• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Gee, I have been there several times and it has always been a good experience. It shows these gun bills have a real economic affect on local businesses.

Exactly as they intend.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    While I think their customer service sucks (especially in Rockville) and their prices are high, I don't wish them any ill will. I hope they can remain open to serve their customers and continue the 2A fight in MD. The more gun stores that are open in MD, the better.

Can't agree more. They gouged me for my first gun purchase in 2013. The Rockville service was a case study in how to chase away business. The Silver Spring place may have been better, but I wouldn't know since I was ignored by the staff hanging out with their buddies.

Still, they seemed to have helped a lot of people and we need more local shops.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Meh, the customer service at Rockville sucked for me. As soon as one of the “good ol boys” came in, they would all ignore the rest of the customers. I spent a lot of money at other stores that I would have spent at Atlantic. In my opinion they are on a par with The Gun Center in Frederick. Yes, the experiences were that bad. I had a handgun in limbo during the panic of 2013, 68 days at that point, MSP actually called me to let me know it was “not disapproved” so went to pick it up. They claimed never to have gotten the fax. Called MSP in the store and had the volume up and they said it was sent. Amazingly Atlantic was able to find the fax right away. Turns out Atlantic didn’t want to deal with non-regulars.

I am glad I wasn’t the only one felt that way.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Me too. If their move doesn’t include better customer service they won’t do much better at another location.

Just my .02

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    It's going to be hard on them if the new gun laws pass , Hendershots is moving and downsizing and putting more focus on the Ammo they make , Now Atlantic is downsizing to one store hope they can make a go of it , They have always been behind the curve with getting new stuff in stock unless they are pumping up for a sale like the S&W sale they just had , I popped in Saturday to look and they were busy but not a lot of staff Steve , Mark , Stephen and a older guy that I didn't know I asked for Frank they said he didn't work their anymore , I knew Jeff had gone not to long ago . Makes you wonder if the downsizing has started .

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    If the long gun crap passes, I'm guessing there will be no long gun sales until the first LGBTL is issued and with fewer options for the AR platform available sales will be lower in general.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I'm hoping that this isn't the writing on the wall for LGS's across the State , As it's been said Maryland isn't a big Hunting State anymore so can't just shift products and march on.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If the long gun crap passes, I'm guessing there will be no long gun sales until the first LGBTL is issued and with fewer options for the AR platform available sales will be lower in general.

I'm hoping that this isn't the writing on the wall for LGS's across the State , As it's been said Maryland isn't a big Hunting State anymore so can't just shift products and march on.

Was discussing this earlier. I think there are many people that buy a 22lr on impulse. Law like this could absolutely discourage sales. The handgun issue, they were regulated for decades and the HQL addition was bad, but many really have their heart set out on getting "that handgun". What if a Dad has two kids to take hunting next week? Even with a long gun permit, can only buy one shotgun? If anything get some amendments in, if it can't be defeated.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    If anything get some amendments in, if it can't be defeated.

This is the worst part of an MGA session, waiting to see what comes out in 2nd Reading. The public has no visibility on what's going on inside the committees as they rewrite these bills. ERPO was a real eye opener last year, when Dumais essentially switched bills in committee under the same number out of view of both the public and fellow legislators. Then what got voted on in the House bore almost no resemblance to what was originally filed and presented no opportunity to fight it until it got to the Senate.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    It's going to be hard on them if the new gun laws pass , Hendershots is moving and downsizing and putting more focus on the Ammo they make , Now Atlantic is downsizing to one store hope they can make a go of it , They have always been behind the curve with getting new stuff in stock unless they are pumping up for a sale like the S&W sale they just had , I popped in Saturday to look and they were busy but not a lot of staff Steve , Mark , Stephen and a older guy that I didn't know I asked for Frank they said he didn't work their anymore , I knew Jeff had gone not to long ago . Makes you wonder if the downsizing has started .

Really? I hadn’t heard this. They moved to Hagerstown not that long ago and expanded into the adjacent part of the building even more recently. I’m very surprised to hear this given their big internet business. Do you know where they’re moving, anything about the type of new store they’ll have?

bbaick

Nov 6, 2013
    Although I find the place to be a local institution and many of the employees to be very nice, the business got used to being pretty much one of the “only games in town.” Over the years, competition and the internet have creeped in, yet their business model didn’t adapt.

Their prices are consistently high and sometimes retail plus, for items that are cheaper elsewhere. I once tried to get them to handle a transfer for me, for a gun I found online. They refused and said their policy is to “not do transfers for items they sell.” Translation: We’re not letting you get a better deal, pay more and buy from us.

Last edited:

OLSKOL59

Jun 24, 2018
    Started going in S.S. store while my grandmother shopped at Safeway, or at the Legions crab or oyster roasts. Her maiden name Bonifant used to carry some clout back then. When I picked up my special order TC Thunderhawk in the 80s, at the Rockville store,I remember them calling it a sissy gun.Till I brought in my deer pics.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    They refused and said their policy is to “not do transfers for items they sell.” Translation: We’re not letting you get a better deal, pay more and buy from us.

Not "letting" you? They're just choosing not to undercut their own direct sales by playing a role in someone else's sale of the same item. Would you approve if they tacked onto the transfer fee the amount they would have made if you bought the gun from them? It's their decision, as dealers of the same product, to decide when and how they want to be part of a given transaction. I hope you'd want to defend your own right to do the same, and expect to have your decision for or against doing so as somehow telling other people what they may or may not do. There are plenty of FFLs out there who DON'T keep an inventory, pay retail store rent, utilities, insurance, and payroll. That's what they're there for, if you don't want to buy from the local dealer.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If the Demanding Grandmoms get their LGQL bill I fear you are going to see a lot of stores go this way. How is any retail store supposed to stay in business when the bulk of everything you sell requires a months long process involving an expensive class, license, fingerprints, and even then a seven-day wait after all of that.

We are looking at ending up with a state where there are very few or no long gun sellers. The independents won't be able to sell enough to stay in business and the large sporting goods chains won't want to fool with all of the nonsense. And by federal law you aren't allowed to go across state lines for a long gun unless you follow all of the licensing and purchase rules of your home state. Make no mistake, the Hobby Mommies don't want you to own anything. They've proven that this year.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom