• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Don't be dissing the plan man.

I ain't make them rules. I's just trying to live within the framework they provided.

Yeah, I am lucky I am an attorney in this craphole. I was looking at the DNR laws last night, and just the one section I was reading was enough to make my head hurt more than it was already hurting.

Nope, I envy you for being able to leave this state before retirement. I'm stuck here because of my parents, siblings, and good schools. My wife would leave in a heart beat. When I mentioned it in early 2013, she found houses in Richmond, North Carolina, and Texas that were all nicer than the house we live in and on way more land. One house in North Carolina was 7,000 sf, had 6 acres, and had an airplane hanger on it. The farms in Texas are insane. Yep, I am stuck here because I was born here and my parents are still here.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Yeah, I am lucky I am an attorney in this craphole. I was looking at the DNR laws last night, and just the one section I was reading was enough to make my head hurt more than it was already hurting.

Nope, I envy you for being able to leave this state before retirement. I'm stuck here because of my parents, siblings, and good schools. My wife would leave in a heart beat. When I mentioned it in early 2013, she found houses in Richmond, North Carolina, and Texas that were all nicer than the house we live in and on way more land. One house in North Carolina was 7,000 sf, had 6 acres, and had an airplane hanger on it. The farms in Texas are insane. Yep, I am stuck here because I was born here and my parents are still here.
    All good Fabs. One makes the most of the cards one's dealt.

NC was a part of the plan...the retirement plan. Among many other things (chiefly freedom and no commute/traffic), it's a 8% per annum raise over MD living because they/NC don't tax Fed or MIL retirement (Bailey Act exemption). The COL and scenery are bonuses.

I only stress it's a plan because some folks don't plan or don't plan well and end up less than happy/fulfilled.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    All good Fabs. One makes the most of the cards one's dealt.

NC was a part of the plan...the retirement plan. Among many other things (chiefly freedom and no commute/traffic), it's a 8% per annum raise over MD living because they/NC don't tax Fed or MIL retirement (Bailey Act exemption). The COL and scenery are bonuses.

I only stress it's a plan because some folks don't plan or don't plan well and end up less than happy/fulfilled.

In the grand scheme of things, I am happy. Would I be happier in North Carolina right now? Probably not. I would be miserable without my parents and siblings. Would I like to own a large property on the eastern shore where I could get away from all of this between DC, Frederick, Baltimore, and Annapolis. you betcha. Been looking at stuff in southern PA, Delaware, the Eastern Shore, and even West Virginia to get away from it all.

If the kids do not stay in Maryland, we will not be staying in Maryland when we retire. Granted, I will be at full social security retirement age by the time my youngest is 21.

End of the day, I cannot have everything I want right now no matter where I live, so I live here for now because it causes me the least heart ache. Yeah, the lack of liberty sucks, the tax rates suck, but being without my parents and siblings would suck way more.

ATBackpackin

Mar 27, 2016
    Phoenixville, PA
    Other than the law was written by Progressive bureaucrats, what am I missing? What is the logic between Hbar being legal without registering and everything else not?

Sorry, sure this has been hashed out thousands of times, but new here and not that familiar with MD law.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Other than the law was written by Progressive bureaucrats, what am I missing? What is the logic between Hbar being legal without registering and everything else not?

Sorry, sure this has been hashed out thousands of times, but new here and not that familiar with MD law.

You really should have seen what SB281 (n/k/a FSA2013) looked like back in 2013. Back in 2013, they initially wanted EVERYBODY with a grandfathered assault weapon to have to register them with MSP. They removed that part of the bill.

When it came time to define what an Assault Long Gun was, they just ran with the list that was already in place for regulated long guns in MD. Prior to FSA2013, we had to complete a Form 77R if we purchased any of those long guns on the Pub Safety 5-101(r) list. The Colt Sporter HBAR had been carved out of that list many moons ago. Probably a decade or more, and probably because it was a rifle with a sporting purpose. So, they just ran with the list of regulated long guns that was already in place and switched them from regulated to banned.

Does any of this make any sense? Nope. However, it makes certain people feel better about walking out their front door. Exactly how that is, I have no idea. Something to do with left brain, right brain thinking.

ATBackpackin

Mar 27, 2016
    Phoenixville, PA
    I must have the Readers Digest version of the Constitution because my copy doesn't mention anything in the 2A about sporting purpose.

On a serious note, those two words may be one of our worst enemies. Thanks for the clarification, well more like verifying that there was no logic.

You really should have seen what SB281 (n/k/a FSA2013) looked like back in 2013. Back in 2013, they initially wanted EVERYBODY with a grandfathered assault weapon to have to register them with MSP. They removed that part of the bill.

When it came time to define what an Assault Long Gun was, they just ran with the list that was already in place for regulated long guns in MD. Prior to FSA2013, we had to complete a Form 77R if we purchased any of those long guns on the Pub Safety 5-101(r) list. The Colt Sporter HBAR had been carved out of that list many moons ago. Probably a decade or more, and probably because it was a rifle with a sporting purpose. So, they just ran with the list of regulated long guns that was already in place and switched them from regulated to banned.

Does any of this make any sense? Nope. However, it makes certain people feel better about walking out their front door. Exactly how that is, I have no idea. Something to do with left brain, right brain thinking.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

For the 11,231,546th time, you need to look at the history of the list.

The list started in CA in the late 80s. The same basic list was adopted by the Feds with the Crime Bill of 1994. The Crime Bill of 1994 banned certain firearms by name and certain evils features.

But the supporters wanted to divide the shooters, and so they claimed they were not after "legitimate uses" such as hunting or target shooting.

At the time, the AR-15 was starting to win in High Power competition and was being used by the Army Marksmanship Unit for competition.

So they could not ban a "target" rifle. The only "target" rifle version of the AR-15 at the time, was the Colt Match Sporter HBAR. So they exempted that.

If you read the actual language of all the bans, including FSA2013 in MD, they only list by name the Colt AR-15, and exempt the Match Sporter HBAR. BUT, they added the copy or imitation language later. (Some back history, the first Crime Bill ban, some makers just changed the name of their rifle and kept on making them).

So since the copy or imitation language applies to the entire list, then ANY copy of the Colt Match Sporter HBAR would be exempted. Thus, all HBARS are OK.

Realize, the original list was made up by some staffers, sitting around with Gun Digest, and picking the "scary looking" rifles to ban. NO CONSIDERATION (actually no knowledge) of function or use.

This is also why the AR-15 is evil and banned, but the similar (in use) Mini-14 is OK (unless you put an evil folding stock on it, as that makes it full auto, just watch the "A Team" TV show).

Do NO try to apply logic to the situation. There is none.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    In the grand scheme of things, I am happy. Would I be happier in North Carolina right now? Probably not. I would be miserable without my parents and siblings. Would I like to own a large property on the eastern shore where I could get away from all of this between DC, Frederick, Baltimore, and Annapolis. you betcha. Been looking at stuff in southern PA, Delaware, the Eastern Shore, and even West Virginia to get away from it all.

If the kids do not stay in Maryland, we will not be staying in Maryland when we retire. Granted, I will be at full social security retirement age by the time my youngest is 21.

End of the day, I cannot have everything I want right now no matter where I live, so I live here for now because it causes me the least heart ache. Yeah, the lack of liberty sucks, the tax rates suck, but being without my parents and siblings would suck way more.

You and me both. I love a lot about this state. I hate a few things. Long term plan is still to either buy 20-50 acres in western Maryland. I'd like something closer to the mountains. This side of Washington county would be nice to enjoy the less restrictive deer hunting zone. It would be REALLY far to drive to work, but a hunting and summer cabin would be nice and towards retirement I could renovate and expand it (or build a real house on the property). Right now I telework 2 days a week. Hopefully in another 20 I might be able to do that another day or two a week. 1-2 days a week having to commute 3 hours round trip would be fine. Crappy, but by then all my kids would be grown up and moved out.

Alternate is WVA for similar. I'd do PA, which my parents are from, also up that direction, but PA hunting restrictions are something I don't want to deal with. Lack of tax on federal pensions would be nice though.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I must have the Readers Digest version of the Constitution because my copy doesn't mention anything in the 2A about sporting purpose.

In all seriousness, there's no logic at play when it comes to firearms law, especially in mommie-run states like Maryland.
    Here's the process:
    1. There's a mass shooting of white folks (especially, if children're involved)
    2. Moms and their genetically male counterparts effervesce with fear/depression (i.e., an acute depressive episode beyond the threshold efficacy of their meds) :sad20:
    3. Campaign donors and media, taking time-out from their respective parties on Martha's Vineyard, demand "Something must be done!"
    4. Left-leaning Dems and Repubs, looking to the next election cycle and keen to avoid dissing the most favoured culture (which causes the vast majority of gun-related crimes), craft new laws to appear to "do something", which lowers the depression levels of moms and their genetically male counterparts :)
    5. History repeats itself and only the names/dates change

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Not without long commute and keeping my sanity with long work hours. Can't afford Arlington or Alexandria, other options not feasible for us, reality of situation unfortunately.

Overall, converting to hbar not a big deal given don't have to register. Several other questions:

What is Max mag capacity on handgun, have a VP9 that holds 15 + 1. Is that a problem

2 other 45s that hold 10 + 1 and CCP 9mm that also holds 10, don't think registration will be a problem, will it?

Shotgun is Mossberg 500, also don't think that will be a problem but feel free to correct me.

Biggest loss is conceal carry, that really sucks!

Also am I able to shoot AR at MD range w/ Hbar conversion?

Thinking of buying a few more B4 I actually move too, is that even worth it?

I am a mile and half from DE and work in DC . it isn't that bad of a commute if you take the train!!!!!

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    so here is a question. If you bought most of your M4s and previously regulated stuff IN MD BEFORE 2013 and you moved out of state and then had to move BACK

Would you have to register it all since maryland/MSP already had the paperwork when you bought them. I.E. would you only have to worry about what you bought AFTER you left MD or do they pretend they never knew and you have to basically get rid of them..

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    :lol:
    so here is a question. If you bought most of your M4s and previously regulated stuff IN MD BEFORE 2013 and you moved out of state and then had to move BACK

Would you have to register it all since maryland/MSP already had the paperwork when you bought them. I.E. would you only have to worry about what you bought AFTER you left MD or do they pretend they never knew and you have to basically get rid of them..

You have to register them. Just because they have your 77r paperwork doesn't mean that the firearms are explicitly registered. Now I would assume if you voluntarily registered them after 2013, moved out of state and back in, you may be fine. Frankly with the possible penalties I wouldn't change it unless you get a letter from MSP or MD states attorney saying you don't have to.

Or if you moved in to the state post 2013 and registered them and then moved out and are now moving back in. You'd probably be okay. But again, I wouldn't risk it.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    ...The Colt Sporter HBAR had been carved out of that list many moons ago. Probably a decade or more, and probably because it was a rifle with a sporting purpose...

We lobbied hard for that back in the 90s. We won out as the 20" HBAR was used in DCM/CMP matches and we made the point that (fed) gov is encouraging this, your law would be at odds with this, etc.

No rhyme or reason, but we were happy to get even that. At the time I was a Garand snob and saw no use for plastic pajama boy guns anyway.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    First of all, welcome to MD. I moved back to MD 8 years ago from AZ for job reasons. In that regard, MD has been pretty good for both my and my wife's careers. Also, the schools are significantly better. My daughter has been in ballet since she was about 4 years old and there was nothing like Baltimore School for the Arts where were living in AZ.

That said, yeah... the gun laws are, well.. stupid. There's no logic whatsoever. So, people like us try to the letter of the law... but we're playing Scrabble with missing tiles.

Anyway, good luck on the move...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom