• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Do they still have the HBAR-stamped 16 SDM fluted barrels? I need one for a friend...

It would be a safe bet, if they have the barrel, it will probably be an Hbar. White Oaks are much in demand. Best talk to them felers.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Folks differ on opinion when it comes to AR Stoner barrels, but their 300BLK in stainless steel are very good.

Midway USA has them in stock.

I have their 20" SS .223 wylde 1:8 HBAR barrel is it shoots well for me. I need more rounds of the better shooting loads, but so far my best is PPU 75gr .223. It shoots about .8 MOA 5 round groups for me. A few other 64, 69, 75 and 77gr .223 and 5.56 BTHP and gold dot rounds shoot in the 1-1.5 MOA range. IMI m855 oddly seems to shoot about .8MOA as well. Though it is hit or miss. I can shoot 2 .7-.9MOA groups and then the next 5 shot group will have 4 within an inch easy and then one flier an inch and a half from the main group. Rinse and repeat. Considering it isn't match ammo, no surprise. I am just surprised most rounds in a box seem to group so well.

I am trying my luck with a Classic Firearms 20" HBAR next. They have them 20% off (all AR barrels). At $113 it was hard to pass up. Most of their barrels seem to have very good reviews and for about the same price (well, pre sale) that my AR Stoner barrel was, I picked up a .223 Wylde HBAR 20" 1:8 spiral fluted and nitrided. It'll likely be a long time till I build a rifle around the barrel (or upper).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Not sure if this 223/556 HBAR barrel from Brownell's was already posted upthread. Package deal with an upper. Never heard of the barrel maker which might explain the cheap price ...

https://gun.deals/product/brownells...w-16-hbar-barrel-13999-shipped-after-code-ldd

ETA: $75 barrel alone ...
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...barrel-223-wylde-hbar-profile-prod104170.aspx

Also look for Heavy contour here ...
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...15-m16-223-wylde-match-barrels-prod54526.aspx

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Nothing, really, from what I understand.

Someone needs to make an accurate A1 profile 20" barrel with "HBAR" stamped somewhere that'd be well hidden by the triangular foregrip.

I'd buy one.

It would be a safe bet, if they have the barrel, it will probably be an Hbar. White Oaks are much in demand. Best talk to them felers.

I'm in the "still planning my next toy" phase of things. Knowing for sure that they have the barrel of my affection in stock, coupled with those $49 Aero lowers Brownells has on sale, is a recipe for impulse builds and a subsequent scolding from the missus.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    I am currently looking at a "20 Criterion barrel for my next build not cheap at $300 with the bolt. OP as everyone has stated you just have to look everyone is selling HBAR barrels now

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I used an AR Stoner Gov't profile barrel for a few years, not a great number of rounds through it...maybe 800. Well cared for. It shot very well out to just about 200 yards which is the furthest I shot it. No complaints here. I listed it for sale only so I could hang a 16" HBAR on a post '13 acquired receiver.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    Bear Creek Arsenal

Does anyone have any experience with them? They have a bunch of HBAR profile barrels and they all seem relatively reasonable in price.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Does anyone have any experience with them? They have a bunch of HBAR profile barrels and they all seem relatively reasonable in price.

I purchased a 300BLK barrel from them and it is perfectly satisfactory, especially for the price. Their service was outstanding when the first one that they shipped got "lost" by UPS.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've been searching high and low. Working on my AR-15 build again.

Last time I had so much trouble finding a HBAR that I gave up, went to United and bought an LWRC di rifle.

Now I'm back at the build. If anyone has a website where I could find a HBAR stamped barre, l in either 556 NATO or 300 ACC it would be greatly appreciated!

Not exactly sure how important the actual stamp on the barrel would be but I don't want to risk anything with the MSP.

Can't access the site from work, but, look up Windham Weaponry.

They have had (and still should have) an HBAR 'kit'.
    16". 1:9 twist. HBAR. M4 ramps.
    With gas block (installed and pinned), gas tube, spring and barrel nut, flash hider/washer/nut.

I helped a good friend install one of these on his Upper. VERY accurate.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No, that wasn't his initial post, but he got some responses stating that as long as the barrel is not .223/5.56, it does not need to be HBAR. He asked for a source. I provided the source and my opinion for free, and you know what they say about getting something for "free".

That you should complain about at at length? :lol2:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Look up thread. Myself and one other person already commented that AR Stoner barrels seem to be inexpensive, but pretty good accuracy/quality.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    My mistake

I'm really sorry. I was talking about Bear Creek Arsenal Barrels, not the AR Stoner barrels. Bear Creek has a TON of HBAR barrels listed on their site and they seem to be on the lower end of the price spectrum.

Look up thread. Myself and one other person already commented that AR Stoner barrels seem to be inexpensive, but pretty good accuracy/quality.

criterion

May 25, 2016
    If you're not directly attached to the 5.56 NATO designation (the .223 Wylde should have no problem running 5.56 NATO ammunition), we have a number of HBAR configurations in a variety of lengths and finishes. American Defense MFG will label their .223 Wylde/.300 Blackout barrels HBAR on request as well.

If you have any other questions you're welcome to shoot us an email or give us a call!

http://criterionbarrels.com/ar-15-hbar

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm really sorry. I was talking about Bear Creek Arsenal Barrels, not the AR Stoner barrels. Bear Creek has a TON of HBAR barrels listed on their site and they seem to be on the lower end of the price spectrum.

Oh, my bad. Sorry :)

No experience with Bear Creek.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    All barrels I buy are 'listed' as 5.56. Maybe half of them really are. The others are somewhere between there and .223. Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing as it pertains to AR15 barrels. Everyone claims 5.56 is loaded hotter than .223. Fact is, the biggest difference between the two is how their pressure is measured. There is no way to actually compare the two.

Am I saying to shoot whatever you want through your rile? No. I'm saying, without properly gauging your own chambers to see what you really have, the crap shoot has already begun...and you ain't dead yet. Learn to read your brass. It will tell you whether you are shooting something that is a little too hot or not. Take a good armorer's course and spec your guns out. Lastly, get a hold of a reloading manual and compare loading differences between the two round types recommended there in.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I put this Windham HBAR upper (dissipator) on my post ban receiver:

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
      DSC_0001.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 96

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    All barrels I buy are 'listed' as 5.56. Maybe half of them really are. The others are somewhere between there and .223. Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing as it pertains to AR15 barrels. Everyone claims 5.56 is loaded hotter than .223. Fact is, the biggest difference between the two is how their pressure is measured. There is no way to actually compare the two.

Am I saying to shoot whatever you want through your rile? No. I'm saying, without properly gauging your own chambers to see what you really have, the crap shoot has already begun...and you ain't dead yet. Learn to read your brass. It will tell you whether you are shooting something that is a little too hot or not. Take a good armorer's course and spec your guns out. Lastly, get a hold of a reloading manual and compare loading differences between the two round types recommended there in.

Waking from a well deserved nap, but isn't the difference using the .223 as a zero overall case length, that .223 wylde is .001" longer and the 5.56 is .002" longer?

That said in looking at chronographs of loads, most 5.56 does seem to be loaded hotter than most .223 and all of the highest energy loads I've ever seen in .223/5.56 are all 5.56x45 loaded rounds.

Most .223 seems to be loaded to around 1100-1250ft-lbs from a 20" barrel. Most 5.56 seems to be loaded to 1180-1300ft-lbs from a 20" barrel. I've seen a handful of .223 loaded to about 1280 or so out of a 20" and a few 5.56 that push a bit over 1350 out of a 20".

Me personally, unless there is something super desirable about a .223 barrel or a 5.56 barrel (they are often marked .223/5.56, which means they are usually 5.56 chambered) I just go .223 wylde. Right in between and so far I haven't met one that wasn't capable of good accuracy and is supposed to fire both .223 and 5.56 safely (and specifically with good accuracy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom