• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    My gut pretty much knows the answer, i was just wondering if anyone smarter than me knew if there might be a loophole with the squad carbine or psg type ones. Heres hoping!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    * PSG1 is ok. The bolt group is completely different and wont fit in any banned 91/'plain' G3 clone as the barrel needs an extractor cutout. The bolt group is also **MUCH** more expensive. Expect to spend at least $4k to buy parts alone to build a proper clone.
    * MSG90 uses similar bolt group as the PSG1 and should also be ok. It also uses rare uber-expensive parts.
    * G3K SBR is ok
    * HK51 SBR probably too short to meet the 29" rule easily but otherwise ok.

The latter two are ok as pistols also.

Edit: The PTR32 in 7.62x39 is also good to go in MD (its a GREAT rifle) but not 7.62x51 as the other 91 variants are.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    I knew about the 32 and ive been eyeing it quite a bit but just my luck ill buy one and they will ban russian ammo imports!

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Revisiting this. I found the ptr 91 banned as a rifle on the MDSP website, but don't see the receiver listed as allowable on the approved handguns under PTR Industries. Is it buried elsewhere as an allowable pistol? Thanks.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Revisiting this. I found the ptr 91 banned as a rifle on the MDSP website, but don't see the receiver listed as allowable on the approved handguns under PTR Industries. Is it buried elsewhere as an allowable pistol? Thanks.

From the MDSP website:

"May I build my lower receiver purchased at any time into a handgun?

​Yes, a lower receiver of a banned assault long gun may be manufactured provided there is compliance with federal and other state laws—into a handgun.​"

My guess is that it can be transferred as an "other" on the 77r.

ARinPG

Jan 12, 2016
    * PSG1 is ok. The bolt group is completely different and wont fit in any banned 91/'plain' G3 clone as the barrel needs an extractor cutout. The bolt group is also **MUCH** more expensive. Expect to spend at least $4k to buy parts alone to build a proper clone.
    * MSG90 uses similar bolt group as the PSG1 and should also be ok. It also uses rare uber-expensive parts.
    * G3K SBR is ok

Edit: The PTR32 in 7.62x39 is also good to go in MD (its a GREAT rifle) but not 7.62x51 as the other 91 variants are.

If you are looking for a pistol version I know classic has one 12.5 in ptr pdw available on their site. I just bought the second to last one. I plan to SBR it.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    From the MDSP website:

"May I build my lower receiver purchased at any time into a handgun?

​Yes, a lower receiver of a banned assault long gun may be manufactured provided there is compliance with federal and other state laws—into a handgun.​"

My guess is that it can be transferred as an "other" on the 77r.

I spent 10 minutes looking for this on the website yesterday. I didn't realize it was buried under an expandable text box. Thanks, that's the statement I needed.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    * G3K SBR is ok

I had an HK-51, extendable stock, with a registered full-auto sear. It was not too short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom