• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Axis and Allies Match. If you've been wanting a good reason to shoot your vintage military rifle and have a bit of camaraderie with like minded enthusiasts. The first match will be held on Saturday, June 24 at Delta Peach Bottom Fish & Game in Southern PA. Registration will be at 11:30 and shooting will start at the completion of the CMP match. If we get a good turnout, we will continue to have matches on a monthly basis. The matches will be a very light competition with the emphasis being marksmanship, fun and on few firearm regulations (other than safety), . All shooting will be done from the bench. No prone, or seated on the ground. This is designed for the average shooter, not the high power match competitor. You do not need to be a club member to participate in this event.

$10 entry fee, use your own ammo
    Only one gun per shooter.
    Military issued rifles up to and including 1960
    Smokeless powder cartridge only
    No sporterized stocks or barrels
    Rear peep sights are allowed even if they weren't an issued item, to help equalize the sighting improvements over the 100+ year time period.(also for those with poor vision)
    Aftermarket scopes ARE allowed even if scopes were not an issue item.
    There will be two simple classes. Optics (anything using glass) and Non-optics (irons including peeps)
    The range will be at 100 yds
    The targets will be NRA SR-1 100 yd. slow fire
    Front rifle rest only. No sleds or rear bags.
    Round count will be 3 strings of 8 shots. 24 shots total. Total possible score is 240.
    You will have 2 minutes to fire your 8 shots in each of your three strings of shooting.
    There will be 5 shooters on the line at a time shooting one string of 8. After 2 minutes they will be rotated out, targets will be collected and the next 5 shooters will shoot their string.
    All shooting will be done from the bench. No prone, or seated on the ground.
    You can use a spotter. We may have some spotting scopes set up, but it's best to bring your own.
    2 minute set-up time when you get to the bench. That includes setting up your spotting scope if you have one.
    No "sight-in" time. Make sure your are sighted in for 100 yards BEFORE you get to the range.

If you have any questions, post them here.

Last edited:

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Basically, if it has the same caliber, stock, & barrel length as a military issued rifle it should be fine. BUT, if you have any doubts about it being allowed, bring a second rifle that you KNOW is allowed just in case.

Kobold Thief

Oct 20, 2015
    Brooklyn Park
    Tempted to bring out my SKS to see what I can do.
    Question: Will the range be open to shooting unrelated to the match? I rarely get the chance to shoot past 25 yards and it'd be fun to bring a few rifles and make a day out of it in addition to the competition.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Tempted to bring out my SKS to see what I can do.
    Question: Will the range be open to shooting unrelated to the match? I rarely get the chance to shoot past 25 yards and it'd be fun to bring a few rifles and make a day out of it in addition to the competition.

Are you a club member?

cwalker3

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    I just saw this and although I missed the first match, I would be interested in future matches.

You don't mention the prize for winning, so I'm assuming that the winners in both categories split the entry fee money as the prize. Is that correct?

Do we supply our own targets?

How did the first contest go? How was the turnout?

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    We'd love to have you join the next one. Don't look for any prize money however. This is a "fun match" and is designed to be low key, light on firearm restrictions and welcoming to those who are new to competition as well as seasoned shooters. Prize money has a way of sucking the fun out of things for all but the best shooters.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I missed the last one and looking forward to the next date. Sounds like a good time and opportunity to get out of my area and see some new things, hope the club has a good turn out for the next one. Maybe someone could post up what type of weapons were there and others could get an idea what to bring to fill some gaps in.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    We had a diverse group of guns. 1903a, M1 carbine, M1A, Schmidt Rubin M1911, SKS, MAS49/56 etc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Pretty loose collection of Post WWII rifles for "Axis and Allies".
    Do they have separate classes such as WWII Bolt, WWII Semi, Post WWII, etc?

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Pretty loose collection of Post WWII rifles for "Axis and Allies".
    Do they have separate classes such as WWII Bolt, WWII Semi, Post WWII, etc?
    Nah, just scoped and irons. The Axis and Allies moniker is really a misnomer carried over from an earlier idea. This is a "fun" match, so we allow non-issue sighting systems to make up for advancements in sights in the over 100 year span this shoot covers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom