• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    OK, wife found a burr under her saddle and decided we are taking time off next week to spend up in y'lls neck of the woods. 5th to the 8th... need some advice for some good food, cold beer and fun for the kids (two 15 yr olds and a 8 yr old)...

Thanks in advance

jmt476

Jan 16, 2013
    Competely unrelated, but my fiance and I will be camping near Deep Creek the same weekend.haha

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Brenda's Pizza.

Mountain State Brewery.

Wisp has an cool obstacle course for the kids and yourself if you and your wife are in mild physical condition.

The falls are cool and there is a state park that I believe backs up to part of the lake that has some picnic stuff and the kids can swim or kayak in part of it.

If you or the wife enjoy wine there are several wineries not far in W.V. you could make a day or half a day of tastings.

Necessary Evil

Sep 21, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Brendas pizzeria for best pizza and italian food , pine lodge saloon for great burgers. Wisp has some cool things for the kids - mountain coaster, ladder bridge , maybe zip line. You'll have fun, very relaxing.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If you go to Swallow Falls, do your hike in water shoes and swimsuit and take a towel. If the water isnt too high, you'll be glad you did. Some nice hikes and a small beach in Deep Creek Lake State Park. There are organized themed hikes leaving from the Discovery Center pretty much 2 or more times per day during the summet with a park employee pointing out things within the scope of the theme of the hike. You're under an hour away from Blackwater Falls for a nice day trip and about an hour away from Ohiopyle for whitewater rafting. Boat rentals and personal water craft rentals are widely available on the Lake, although a bit pricey. The Lakeside creamery is good. There are a couple decent places to eat right in Oakland...wish i could remember the name of the place we eat breakfast on occasion...although names escape me at the moment. When you get to Rt 68, there is the Penn Alps Spruce Forest artisan colony. Its about 30 minutes or so from Deep Creek State Park, or you can hit it coming or going if you are passing by when the crafters are there. Handmade woven goods, pottery, wood works, iron works, wood carving, soaps and creams etc right across from a decent, if unspectacular, restaurant and also next to the historic Casselman bridge. There are often demonstrations as the crsfters do their thing. There is fishing all over the area. Of course, there are also some Houligans from MDS who live nearby as well. If you need some supplies after arriving there is some shopping nearby including a Super Walmart so, when i camp, i dont worry about having everything i need like water/drinks, snacks, etc.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I like to take the drive and hike up BackBone mountain. Highest point in MD.

From there it's a quick jaunt over to The Purple Fiddle, great live music in a hippy WV restaurant.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    As mentioned the Wisp, Brenda's, Mountain State, Swallow Falls etc. can be fun.
    Herrington Manor has a small lake that's a lot of fun for kids.
    ASCI is on top of Marsh Mountain near the WISP.

There's plenty to do in the Deep Creek Area. Have a great time!

http://wispresort.com/
    http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/swallowfalls.aspx
    http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/herrington.aspx
    http://adventuresportscenter.com/

PS: :secret: if you're anywhere near the Savage River shooting range very early on Sunday morning you might run into a few Hooligans... ;)

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    All great answers above. Well, except for the swimming in Swallow Falls. Lots of people do it, I've just seen too many people get hurt playing on the slippery rocks.

Enjoy the county, it's beautiful.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    AWESOME!!! Thanks guys.

Might not make it Sunday, although it would be fun for Dad :)

Because of what I do, my idea of a vacation is plopping my ass down and reading a good book with cold adult beverages close by... Wife on the other hand has a much different view of "vacation"... This should be a good combination.

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    Mountain coaster

I second the mountain coaster at Wisp. My sons and I have spent a week or so in Garrett County fishing since they were about 5 and 7. They always look forward to a ride on the mountain coaster.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    As mentioned the Wisp, Brenda's, Mountain State, Swallow Falls etc. can be fun.
    Herrington Manor has a small lake that's a lot of fun for kids.

My parents would rent a cabin for a week and take their grandkids there. Kids had a blast and we got a mommy daddy vacation as well

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Deep Creek Lake State Park has a awesome beach setting, with roped off swimming area, kayaking. Smooth sand beach, with trees at the end of the sand, to hang in the shade, There is also a grill and picnic areas set up. If you rent a place try to stay at the north end of the lake, and the kids can walk to the miniature golf and go-carts areas.

Love Deep Creek Lake.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Wife and Friend's wife found a cedar chalet type just after the first bridge; big enough for four adults, two 15 yr old hockey players, and an 8 yr old rug rat. Rented a pontoon our first day, tubed and explored/sightseed the lake; then it rained.... and rained LOL

We did get some ice cream; damn good ice cream at Lakeside Creamery. Got to hit the whitewater course at Wisp, wife and I did the small inflatibles, rest did the rafts...

I am ashamed to say we did not hit Brenda's, the Mountstate Brewery, nor Arthurs BBQ....

As we were docking the pontoon, the wives were talking to one of the youngsters who were working there. Girls came to Rob and I, telling us of a great seafood restaurant they were told about. Supposedly the place also had good chicken tenders (for the youngster and thier hockey player).... Girls took us to the Green Turtle??!!! Both Rob and I said we could have stayed in Frederick for that.... but, after teasing the girls, dinner wasn't too bad and we were tired afterall.

Next day was rain out mostly, but we did manage some mini golf in between raindrops. Rob and I cooked a steak n chicken dinner for the girls, enjoyed some cornhole under the porch and then several games of "crimes against humanity" (not truly appropriate for the kids, but what the hell.. was fun seeing them blush a little).

Last day, we ran to the Wisp for the whitewater rafting, and then the girls wanted to horse back ride.... got the whitewater done before the storms hit.... Girls said they wanted to go to another restaurant they heard about.. some Uno... even the boys said it was Pizza Uno or Chicago Uno and was a chain.. girls said no.... we were right... but girls were happy...

Wanted to hit the chair coaster at Wisp this AM, but the rain as we packed the cars took its toll on the girls.

We had fun, and next time will hit the "good" food places.... Thanks for the advice guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom