• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaiderANV

Jan 25, 2014
    Looking at buying one of those old Daisy/Heddon VL caseless .22 ammo rifles. The guy lives in MD and I in Virginia. Sooooo.....can a Virginia guy buy it off a Maryland guy without getting 50 years in jail??

Thanks in advance

RaiderANV

Jan 25, 2014
    I have a C&R but haven't seen it in the last year since packing and moving. So this has to be shipped to a dealer in Virginia or cab I buy it through a dealer in Maryland and take it back with me. Seller is a dealer but really old and not sure how it would work either,,,,,go figure.
    thanks again

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I have a C&R but haven't seen it in the last year since packing and moving. So this has to be shipped to a dealer in Virginia or cab I buy it through a dealer in Maryland and take it back with me. Seller is a dealer but really old and not sure how it would work either,,,,,go figure.
    thanks again

Can transfer the long gun through an FFL in either state, but must go through an FFL for an interstate transfer. That's by federal law, not MD.

If seller is an FFL he should be able to transfer it to you but must do a 4473 and NICS check, cannot treat it like a private transaction.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If its a long gun, couldn't the FFL be in either state?

Handguns would only be in the buyer's state of residence. Isn't that how it works?

well from my reading there is no distinction between a handgun and a long gun. must go through FFL in buyer's state of residence

Doesn't apply to long gun purchases. LG purchases can be from an FFL in any state as long as legal in both states.

from a BATFE fAQ

Attachments

• sale.jpg
      sale.jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 1,252

blackcrow

Jun 18, 2012
    yes, as long as the firearm is legal to possess in both states.

must be transferred through a VA FFL.

My understanding that long guns purchased by a party in a boarder state is legal. A friend of mine did this at the Chantilly gun show and private seller checked with FFL prior to sale. If seller has a FFL may be problem.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Violation of Federal law. The border state statute was an old MD law, which is no longer the case AFAIK. The BATFE faq makes no exceptions for border states.

Residents of different states, gun must go through buyers state FFL

But IANAL or an FFL.

Last edited:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Violation of Federal law. The border state statute was an old MD law, which is no longer the case AFAIK. The BATFE faq makes no exceptions for border states.

Residents of different states, gun must go through buyers state FFL

But IANAL or an FFL.

I don't have time to look it up right now, but he can transfer/purchase a long gun through an FFL in another state as long as he is not in violation of any of his own state laws in receiving it. (For example an Illinois resident who goes to Indiana and tries to purchase a long gun without having the FOID Illinois requires, would be a violation. Or a Maryland resident who goes to Florida and tries to purchase an AK-47, banned in Maryland, would be in violation). As long as the long gun is legal in his home state and he is following all of his home state's rules, he is okay. I don't know why the ATF seems to have that wrong in their FAQ's, but they do.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    well from my reading there is no distinction between a handgun and a long gun. must go through FFL in buyer's state of residence

Doesn't apply to long gun purchases. LG purchases can be from an FFL in any state as long as legal in both states.

from a BATFE fAQ

Read the article you quoted. It says how may a person receive a firearm in THEIR State. You cannot receive in your State from an out of State FFL, you have to go to their State.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    so i guess the distinction is buying a long gun from an out of state FFL, vs buying from an out of state private seller and having an FFL in that state do a background check. is there a difference?

You can travel to an out of State FFL to Buy a long gun. If that FFL does a transfer from a private party while you are in his store that is OK. If you are in your State you must use an FFL in your State.
    An out of State FFL cannot ship you a gun. I think that is the answer to your question?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    You can travel to an out of State FFL to Buy a long gun. If that FFL does a transfer from a private party while you are in his store that is OK. If you are in your State you must use an FFL in your State.
    An out of State FFL cannot ship you a gun. I think that is the answer to your question?

yeah just trying to clarify all the info, for the OP.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    so i guess the distinction is buying a long gun from an out of state FFL, vs buying from an out of state private seller and having an FFL in that state do a background check. is there a difference?

exactly. buying from an FFL in any state is legal. BUYING from a non licensee in another state requires the firearm to be transferred to an FFL in your state.

the phrase "the guy" in the OP makes it sound like the seller is a non licensee. correct me if I'm wrong

The guy lives in MD and I in Virginia. Sooooo.....can a Virginia guy buy it off a Maryland guy without getting 50 years in jail??

Thanks in advance

I'm assuming buying from a non licensee is what the OP was about. That requires an FFL in the buyers state of residence. If the gun is not in the out of state FFL's inventory, it cannot be transferred as if it were a sale. Must go to the buyer's state FFL.

Last edited:

Conductor

Mar 14, 2014
    Loudoun County, VA
    exactly. buying from an FFL in any state is legal. BUYING from a non licensee in another state requires the firearm to be transferred to an FFL in your state.

the phrase "the guy" in the OP makes it sound like the seller is a non licensee. correct me if I'm wrong

I'm assuming buying from a non licensee is what the OP was about. That requires an FFL in the buyers state of residence. If the gun is not in the out of state FFL's inventory, it cannot be transferred as if it were a sale. Must go to the buyer's state FFL.

I work in a gun store, and run across this situation just about every day.
    If a resident of my state wants to transfer a LONG GUN to a resident of another state, the deal must go through an FFL. The FFL DOES NOT have to be in the buyer's home state, as long as the laws of the state where the sale is taking place as well as the laws of the buyer's home state are followed.
    For example: if a Virginia resident wants to sell a long gun to a resident of Maryland, the transfer can be handled by an FFL in either state, as long as the laws of both states are followed.
    If, on the other hand, the transfer involves a handgun, then the transfer must be handled by an FFL in the state in which the buyer lives.

So, the short answer to the OP's question is YES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom