• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    For those who are keeping track of the board's backlog/pace:

I received my permit in February of 2018, and promptly requested a hearing in order to have its default restrictions modified. In May, I received an email indicating that they'd received my request. Today (June 14), I received another email with my hearing date: October 16th. So, that's a nine month wait. And, dammit, it puts me a couple of weeks into the new ALJ appeal framework that kicks of on 10/1. I wonder if I'll end up being a guinea pig. Yay.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I received my permit in February of 2018, and promptly requested a hearing in order to have its default restrictions modified. In May, I received an email indicating that they'd received my request. Today (June 14), I received another email with my hearing date: October 16th. So, that's a nine month wait. And, dammit, it puts me a couple of weeks into the new ALJ appeal framework that kicks of on 10/1. I wonder if I'll end up being a guinea pig. Yay.

I doubt it, not for restrictions being lifted.

Did Stevi give any indication as to the number in the current backlog?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I doubt it, not for restrictions being lifted.

We can hope! I can see them generally avoiding that, as it would quickly mushroom into a mountain of more work for whichever trooper(s) would have to revisit each case for yet another go-round.

Did Stevi give any indication as to the number in the current backlog?

Not a peep. Here's the text of the email:

Good afternoon,

We are in receipt of your request to appeal a decision of the Superintendent of the Maryland State Police. Your request has been granted and a hearing before the Handgun Permit Review Board has been scheduled. Please Respond to this email confirming your appearance for the date below:

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 6:00 pm, 100 Community Place, Crownsville, MD 21032

As space is limited we ask that you please confirm your appearance within ten days from the date of this letter. Failure to confirm may result in the loss of your hearing date. Once confirmed you will receive a Notice of Hearing detailing your rights and further instructions from the Board.

If you opt for a Review, your appeal could be heard at an earlier date. To have a Review preformed please contact me and I can inform you of the process.

You may cancel a hearing if you are satisfied with your current permit or have already been approved for a permit prior to receiving this notice. For more information, please call (410)585-3845 or reply to this email.​

The "opting for a review" in hopes of an earlier date sounds tempting, but I can't imagine that actually amounting to the desired outcome, right?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    We can hope! I can see them generally avoiding that, as it would quickly mushroom into a mountain of more work for whichever trooper(s) would have to revisit each case for yet another go-round.

Not a peep. Here's the text of the email:

Good afternoon,

We are in receipt of your request to appeal a decision of the Superintendent of the Maryland State Police. Your request has been granted and a hearing before the Handgun Permit Review Board has been scheduled. Please Respond to this email confirming your appearance for the date below:

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 6:00 pm, 100 Community Place, Crownsville, MD 21032

As space is limited we ask that you please confirm your appearance within ten days from the date of this letter. Failure to confirm may result in the loss of your hearing date. Once confirmed you will receive a Notice of Hearing detailing your rights and further instructions from the Board.

If you opt for a Review, your appeal could be heard at an earlier date. To have a Review preformed please contact me and I can inform you of the process.

You may cancel a hearing if you are satisfied with your current permit or have already been approved for a permit prior to receiving this notice. For more information, please call (410)585-3845 or reply to this email.​

The "opting for a review" in hopes of an earlier date sounds tempting, but I can't imagine that actually amounting to the desired outcome, right?

This has been done before in the recent past by the board. Honestly I think you will be fine as long as you hit all the salient points. I think the board would actually prefer that as all they do is read your summation, discuss and vote.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This has been done before in the recent past by the board. Honestly I think you will be fine as long as you hit all the salient points. I think the board would actually prefer that as all they do is read your summation, discuss and vote.

Stevi has sent along my formal hearing date notice. But I've also written back asking her for some guidance on the review process, and what that would do to my access to or timing on a subsequent in-person hearing if the review doesn't go my way. We'll see what she has to say.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    I just talked to Stevi yesterday and I forgot how many she said she has in the queue. sorry

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

If MSP doesn't show up, you'll have your answer.

fireup

Oct 14, 2010
    Catonsville
    Stevi has sent along my formal hearing date notice. But I've also written back asking her for some guidance on the review process, and what that would do to my access to or timing on a subsequent in-person hearing if the review doesn't go my way. We'll see what she has to say.

Could you keep me updated on this as well? I just recently was given a HPRB date of Oct 2nd. Trying to figure out my best course of action and get everything in line.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Could you keep me updated on this as well? I just recently was given a HPRB date of Oct 2nd. Trying to figure out my best course of action and get everything in line.

I will update this thread with anything that develops. Haven’t heard back from her on my inquiry, but my note was at the tail end of the business day. It was also a question that rubbed up against asking her to comment on how the board would deal with my appeal, and that may be difficult for her to talk about in plain language. More as it develops!

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I turned in my paperwork certified mail middle of Dec. 2017 my hearing date is July 17th 2018 which comes to 7 months if my math is good .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I wonder how the ALJ will view the "Pennak letter" if introduced by appellees.

Hopefully it would carry even more weight in an actual legal proceeding.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So, Stevi got back to me. First, with an offer for an earlier hearing because she had a cancellation. Alas ... it was on the same evening that I've got something do to (my 25th wedding anniversary night out with my wife ... do you think she'd mind if I ditched that for an HPRB hearing? hmmm).

She also clarified, somewhat, how it goes if you opt for a written review rather than an in-person hearing. She says she'd need a testimony document - preferably two pages or less, but that's the board's desire and not a hard limit - that explains why I'm seeking a modification to my permit. It's an opportunity to introduce new evidence if I need to, and to not worry about my original application, as she'll already have that handy. The board will make a decision based on what I supply. If they don't find in my favor on the review, I can once again request an actual hearing, but that's basically a reboot - I'm at the back of the line. Considering my date was in the middle of October, post-ALJ change, that doesn't really make things worse than they already are. But if I submit a written document for a board review, it sounds like it would get handled sooner than my hearing would. That has a strong appeal.

She mentioned that I'm allowed to attend the hearing where the board would review my written appeal, but only as a witness - not allowed to speak on my own behalf if I go that route, or supply any additional evidence at that time. She didn't indicate (yet, anyway) how I'd know WHEN that read-my-letter session would occur. I presume she'd get back to me with that info after I send it to her. I've asked if she needs the document on hardcopy, notarized or anything along those lines, or whether I can just email her a PDF or whatnot. Hopefully will hear back from her on that soon, and I'll pass that info along here as well.

In the meantime, time to compose myself a letter. I'd be shocked if I got past one page, since the pitch for modifications in my case is, I think, very tidy. More as things develop.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I cant help but wonder if MSP is applying restrictions on each and every CCW they grant so the board is overwhelmed and waiting for the new law to take effect 01Oct18 when the ad law judge starts. Then next the demorats try again and say look look the board is way behind and does not work at all. Could that be their plan all along to get the board removed??? IMHO that is what they are doing because they do not like the challenge to their power and being overturned by the board

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think it’s just a large increase in applicants, who then get restrictions and then appeal to the HPRB.

Just my uninformed opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Got some more details back from Stevi. So, if I inform her that I want to go with a written review, that will indeed kill my scheduled date. The written testimony letter doesn't need to be hardcopy or notarized, etc. - just save it as a PDF and email as an attachment to her. She said that would be ideal. If I commit to that now, my written testimony will be read by the board on 7/31. Which is a lot nicer than the middle of October. The bad news is I can't be present for the reading that evening, so I'd have to catch up on the play-by-play the next day. Stevi, though obviously busy, has been very good about the back and forth on this.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have my case heard on July 3rd. It took about 8 months if I recall from the time Britt filed everything

Trying to get restrictions removed

If I were you I would move heaven and earth if you have to to attend tomorrow's meeting. If you do, and have not already written the check, you may want to think twice about dropping that kind of coin with your attorney.

Do yourself a favor and do it yourself. Then spend the $$ on a nice Sig to celebrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom