• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Got a Springfield loaded a few years ago. Had a local smith do the trigger and swap the main spring housing to get rid of the lock ********. Has a beautiful 3.5lb break now with almost zero creep or overtravel. I absolutely love it.

What I want to change:
    The guiderod is full length, which I like the idea of, but I hate that you need a allen wrench to disassemble the gun. Whats a high quality replacement that will drop in and allow stripping without tools??

I'm assuming now would also be a good time to change the recoil spring. Gun has 1500+/- rounds thru it. Its a 5" barrel and I've seen 15-19# springs recommended. Any input here? Brand and weight?

Also anything else I should replace as maintenance at 1500 rounds? Ive seen hammer spring mentioned but wasnt sure about that. Thanks

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Use Nighthawk or EGW Recoil Spring Parts if you can (Guiderod and End Cap). Brownells has them.

18.5# Recoil Spring is a good General Purpose Spring. For HOT loads get some heavy springs and try them. If they lock the slide back on the last round they arent too strong.

No need to replace the hammer spring. Those things wil last 50K cycles.

You dont need a Smith for any of this. Just swap and go have fun.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Use Nighthawk or EGW Recoil Spring Parts if you can (Guiderod and End Cap). Brownells has them.

18.5# Recoil Spring is a good General Purpose Spring. For HOT loads get some heavy springs and try them. If they lock the slide back on the last round they arent too strong.

No need to replace the hammer spring. Those things wil last 50K cycles.

You dont need a Smith for any of this. Just swap and go have fun.

Thanks. Any input on the Shok-buffs? Lil plastic things Wilson sells. Never heard of them until I was just looking around at parts. Seems like a good idea in theory.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks. Any input on the Shok-buffs? Lil plastic things Wilson sells. Never heard of them until I was just looking around at parts. Seems like a good idea in theory.

They are not good at all. They can cause several issues such as:
    1) Short Stroking/Increased Slide Speed/Timing Issues
    2) Failure to Lock Slide Back (Due to Problem 1)
    3) Feeding Issues (Magazine cant keep up to increased Slide Velocity, Problem 1)
    4) Can break down, locking up the weapon

If you are getting bad metal on metal contact with the slide/frame then your recoil spring is too weak for the load you are using.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Interesting. I have run Wilson ShockBuffs in several 1911s, with thousands of rounds through them (ISPC shooter) without any of those issues.

Beemer

Sep 12, 2012
    I've seen 15-19# springs recommended. Any input here? Brand and weight?

Also anything else I should replace as maintenance at 1500 rounds? Ive seen hammer spring mentioned but wasnt sure about that. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Beemer

Sep 12, 2012
    I found a 1911 guru out west (Lippard) and he has done a whole lot of patents and produed a whole lot of improved parts for 1911s He reommended that I use his variable rate spring whih is rated 14-20 pounds. Its progressively wound and so far I love it! My motoryles all have Progressive Springs and Shoks in them and the progressively wound oils are wonderful! They give the BEST ride to bikes. Period. So, I am liking his stuff and have probably 400rds thru it.. Beause of his spring there is no need for buffer pads.

Beemer

Sep 12, 2012
    If you are getting bad metal on metal contact with the slide/frame then your recoil spring is too weak for the load you are using.[/QUOTE]

Thats exatcly the advice I got from George Lippard a 1911 guru out West. He makes a progressively wound spring rated 14-20 pounds and its great thus far. My motoryles all have Progressive springs and shoks and in the motoryle rider world they are famous for improved ride and a must-have upgrade!

So far so good in my Ri Enhaned.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Yea I saw something on the nighthawk site about a recoil reduction system that sounded like it was a progressive type spring. Cost is about double of a normal setup. Not sure if its again something that sounds good in theory or if its actually worth it.

Cost isn't an issue, I just want to maintain reliability and function

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Interesting. I have run Wilson ShockBuffs in several 1911s, with thousands of rounds through them (ISPC shooter) without any of those issues.

Can you tell me why you use them? If you have fired that many rounds its odd you havent seen a buffer self destruct. Perhaps you are lucky.

If your using a flat recoil spring the short stroking issues are not as aparent as a traditional coil round recoil spring.

Some guns, especially compact 1911s will only run reliably with flat recoil springs because the allow better compression than a coil recoil spring

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Can you tell me why you use them? If you have fired that many rounds its odd you havent seen a buffer self destruct. Perhaps you are lucky.

If your using a flat recoil spring the short stroking issues are not as aparent as a traditional coil round recoil spring.

Some guns, especially compact 1911s will only run reliably with flat recoil springs because the allow better compression than a coil recoil spring

I have replaced a couple over time.

Typical round coil spring. But full size slides.

As to why? One gun was built by Wilson's so they put one in. :)

At the time, everyone I shot with was using them, and no one had any bad issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom