• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Engage, Engage, and oh did I mention that Engage sells kick ass HBAR barrels?
    I may have an 18" Wilson Combat 5.56 barrel for sale, pm me if you're interested.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Great! I had no idea that 300 blackout does not require an Hbar to be MD compliant. Do you have a source for this?

I've attached a couple of sources for your perusal. What you really need to pay attention to is the conclusion paragraph in the AG opinion.

"For the reasons set forth above, it is our opinion that the reference to "copies" in PS section 5-101(p)(2) does not extend the regulated firearms law to weapons that bear a mere cosmetic similarity to a listed weapon. Rather, in order for a firearm to be considered a copy of a listed assault weapon, and therefore be governed by the regulated firearms law, there must be a similarity between the internal components and function of the firearm in question and those of one of the listed weapons. A determination as to whether a particular firearm bears such similarity is a factual question entrusted in the first instance to the Department of State Police."

Now, you need to read that and ask yourself, does a .300 BLK AR-15 have similar internal components and a similar function to the AR-15? You also have to notice that the opinion does not say that the rifle's function and its internal components must be an exact copy, just similar.

Other than the opinion letter above, there isn't much that defines what a copy really is, and in the second instance, it is a question for the trier of fact (i.e., judge/jury).

Now, until I receive something from an FFL's attorney stating that a non-HBAR .300 BLK barrel is alright and legal, or something from the AG or MSP, I am truly erring on the side of caution and building each and every post ban lower with a HBAR barrel, no matter the cartridge.

Of course, I am the black sheep when it comes to this subject.

Attachments

• AG opinion - 100524 - Copies.pdf
      237.8 KB · Views: 97
    • MSP - 140108 - LD-FRS-13-004 - definition of HBAR.pdf
      61.3 KB · Views: 108

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Try finding an 11.5" in 9mm. Hoofah!

Thankfully, I cannot see the allure of an AR-15 in a pistol cartridge. I keep toying with the idea, and then coming back to the .223, etc. being more lethal than any pistol cartridge out there.

I know, pistol cartridge AR rifles are wonderful for plinking, but if I want to plink around, I'll just use 22lr. in a 10/22.

Of course, after I write this, I'll be changing my mind and ordering an 80% 9mm lower that uses Glock mags.

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    2A Sales had some Faxon heavy barrels last time I was in there. I bought a 16" Fluted Heavy Profile barrel direct from Faxon a while back and its nice. They carry other brands as well but I haven't looked closely to see what they were.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    The whole HBAR thing is nuts. Who is the almighty power that determines a gun is HBAR? There really is not much difference at all? But what do i know?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    After reading that AG letter, I'm back to questioning whether 300BLK is OK with a Non-HBAR barrel post BS281. I was always of the opinion that you can't fire a 300BLK from a 5.56 barrel. Therefore the 300BLK could never be a copy of an AR-15.

The barrel all by its little lonesome is an external part.

All of the innards are the same.

The song that never ends. Kinda like .45acp vs. 9mm. Corrosive Ammo vs. Non-Corrosive Ammo.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    After reading that AG letter, I'm back to questioning whether 300BLK is OK with a Non-HBAR barrel post BS281.

The barrel all by its little lonesome is an external part.

All of the innards are the same.

The song that never ends. Kinda like .45acp vs. 9mm. Corrosive Ammo vs. Non-Corrosive Ammo.

Fear not! The chamber is not, whether by happenstance or nature, it is not compatible. Any attempt at making it compatible will be folly.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    MAKE IT STOP!!!!!

I hate this law. Specifically written to keep folks guessin'.

PS: Purchased all of my Bambi whacking licenses today. Now it's up to the deer to show up this season. Got skunked last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom