowed, disallowed before registering.

Can you assist or point me to the published information?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:18 AM #13

Appleseed is a great start to basic riflry.

Then there are a number of courses around.

I did a write up my 3 day Carbine course with BSR out at Summit Point. They teach a lot of LEO, GOV, and MIL groups. They have 1, 2, and 3 day courses. I was VERY happy with the training. I fired around 1500 rounds in the 3 day course.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 11:02 AM #14
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamr0ck View Post
Good morning.

Iíve looked on the Appleseed site and donít see recommendations/requirements for a centerfire rifle (ar15) and given the wide variety of configurations (sights, stocks, slings, optics) Iíd like to know what is allowed, disallowed before registering.

Can you assist or point me to the published information?

Happy to help!

Appleseed events will train you to hit a 4MOA Target out to 400-500 yards with a rack grade rifle and ammo, although most of our Maryland events simulate all of that at 25 yards.

You will get a crash course in the six steps to firing a shot, steady hold factors in prone, seated/kneeling, and standing positions, and natural point of aim. Also a useful intro to competitive shooting like high power matches, though it is not a competitive event. You do get scored though and will see your progress as you learn and practice more and can achieve a coveted Rifleman patch if you score Expert during the weekend.

We do not teach shooting on the move, use of cover, that kind of thing. Other tactical / practical carbine courses focus on that and I have learned a lot at those as well.

Our motto is ďyou run what ya brungĒ and can generally help you get up to speed.

As such, there are no real restrictions on AR15s at our centerfire events (which are based on range compatibility but have the same exact same training approach). We have people shoot effectively using ARs with scopes, red dots, or fixed and flip-up iron sights. The ARs can be bone stock carbines to upgraded everything including suppressors (I have seen both and everything in between).

We encourage and teach the use of the GI sling (aka the M1 Garand canvas sling) so it is helpful to have sling attachment points. But we can probably rig you up at the event.

You will need at least two 10 round magazines, though 4 would be best. Ammo-wise, people shoot everything from Federal American Eagle and Wolf Gold 223 to match grade 556. You will shoot 300-500 rounds depending on whether it is a one day or two day event. If you are shooting a highly unusual caliber we can discuss but stuff like 300 blackout is fine too. We prefer factory loads to hand loads, mainly for safety.

Havenít seen an AR pistol or pistol caliber carbine on the line but would be allowed up to .45 ACP. Probably wonít be as accurate though for what we teach. Doesnít have to be an AR either - people run ACRs, SCARs, Garands, AKs. You could run a bolt action Springfield 1903!

It is a lot of fun and you will learn a lot of history along the way as well.

Ok, enough info for now. Happy to answer more questions and feel free to PM me as well.

A Rifleman Persists!
KYFHO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 11:52 AM #15

Call the Machine Gun Nest in Frederick.
Ask for Ryan.

They may not have it on the schedule but I know they teach it.

There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political elite and their minions. Are you okay with that? I'm not.
Topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 03:49 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
Call the Machine Gun Nest in Frederick.
Ask for Ryan.

They may not have it on the schedule but I know they teach it.

Ryanís a pretty good teacher too - heís been helping me with my pistol skills

Old May 15th, 2019, 07:28 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYFHO View Post
Happy to help!

Appleseed events will train you to hit a 4MOA Target out to 400-500 yards with a rack grade rifle and ammo, although most of our Maryland events simulate all of that at 25 yards.

You will get a crash course in the six steps to firing a shot, steady hold factors in prone, seated/kneeling, and standing positions, and natural point of aim. Also a useful intro to competitive shooting like high power matches, though it is not a competitive event. You do get scored though and will see your progress as you learn and practice more and can achieve a coveted Rifleman patch if you score Expert during the weekend.

We do not teach shooting on the move, use of cover, that kind of thing. Other tactical / practical carbine courses focus on that and I have learned a lot at those as well.

Our motto is ďyou run what ya brungĒ and can generally help you get up to speed.

As such, there are no real restrictions on AR15s at our centerfire events (which are based on range compatibility but have the same exact same training approach). We have people shoot effectively using ARs with scopes, red dots, or fixed and flip-up iron sights. The ARs can be bone stock carbines to upgraded everything including suppressors (I have seen both and everything in between).

We encourage and teach the use of the GI sling (aka the M1 Garand canvas sling) so it is helpful to have sling attachment points. But we can probably rig you up at the event.

You will need at least two 10 round magazines, though 4 would be best. Ammo-wise, people shoot everything from Federal American Eagle and Wolf Gold 223 to match grade 556. You will shoot 300-500 rounds depending on whether it is a one day or two day event. If you are shooting a highly unusual caliber we can discuss but stuff like 300 blackout is fine too. We prefer factory loads to hand loads, mainly for safety.

Havenít seen an AR pistol or pistol caliber carbine on the line but would be allowed up to .45 ACP. Probably wonít be as accurate though for what we teach. Doesnít have to be an AR either - people run ACRs, SCARs, Garands, AKs. You could run a bolt action Springfield 1903!

It is a lot of fun and you will learn a lot of history along the way as well.

Ok, enough info for now. Happy to answer more questions and feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks! Will send a pm when Iím back to a full sized keyboard

Old May 20th, 2019, 02:57 PM #18
Jew with a Gun

Jew with a Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
How beginner? I highly recommend Green Ops as well, but you do need a basic understanding of the rifle and marksmanship before attending their level 1 course.
They're my recommendation, too. I think they're pretty beginner friendly. The only pre-req is that you need to zero your rifle, and that's something you can do 30 minutes before the clinic (and I've literally done just that, too). The rest of it is just bringing the right equipment.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:46 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
They're my recommendation, too. I think they're pretty beginner friendly. The only pre-req is that you need to zero your rifle, and that's something you can do 30 minutes before the clinic (and I've literally done just that, too). The rest of it is just bringing the right equipment.
What are you doing to take 30 minutes to zero?????
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 02:20 PM #20
Free At Last!!

Free At Last!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
What are you doing to take 30 minutes to zero?????
5 min to unpack all your crap, 20min to BS about your crap and your classmates' crap, and 5 min to zero.
Gizmo98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety