• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thats a nice fish, but just so you know, when measuring with a soft tape on top like that you added a couple inches or so on a fish that size. Only way for accurate measurement is with a measuring devise underneath the fish with the nose up against a stop and thats were the measuring device starts.

Been watching too much "Wicked Tuna". :D

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon

Don't watch Wicked Tuna, just know that as fact from fishing all my life. Mainly from Bass fishing. In one of are club tnxs a few years ago one of the guys didn't have a Golden Rule so he measured them like in the picture I commented on. The bass needed to be a minimum of 15''. When I saw the fish looked short we measured them correctly and all but one of the five was short by 1/4 to a 1/2''.
    DNR will measure properly so if you are concerned about making minimum length you better measure with the tape on the bottom of the fish.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Don't watch Wicked Tuna, just know that as fact from fishing all my life. Mainly from Bass fishing. In one of are club tnxs a few years ago one of the guys didn't have a Golden Rule so he measured them like in the picture I commented on. The bass needed to be a minimum of 15''. When I saw the fish looked short we measured them correctly and all but one of the five was short by 1/4 to a 1/2''.
    DNR will measure properly so if you are concerned about making minimum length you better measure with the tape on the bottom of the fish.

He was probably talking about Marshmallow being the one watching too much wicked tuna. That's how they measure all their fish, with the tape curved around the fish. Those suckers are over 7' long though, so measuring like that probably adds a lot more than an inch or two...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    He was probably talking about Marshmallow being the one watching too much wicked tuna. That's how they measure all their fish, with the tape curved around the fish. Those suckers are over 7' long though, so measuring like that probably adds a lot more than an inch or two...

Zackly. :thumbsup:

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo

Tuna are measured as curved fork length. Here is info from NOAA/NMFS on proper measurements:

CURVED FORK LENGTH (CFL) MEASUREMENT
    For enforcement purposes, total curved fork length is the sole criterion for determining the size class of whole (with head) Atlantic tunas. Measurements must be taken in a line, tracing the contour of the body from the tip of the upper jaw to the fork of the tail, which abuts the dorsal insertion of the pectoral fin and the dorsal side of the caudal keel. Measurements must be taken from the dorsal insertion of the pectoral fin, tracing the contour of the body, to the fork of the tail. THE TAPE MUST TOUCH THE TOP PORTION OF THE PECTORAL FIN.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Tuna are measured as curved fork length. Here is info from NOAA/NMFS on proper measurements:

For enforcement purposes, total curved fork length is the sole criterion for determining the size class of whole (with head) Atlantic tunas. Measurements must be taken in a line, tracing the contour of the body from the tip of the upper jaw to the fork of the tail, which abuts the dorsal insertion of the pectoral fin and the dorsal side of the caudal keel. Measurements must be taken from the dorsal insertion of the pectoral fin, tracing the contour of the body, to the fork of the tail. THE TAPE MUST TOUCH THE TOP PORTION OF THE PECTORAL FIN.

Yup. Different fisheries have differing methods of measuring and you better know what is right and what is wrong before you set out. :thumbsup:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

Makes sense for a tuna. Them suckers are BIG

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Attachments

• IMG_4059.JPG
      IMG_4059.JPG
      154 KB · Views: 367
    • smallies.jpg
      smallies.jpg
      91.1 KB · Views: 359

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    5/28 I caught 28 white and 2 yellow perch.

Attachments

• 0528171024.jpg
      0528171024.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 344
    • 0528171053.jpg
      0528171053.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 339
    • 0528171118a.jpg
      0528171118a.jpg
      25.7 KB · Views: 347

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Actually my metal board was on the charter boat. So I had to improvise. Checked it on the flat cooler at home. That's where the measurement came from. It was 46" with the soft tape.

Haha, just fooling with ya. My Captain was using two pieces of electrical tape on the gunwale for measuring (his bright idea). It was an absolute fail! :lol2:

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Haha, just fooling with ya. My Captain was using two pieces of electrical tape on the gunwale for measuring (his bright idea). It was an absolute fail! :lol2:
    I have two points on the rear bench of the Grady marked out. One at 28 and one at 20. As long as it's a flat surface and it crosses the points, it doesn't matter. I used masking tape on my old boat. As long as it's an accurate mark, who cares what it is lol.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sounds like a Recipe to lose a fish overboard.

That was my biggest complaint. Plus, it's almost impossible to hold a 40"+ fish vertically against the gunwale to try and measure too(which was how he had it rigged) as is evident in this pick. I made him break out the official fish measuring tape. :o

Attachments

• tape.jpg
      tape.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 270

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    This family from Louisiana had a good morning on the boat. We did well on the upper bay.
    Nice! We fished a few times up north in the past couple of weeks and got all shorts.. couldn't stretch em past 19" and we caught a boatload of em. Fished Hacketts with a buddy last week and we boated a 26" and a few more over 20", so they are moving up a bit. My SIL fished yesterday at Love Pt and got these in about an hour...

Attachments

• 518207810.jpg
      518207810.jpg
      89.9 KB · Views: 210

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Took the kids fishing for the first time since moved yesterday. Caught a few minnows, lol.

Attachments

• 20170604_191522.jpg
      20170604_191522.jpg
      118.5 KB · Views: 199

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads