• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Can anyone tell or know what Kind of wood my new stock is, from my pics above? Its obviously been at least stained with something. I may just leave it alone until I decide on how I want to strip it, and refinish. Although due to lack of gloss/sheen I think I could just throw some oil on it for more protection.

It's this one! http://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/082M

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    So it is.... so great..i can just throw another layer of BLO or PTO

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I believe they use commercial product and not Pure BLO or TO. I think you need to sand off the old finish first.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Garand

So in your opinion... The Winchesters are not worth the price?

How much did the Springfield's run in comparison?

I don't mind waiting... I just feel ..for some reason...that its going to be a very long time until they have more special or service grades in stock. Although I have no real reason to believe this. But may be why I'm feeling a little compulsive. I am also hesitant though, not knowing how well it will shoot.

A bit late to posting on OP question, but here is some advice from someone old, 77, and knowledgeable and competent with the Garand. I have owned more than 130 of them since getting my first in 2002. I then started to collect them and, frankly, it got out of hand and the inventory soared.

I also began to shoot many of them in local central MD competitions where I averaged 275/300 till I was forced to quit with a life ending disease, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (and blaming it on Agent Orange exposure in1970 at Long Thanh North while flying with the 146th Avn Co).

Best ever Garand at any match...a correct 1943 Winchester with a WRA barrel with average specs...last scores a 275 and a 277...age 75. That rifle remains as I received it from a GunBroker seller in 2009. I never tuned it for competitions.

I have shot subMOA groups with it rested at 100 yards at the AGC range, and I did that with Greek HXP M2 Ball, too. Found all the HXP ran well in any Garand I chose to compete with. PPU ammo is not as accurate out of my guns. S & B ammo generally fine stuff but never took any to a match...stuck with the HXP and it never ever failed to perform, regardless of the year it was produced.

Hope this helps. I am still trimming my extensive firearms holdings and will be selling FTF at AGC again soon, I hope, and on GunBroker where I am Good Guy 176.

I have available: IHC and SA Garands (but none under $1250 at present), USGI Colt, Ithaca, Rem Rand 1911s, a few USGI M1 Carbines, and a wad of modern rifles, shotguns, revolvers and semi pistols.

Lew--Ranger63 & Good Guy 176
    US Army (Ret--'84)

And yes, a Winchester Garand is worth the CMP price...it's WW2 vintage and the name remains popular with us old timers and collectors. I own this match Win and a Win -13 and they will be among the last that I part with.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Here is my Special Field grade with a stock finished by DGR. Fancy matte- red tone.

Attached pics this time.
    a4d9308ad8a90acee7854edf72251240.jpg
    1fad5efe879db389dff6f63a8ed583a5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads