• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    All in good fun, of course... But here are three of the worst arguments in the slide stop vs slide release debate. If you are using these, please stop. Pick a legitimate reason for your position and work with that.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    My reason for using the slide rack (or power stroke, or slingshot) method is multi-pistol compatibility.

There are some pistols that lack a slide stop(ppk, maks) others that don't lock back on empty (some 22s, pretty much anything from Jennings/Davis/Phoenix). Running the slide to gas it up after a mag change works no matter what.

But that works for me. Anyone I have taught to shoot, I encourage them to try both methods and explain the pros and cons of both.

What I don't do is preach one method over the other.

The importantest part is if the shooter can get the bullety things into the shooty thing quickly and reliably. Past that, it really doesn't matter how they do it.

Last edited:

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    And all this time, I thought it had a dual functions. To release the slide, and then lock the slide back when the magazine is empty.

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    Exactly!

My reason for using the slide rack (or power stroke, or slingshot) method is multi-pistol compatibility.

There are some pistols that lack a slide stop(ppk, maks) others that don't lock back on empty (some 22s, pretty much anything from Jennings/Davis/Phoenix). Running the slide to gas it up after a mag change works no matter what.

But that works for me. Anyone I have taught to shoot, I encourage them to try both methods and explain the pros and cons of both.

What I don't do is preach one method over the other.

The importantest part is if the shooter can get the bullety things into the shooty thing quickly and reliably. Past that, it really doesn't matter how they do it.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    When I bought my first handgun, years ago, the gun counter sales person told me not to use the slide stop because it would wear down from undue friction. I bought into that for quite some time until I realized 1. how easy and inexpensive it would be to replace the slide stop 2. it would take a really, really long time and lots of use before any noticeable wear would ever occur.

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    When I bought my first handgun, years ago, the gun counter sales person told me not to use the slide stop because it would wear down from undue friction. I bought into that for quite some time until I realized 1. how easy and inexpensive it would be to replace the slide stop 2. it would take a really, really long time and lots of use before any noticeable wear would ever occur.
    Right... I hear that from time to time. I've been shooting and carrying for over 25 years. Never wore one out.

Whether you agree with what I said in the video or not... It's designed to get people to think critically about why they do what they do... Or tell others what they should do or not do.

Meho1277

Oct 18, 2018
    Haha

Ask 25 people, and you will get 25 different answers......do what is comforable and works for you, if it wasn't meant to use as a slide release, they wouldn't make it so it protrudes from the frame, or it wouldn't have serrations on it for better friction. I say.....wear that bitch out.....then replace it.
    Have fun and stay safe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom