• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Nice AAR, and man you get them out quick!

Random thoughts:

1. You seemed to get a lot out of this class even after missing day one.
    2. In the video of what I think was you head-to-head with someone, you were nice and fast on the draw (important regardless of range, as you mentioned), but you were very fast to get off your sights and examine your handiwork. I've done the same on drills like that (rabbit drills in Pannone's class come to mind), but that's a bad habit to develop. I know you're more into competition than "defensive" shooting, but even in competition there may be times when you need a second shot, and you did not seem to be ready to take one.
    3. Not that I'm a fan of Suarez these days, but he's been doing Red Dot Pistol specific classes for a number of years now (you referenced 2017 as being the year this stuff started, and I'd say that's off by at least 2-3). And regarding Roland, yes, he popularized the red dot on P&S (and Lightfighter before that, I believe), but I was already running into RMRs on Glocks in classes (again, Suarez) in the summer of 2013. I hate to give SI credit for anything, but he was ahead of the curve on the pistol red dot and on the utility of the AR pistol. Having said that, I'd rather learn red dot pistol stuff from Jedi!
    4. No matter that you live in MD, get a CC holster! Don't you ever travel and want to carry?
    5. Your skills have improved (and are improving) VERY quickly.
    6. I love watching Mike shoot!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    1. Correct.
    2. Also correct. Bad habit from dry-firing, and it was pointed out to me as such. That said, in competition, I am nearly always taking multiple shots at targets, and I don't examine my handiwork after any of them, so it's not that bad. I know the difference between competition and a gunfight. :)
    3. So, key thing here is that I said _factory_ red dot pistols and pistols with slide cuts. Custom stuff had been going on for a long time, even before Suarez got the concept. But when Chuck popularized the Roland Special and it got a lot of play in serious circles, that's when manufacturers all started putting optics cuts on their guns. Suarez's reputation had previously mitigated against that happening. That may not have been as clear as it could have been, so I may made a brief edit. FWIW, I don't know that Suarez was offering red-dot specific training classes too long before Jedi, and certainly not with the same competition focus.
    4. I do have one for my G17, but I have zero carry permits. Probably something else to work on. It is fairly unusual for me to be in a position where carrying is really a viable option, even on travel.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    All good! I'm not in a position to say for sure whether or not SI had any influence on the different gun companies offering optic-ready slides. Maybe yes, maybe no. I doubt anyone knows for sure. I feel like I remember SI doing their first red dot specific class in 2015, 2016 at the latest. But, as you said, definitely not competition oriented.
    I should have added:
    7. I love seeing Mike there. The best instructors are also students. As good as he is, he's always looking to improve. It's inspiring.
    8. I should probably set up a YouTube channel.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The great thing about watching Mike is that he's so damn humble for someone who's that good and competitive. He made mistakes while learning the dot like everyone else. He wasn't afraid to admit them, and he took them in good grace. He is the polar opposite of guys like Suarez.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    Jedi is a good dude. I haven't taken his Red-Dot classes but have taken some private instruction from him before he started the classes and it definitely helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom