• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AnonymousShooter

Jan 2, 2012
    Salisbury, MD
    Ok so with the SB 281 deadline approaching quickly i've realize that my wife does not have any regulated firearms in her name. Is it possible for me to transfer one of my regulated weapons into her name so she can avoid the training requirement on future regulated firearms.

Obviously I would have her do the online training class, but I just want to avoid sending her to some pointless training class after Oct 1st. She shoots with me all the time and has weapons that I've bought for her, but not actually in her name.

I know the question is probably going to come up, "Why doesn't she just get a regulated firearm before the ban?"

Answer - Like most of you I've spent a TON in the past 6 months and really can't afford to buy another.

And lastly a picture ... because everyone likes pictures ...

Attachments

• Ashley 930SPX.jpg
      Ashley 930SPX.jpg
      101.3 KB · Views: 307

Rimfire

May 20, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Can the transfer of a regulated firearm be conducted between two family members?
    Yes, this type of transaction is considered a gift. The law stipulates, if the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser’s, spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:
    (1) Complete an application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm; and
    (2) Forward the application to the Secretary of the State Police within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm.

Is there a fee when a transaction is considered a gift?
    No, the fees are waived.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Yeppers ...

Can the transfer of a regulated firearm be conducted between two family members?
    Yes, this type of transaction is considered a gift. The law stipulates, if the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser’s, spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:
    (2) Forward the application to the Secretary of the State Police within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm.

No, the fees are waived.

IANAL, and unless someone cites differently, do it BEFORE Oct 1st ... as-a-matter-fo-fact, do it NOW, just in case MSP wants to drag it out. After that date it will require the 'fee', training and fingerprinting, and that pesky 'transfer' language may come into play if your wish to 'loan' it to her.

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    Ok so with the SB 281 deadline approaching quickly i've realize that my wife does not have any regulated firearms in her name. Is it possible for me to transfer one of my regulated weapons into her name so she can avoid the training requirement on future regulated firearms.

Obviously I would have her do the online training class, but I just want to avoid sending her to some pointless training class after Oct 1st. She shoots with me all the time and has weapons that I've bought for her, but not actually in her name.

I know the question is probably going to come up, "Why doesn't she just get a regulated firearm before the ban?"

Answer - Like most of you I've spent a TON in the past 6 months and really can't afford to buy another.

And lastly a picture ... because everyone likes pictures ...

THAT is a nice range in the background!

AnonymousShooter

Jan 2, 2012
    Salisbury, MD

No, the fees are waived.

Ok great thanks. I just wanted to make sure it still counts as a regulated purchase and she will not have to do the state provided training.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    anyone got a link for the paperwork required? I may do the same thing

I believe all FTF transfers (gift and otherwise) have to be done at the local MSP barracks. Form 77R gets filled out and sent in.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I wasn't sure if it would count either, so I found a broken revolver for $50 at my gun dealer for her to buy. At least she can suffer through the long waiting period.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    faq makes it seem like it can be done from home

Went and re-read the FAQ, it would appear you are correct. To my knowledge, the 77R is not downloadable as it has several carbon copies. You either need to get one from an FFL or MSP.

Unless application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm is something other than a 77R?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    would be interested to know
    wonder if a trip to msp for paperwork would result in no charge

Print out the FAQ and take it with you to show them and ask. What's the worst that can happen??? :cool:

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I am doing somewhat the same thing. As a MD designated collector I have bought almost a dozen of firearms since December, but my wife and daughter have never purchased a handgun. I am transferring one of my handguns to my 22yo daughter and one to my wife as a gift so that they will have owned a handgun before October 1. I will have them both take the online MSP handgun safety course, and then go up to the local MSP barracks and transfer a handgun to each of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom