• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    hornady and lyman normally, but I have a few books because of the different powders and bullets that you can get. Powder companys give load data in handouts and online. Information pretty easy to come by.

Scott P

Funny...like a clown
    Jan 29, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Just remember that powder chemistry changes from time to time.

It's good to cross reference your load data from several creditable and current references.

My all in one books tend to be very old load data tables from out of print books.

I'm not too happy with the Hornady book. I think the loads are on the light side from my experience.

Just my .02 for what it is worth these days.

I concur............and yes I just bumped a 5 year old thread.:innocent0

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Best and most accurate are results from THEIR gun... in their conditions. Your results are bound to be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    i have 2 full shelves of manuals. Lyman, Hornady, Speer, Hodgdon, Ideal, RCBS, Lee, Lachmiller, Pacific, Belding & Mull, NRA, Sierra, P.O.Ackley & Handloaders Pet Loads. What I use depends on what I want, shotgun, rifle, pistol. cast bullet or jacketed, maybe use an obsolete powder or primer...
    Information is power

I have found that different publications contradict each other in some cases and their data isn't close to being the same. I subscribe to several reloading forums online and generally talk to others who have working load date. I usually share loads that I have worked up and we exchange information. So far it's worked pretty well for me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Best and most accurate are results from THEIR gun... in their conditions. Your results are bound to be different.

Which is why the OCW method has you load over the book max, to see what occurs in YOUR gun.

The idea being, with the small increments of increase, if one level shows no pressure signs, the next increment will not be dangerous. But you STOP when you see any pressure signs and go back to the previous increment as your max in your rifle, with your components.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I just ordered the 10th Edition of Hornady and it’s arriving this morning.

I have Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, and Lee books. I also built up a binder of losing manuals from powder manufacturers, since they seem to have bullet/powder combinations not in the other books. Just Google “Loading Manual PDF” and sift through the results. Can’t beat the price.

Scott P

Funny...like a clown
    Jan 29, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Does anyone know why this old book is so expensive on Fleabay??

s-l225.webp

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Does anyone know why this old book is so expensive on Fleabay??

s-l225.webp

Which edition?

Two possible answers, last edition with certain caliber data.

Or, people on Fleabay are morons.

Take your pick

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Not necessarily. In .223 or .308 you can put Lake City Match or Federal Gold Medal Match into any rifle and it will shoot well.

Same thing with hand loads. There are loads that are accurate is just about every rifle.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

I guess it depends on your definition of well. I tried several brands of match ammo and some of them would shoot about 1MOA and some wouldn't. Handloads got me below .5 MOA on my 308. and almost as good with my 223 but I didn't try as hard with the 223 yet.

i check online and a couple manuals when starting over with something new. Which I haven't done in a long time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I guess it depends on your definition of well. I tried several brands of match ammo and some of them would shoot about 1MOA and some wouldn't. Handloads got me below .5 MOA on my 308. and almost as good with my 223 but I didn't try as hard with the 223 yet.

i check online and a couple manuals when starting over with something new. Which I haven't done in a long time.

Did I say several different brands?

I specifically called out Lake City and Federal Gold Medal Match.

Yes, you might be able to get your rifle a better load, but it will not shoot those two well, you have a rifle problem, not a load problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom