• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    For years I was a huge goose hunter, but haven’t gone more than a handful of times in the last 5-6 years. Alot of the good places I used to hunt have now been developed, that’s why I stopped going so much . I’ve taken my son two times this year, but we never got any birds to come close enough to shoot. In fact the first time, we never even saw a bird. Well we went this afternoon, with my cousin, at his place, and he finally got his first Canada goose! In fact he got two of them!
    My cousin and myself told him, how it was going to go, before we had any birds around us. We told him to take the middle (first) bird, and we wouldn’t shoot until he shot his 3 shots, then we’d start shooting. They came in perfect, and he got 2 birds, then me and my cousin opened up on them.
    We had a great time, and I think he’s addicted. In fact I think I’m addicted again myself. Lol

Attachments

• C1FF9BE4-7956-4C71-AB00-C38098B4C571.jpg
      C1FF9BE4-7956-4C71-AB00-C38098B4C571.jpg
      205.8 KB · Views: 303

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Good for him. You must have taught him well.
    Thanks, I’m trying.
    He’s done a lot of deer and small game hunting, but I’ve made him wait to goose hunt. It’s alot different shooting from a coffin blind, and I wanted to make sure he could do it safely. He’s already talking about going next weekend. Lol.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats for a successful hunt. It's always sweeter when you're hunting with family.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Congrats for a successful hunt. It's always sweeter when you're hunting with family.

Absolutely! Most of my hunting is done with my family. What I think is really special is my son’s 1st year of hunting, was the last year my grandfather was physically able to hunt. Pretty special to have 4 generations of the family in the field hunting together.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Nice, did you teach him how to breast them? Does he like goose breast?

Q

He plucked the feathers, and I breasted them out. He watched me do it, maybe next time I will let him do it. I like to use a fillet knife. He starting to learn to clean/dress other animals, mostly small game. I haven’t let him field dress a deer yet, but he’s going to learn this fall. Last summer I started letting him fillet fish, and he caught on quickly, and did a good job.

bbaick

Nov 6, 2013
    Congratulations! Looks like quality father-son time. Memories that will last a lifetime for him. Well done!

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    He plucked the feathers, and I breasted them out. He watched me do it, maybe next time I will let him do it. I like to use a fillet knife. He starting to learn to clean/dress other animals, mostly small game. I haven’t let him field dress a deer yet, but he’s going to learn this fall. Last summer I started letting him fillet fish, and he caught on quickly, and did a good job.

Nice, learning life skills. His peers should be so lucky. My son liked the goose breasts I brought home, but he's 11 and not able to wield the shotgun yet due to low upper body strength. What gauge did your son use?

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom