• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    What are the laws in Maryland in regards to collecting roadkill for food?
    Asking for a friend. :innocent0

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    As long it's reported as road kill..

I know a coworker hit a deer with his truck on his way to the hunting ground at 4am.. deer was still alive but on the side of the road by couple close by residences. he called 911.. cops showed up.. was about to shoot it with his service gun until my coworker suggested he could do it quieter by using a bow and arrow.. lol. Police report was done and he took the deer home.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    As long it's reported as road kill..

I know a coworker hit a deer with his truck on his way to the hunting ground at 4am.. deer was still alive but on the side of the road by couple close by residences. he called 911.. cops showed up.. was about to shoot it with his service gun until my coworker suggested he could do it quieter by using a bow and arrow.. lol. Police report was done and he took the deer home.

Is that all you have to do?
    I have had MANY near misses but I don't butcher. Butcher needs a tag. I thought there was a way to report it to DNR and get a tag #? But I could not find out how to do this.

If I hit a deer in season and it was cold enough, I'd want to field dress it and get to butcher quickly.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have had MANY near misses but I don't butcher. Butcher needs a tag. I thought there was a way to report it to DNR and get a tag #? But I could not find out how to do this.

If I hit a deer in season and it was cold enough, I'd want to field dress it and get to butcher quickly.
    Haven't hit a deer with a car.. but..

Seems there is a roadkill tag you can get from Leos.. if you want a deer processor to cut em up.

https://www.mdshooters.com/archive/index.php/t-139548.html

Edit: forgot.. a deer hit me while driving home.. it ran away.. still have the dent on the rear driver side panel of my Mazda.. lol

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    cant win on posting photos. they are always sidewards even if i rotate them before posting.

Attachments

• 20170622_215813.jpg
      20170622_215813.jpg
      89.9 KB · Views: 2,522

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Has to have a DNR tag. Most LEO's are not carrying them and have to call DNR. Possession of game killed out of season is illegal without the tag ... doesn't matter if you butcher it yourself.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I hit one years ago.The LEO who showed up didnt have any tags.He just gave me his card and said to call him if anybody questioned it.Not sure if that still works tho.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Need a possession tag from DNR. Be aware some butchers will not play with road kill, make sure the time of hit or death is a known before consuming something bad, and gutting a road kill can be quite gross and messy - weak nose and strong stomach will help.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N

Most of the posts have been about "roadkill Deer", what about that tasty squirrel or possum that you might want to take home?
    Roadkill is more than "deer", why does it have to be like that, squirrels, possums, chipmunks and let's not forget skunks all deserve to be classified as roadkill!
    After all this is Maryland, the Maryland AG should be notified of a possible lawsuit that he can file! ;)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Most of the posts have been about "roadkill Deer", what about that tasty squirrel or possum that you might want to take home?
    Roadkill is more than "deer", why does it have to be like that, squirrels, possums, chipmunks and let's not forget skunks all deserve to be classified as roadkill!
    After all this is Maryland, the Maryland AG should be notified of a possible lawsuit that he can file! ;)

There aren't possession tags, but you'd technically still be in trouble for possession of game outside of season (if it was). I doubt anyone is going to give you trouble for picking up possum with rice for dinner off the road.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Um. If you see a ran over squirrel for example. do you think you'll have a salvageable meat to eat? Lol

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    State Police has a Road kill tag they can give you but none of them carry it. An index card with a case number is good enough. DNR always has roadkill tags on them.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    Have deer hit in front of the house a couple times a year and when the officer doesn't have a tag he'll write something like " vehicle/deer case # " and let it go at that.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Deer- DNR non-hunt tag is what they use to tag it with, not sure if any change. Seems processors don't often care about tags, just that it's gutted properly. If you pick up a roadkill buck/piebald/ albino/ other oddball color deer/other deer you want hide tanning etc, you MUST have the DNR tag for the taxidermist.

Roadkill furbearers- I was told years ago that it's ok to pick up if found within the open season. Fisher and otter must be tagged by DNR no later than 15 days after the close of season. Furbearers out of season- DNR may give you a possession tag for personal use/bring to a taxidermist, example- fox pup found in Baltimore county.

Federally protected birds like hawks and songbirds- NO NO! Unless American Indian with proper permit. I don't know the specifics on that with hawks, owls, songbirds, etc. I know eagles for Indians requires a special eagle permit and can only come from the eagle repository after being on a waiting list. If you find a dead eagle anywhere, leave it, and you can call DNR to report it. DNR doesn't care about dead hawks etc as much unless it's obviously been poached. Obvious roadkill, and they seem to not care. Federal salvage permit is available for educational groups as well, and allows for federally protected birds like hawks and owls.

On a side note, one DNR officer told me that if I want a roadkill deer, I must leave it where it was found and wait for them to tag it. Yeah like I am going to leave it ungutted for how ever many hours it takes them to finally show up, then call me to meet them there. I waited 3 hours for this DNR officer to come tag one I found, at home, then he tells me this. I'm not going to grab a roadkill deer anymore if this is the case.

What I said above is for informational purposes, if you want to know 100% contact DNR police or the permits coordinator ( who knows all the stuff the officers seem to never know). I have her ph # if anyone needs it.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I hit a spike buck with my vehicle on I-66 in Virginia at about 70 mph. Yes, I thought I was going to die but fortunately the deer didn't roll up onto the hood and instead flew forward about 20 feet and then got pushed aside. The vehicle was wrecked so we couldn't drive away. We called 911 and a sheriff deputy came out. He just helped block traffic so we could get the vehicle safely onto the shoulder of the road. Then a state trooper came out. He gave me a hand field dressing it and a tag. He said he guessed exactly where to find us when he heard the call because he'd already been to multiple deer strikes at this particular mile marker that week (watch out around Mile Marker 10!) I was actually on my way to go hunting so I had all the right gear to get it home (although it ended up getting a ride on a tow truck!). The vehicle hit the deer hard once in the front shoulder and a little softer again in the back leg. I didn't mess with the meat on those areas due to bone fragments/blood damage. But probably 2/3 of the meat was good to eat.

Personally I wouldn't mess with road kill that I didn't see get hit. Foodborne illness is no fun. I also would be very careful handling a deer (and especially furbearers) in the summer since they get so many ticks on them.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

The responding officer is supposed to give you a tag.

If it's during a hunting season, just use your DNR I'd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom