• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    But seeing as how the overwhelming majority of the country (including much of CA4s jurisdiction) does not have G&S for their permit systems, is it really that cutting edge? Like Judge Legg said, the evidence doesnt point in either direction in terms of harm or benefit to public safety. Do you really think they will issue a stay?

I think the stay is a close question. The state has a bit of an uphill climb with Judge Legg's excellent reasoning on the merits and on the stay. That other states don't require G&S is neither here nor there on whether MD's requirement is unconstitutional -- states get to make different judgment calls and courts don't sit to review the wisdom of such judgment calls. That said, the fact that 41 states are shall issue without blood in the streets is a huge plus for us precisely because those states will give the CA4 reassurance on that score, just as it did for Judge Legg. Still, it is easy for a motions panel just to punt to the merits panel and not change the status quo.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Unfortunately, I fear the stay will be issued - for just that reason.

All the more reason to push for a Federal law equivalent to the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I say 85/15 with a STAY being issued. I am useally wrong when I bet and I hope I am but I do not think so.

:(

NOBODY

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    7 days and a wakeup until MSP starts the process of re-running background checks.

And if MSP had been keeping up their usual pace in the inbetween time , should be up around 400 by that time. Unless thay care to admit that they are now refusing to process any furthe apps at this point.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    here is Woollard's brief just filed in the 4th Circuit today (7/30).

Attachments

• Brief.SAF.Wollard.pdf
      1.1 MB · Views: 401

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Well, 21 are TOC, TOA, etc...

only 79 to read!!

The "page" limit in the court of appeals on briefs is 14,000 words (not counting tables, appendix, addendum and the like) and Gura certified that it doesn't exceed that amount.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Good stuff at the bottom of page 67 (next-to-last page):

"Long arms have common defensive application in the home. But it cannot seriously be suggested that Americans going about their daily lives on the streets of Annapolis lug shotguns for self-defense against prospective muggers and rapists."

"Depriving nearly everyone of the only type of firearm practical for defensive carry is neither narrowly tailored to, nor does it reasonably fit, any governmental interest."

"And just as GSR fails to address the alleged dangerousness of particular applicants, Defendants are plainly incapable of predicting who might be victimized and thus have more practical use for firearms. Crime is largely random and unpredictable. The GSR requirement is inherently arbitrary, in classifying applicants, and in classifying their likelihood of suffering criminal violence."

I'm skimming for now, but the conclusion of the brief really jumped out at me. Pure gold.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The "page" limit in the court of appeals on briefs is 14,000 words (not counting tables, appendix, addendum and the like) and Gura certified that it doesn't exceed that amount.

Well, I read it.

It was a surprisingly easy read, and very nicely constructed.

I loved the "rationing" argument, and shooting holes in the briefs of the amici was very nice

Question for you... Was leaning that heavily on Heller a good thing?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Good stuff at the bottom of page 67 (next-to-last page):

"Long arms have common defensive application in the home. But it cannot seriously be suggested that Americans going about their daily lives on the streets of Annapolis lug shotguns for self-defense against prospective muggers and rapists."

"Depriving nearly everyone of the only type of firearm practical for defensive carry is neither narrowly tailored to, nor does it reasonably fit, any governmental interest."

"And just as GSR fails to address the alleged dangerousness of particular applicants, Defendants are plainly incapable of predicting who might be victimized and thus have more practical use for firearms. Crime is largely random and unpredictable. The GSR requirement is inherently arbitrary, in classifying applicants, and in classifying their likelihood of suffering criminal violence."

I'm skimming for now, but the conclusion of the brief really jumped out at me. Pure gold.

By skimming, you missed the werewolves!

Seriously, it's in there :)

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Long Motion to read.
    Point that I got is Gura has/will argue the "carry outside the Home is a fundatmental right", should enjoy strict scruity. :thumbsup:

Sound good to me. :thumbsup:

Sum it up. I think Alan Gura is like Marines. ... "They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    I received the purple print card from MSP in the mail on Saturday.

Turns out my "print guy" is on vacation this week...guess that's a sign to wait until after the 8th? :innocent0

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom