• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I saw this on a list of bills in the 2A section.

HB1427
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=03&id=hb1427&tab=subject3&ys=2017rs

HB1223 Failed last year.
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=03&id=hb1223&tab=subject3&ys=2016RS
    This failed last year because of an unfavorable report from Education, Health, and Environmental Affairs.

Looks like they may have solved the differences and this version is looking good. I'm not an expert on this process but I'm hopeful it will pass and be implemented for the 2017/18 season.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    A person must satisfactorily complete a short online or electronic course of instruction in competency in firearms and hunter safety that is approved by DNR prior to obtaining an apprentice hunting license.

A person may only hunt under the apprentice license if (1) accompanied and directly supervised by a person who is at least age 18 and has a valid resident nonapprentice hunting license and (2) the person accompanying the apprentice hunter maintains close visual and verbal contact with, provides adequate direction to, and is in a position to immediately assume control of the firearm of the apprentice hunting licensee. However, if an apprentice hunting licensee has a certificate of competency in firearms and hunter safety, the licensee may hunt without supervision (unless the licensee is participating in a DNR-approved junior hunt).

The apprentice hunting educational requirement can be accessed at https://webapps02.dnr.state.md.us/dnrApprentice/frmMain.aspx.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So it's Fake apprentice hunting ?

This is pretty close to what Va has (they don't have any online test) which got my #1 son started. He did the online & field day the next year.

This new program will get #2 son started but now I can do the hunt on my property in MD.

This is a good thing for those working to get their kids or friends hunting and they did not want to invest in the online course or field day time required.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Taking a test vs not taking a test is the Litmus Test ( pun unintentional ).

Your kids you have control over to make them take Hunter Safety, because you're the parent, and you said so . Adults: 1. Without hunting backgrounda 2. Busy lives, and non- 9-5 schedules are difficult.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Taking a test vs not taking a test is the Litmus Test ( pun unintentional ).

Your kids you have control over to make them take Hunter Safety, because you're the parent, and you said so . Adults: 1. Without hunting backgrounda 2. Busy lives, and non- 9-5 schedules are difficult.

There are also those parents who have kids who are on the fence. I am not going to force me kids to go hunting. My oldest is 9. Last year he went out rabbit/squirrel hunting in February (not this last feb when he had just turned 9, back in 2016 when he was 8). Of course nothing to be found and he didn't mind.

I'll try to take him to western Maryland to squirrel hunt and camp and I can't imagine we won't manage at least a couple of Bushy tails.

He has been trap shooting once and shot 5 of the 25 before he called it quits with low recoil shells. He has expressed interest in trying it again and I have a .410 for him to use now and I'll probably take him to the range to shoot my .22 first.

He has some interest, but honestly I don't think he'd stick it through an online class and short field day, let alone a full field day. He might, but he is probably a couple of years away from it. If next year he is interested enough I'll out him in to get a full hunting license, but the apprentice license allows me to start him a year early on when I think he'd really be ready to get a full license and then he can try out actually hunting squirrels (rabbits if we can) with me and if he is fine with it, get his hunting license the next year. By then he will probably be big enough to use a deer rifle/shotgun.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    As a Maryland State Hunter Safety Instructor for more then 25 years, I'm not sold on the Apprentice program. While it may get more younger boys and girls in to hunting it may also lead to more injury or deaths. There was a reason for the original program to have 10 hours in the class room, it was 10 hours of hunting information being read, shown or taught. The retention of info in this forum is much better then a few minutes on a computer. I think about the young boy a few years back that was in a tree stand not far from his father. While the father had shown him how to operate the bow he may not have stressed enough how to handle it going up and more importantly coming down from a tree stand hence the boy shot himself and died. In our class room we have a tree stand section that is an hour plus on the subject plus the same spent on bows and their safety. The same goes for rifles and shotguns. Yes I know each child is different some can absorb the info and will act accordingly but most will not given their attention span these days. I would hate to see injury or possible deaths due to "mentors" not giving the kids the info needed for a safe hunt. We as Hunter Safety Instructors are all volunteers as we the outdoors and hunting and want to pass it on to the new generation but safely. Chris

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    This- could have been avoided if he were under an the adults direct supervision/control. Thats why they make 2 man tree stands.

As a Maryland State Hunter Safety Instructor for more then 25 years, I'm not sold on the Apprentice program. While it may get more younger boys and girls in to hunting it may also lead to more injury or deaths. There was a reason for the original program to have 10 hours in the class room, it was 10 hours of hunting information being read, shown or taught. The retention of info in this forum is much better then a few minutes on a computer. I think about the young boy a few years back that was in a tree stand not far from his father. While the father had shown him how to operate the bow he may not have stressed enough how to handle it going up and more importantly coming down from a tree stand hence the boy shot himself and died. In our class room we have a tree stand section that is an hour plus on the subject plus the same spent on bows and their safety. The same goes for rifles and shotguns. Yes I know each child is different some can absorb the info and will act accordingly but most will not given their attention span these days. I would hate to see injury or possible deaths due to "mentors" not giving the kids the info needed for a safe hunt. We as Hunter Safety Instructors are all volunteers as we the outdoors and hunting and want to pass it on to the new generation but safely. Chris

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Battered Hunter Saftey Instructor Syndrome .

41 States have Apprentice Hunter programs. Blood is NOT running in the woods & fields .

To clarify , my previous comment about Yutes, and parental orders related to attending the CLASS . Actual Hunting participation by Yutes should be carefully considered by both parent and young person.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Battered Hunter Saftey Instructor Syndrome .

41 States have Apprentice Hunter programs. Blood is NOT running in the woods & fields .

To clarify , my previous comment about Yutes, and parental orders related to attending the CLASS . Actual Hunting participation by Yutes should be carefully considered by both parent and young person.

You would be surprised the number of adults who do not understand safety.

The 8 question test is no big deal.

The main take aways:
    1) Do not shoot @ orange
    2) Do not get excited or rushed: always keep the safety on, and muzzle in a safe direction.

The video about the ground blind placement was a little long

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom