• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rustyrustic

Mar 7, 2013
    Oh I agree with that for sure, but what if she can't hold the shotgun up for extended periods of time?

If she can't handle the weight of the shotgun, how well do you think she'll handle the extra recoil from a lighter gun? Just something to think about. I have a youth model, and I wish it was heavier. You can always put a sling on the shotgun so the only time she's handling the weight directly is when she's shooting, and even then, you're only holding the shotgun up for short periods at a time. Besides, her upper body strength will increase as she uses the gun more. The recoil isn't going to go away.

The most important thing is getting one that fits her well. She'll get used to the weight and a recoil pad helps manage that problem.

Pearldrums

Mar 3, 2012
    Ithaca 20 guage. Very light. My WW II Veteran Father used to hunt small game with a pump action. He could literally get off 2 rounds to my 0ne round with my semi-automatic 12 guage Weatherby. I attribute his success not only to his superior shooting skills, but to the lightness of his Itaca shotgun :-)

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Several years ago, my youngest son wanted to shoot Trap.
    My wife chimed in, and said that she wanted to learn to shoot Trap, too.

So, I bought my son an 870 Youth in 20 gauge, and I bought my wife an 11-87 Youth, in 20 gauge.

I just ordered a 'full-size' synthetic stock for my son's 870.
    My wife has never held the 11-87!!!!!
    :lol2::lol2::lol2:

That 11-87 Youth gun is really nice!!

If you want to let that 11-87 go at a fair price, my wife might be a buyer. I was about to order this Weatherby. I've been extremely happy with the Weatherby rifles I've owned, but have never seen this particular shotgun. My 1100 on the other hand has been going strong for longer than I've been alive.

http://grabagun.com/wby-sa-08-20-24-3-bl-syn-youth.html

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    I would suggest a auto, less recoil much more enjoyable to shoot. A auto 12g will have much less recoil than a 20 gauge pump.

Anibaibz

Nov 18, 2012
    Harford County
    If your wife shoots and enjoys handguns, she's probably learned to deal with some recoil. So unless you want to spend the money for a semiauto, I'm not sure it's necessary. I bought a Mossberg 510 Mini 20 gauge for skeet (and critters). I wasn't sure how often I'd go, so I didn't want to make a big $$ investment. Was $340, but a little hard to find. With the spacer + recoil pad, it fits me perfectly. I'm 5'2".

AnonymousShooter

Jan 2, 2012
    Salisbury, MD
    Great thanks again everyone. I'm not so much worried about recoil. She's shot everything I own and never complained about recoil. I'm just looking for a light weight 12 or 20 gauge. I deff have a few ideas now thanks to all your responses. I guess the next step is to get a couple different shotguns in hear hands and let her make a decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom