• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Well I did it ,bought a 550 off eBay. Actually a lot of stuff.Guess fellow was getting away from reloading. Everything but powder and cases. To bad dies aren’t what I want but I’ll keep em. Came with 223 and 6.5. Trying to figure this powder thrower, call Dillon or get on ole web and figure it out . Buddy is gonna give me the run down come check it out. So I figure another eh 300 I’ll be reloading. Been reading the post from Sticky has me ready to push pull the lever .Thinking I need book, powder , some cases/bullets, primers. Told wife had to get a 6.5 now because I have dies she wasn’t going for it.Anyway guys suggestions. Want to load 38/357, 9mm and eventually 44mag, 45 and maybe 40 . This lot came with a single stage press also with an electric trimmer. So one day I can see 308 and 30/06 and...... we’ll I’m gonna have to wait. Figure I want cci primers but no clue on powder, brand that is .i know theres difference with rifle and pistol. Is there an all around powder that would be good for 9 and 357. Assuming there’s different grains . Man I still have so much reading to do. Asking for suggestions and opinions , positive ones I hope:definitely new to reloading. Thanks

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Welcome to the sickness. Buckle up cuz there’s a lot to learn...

Ask all the questions you want cuz nothings worth getting hurt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Thank you sir. This is a whole new world for me and well I need to start reloading. Think I’m go. .nna go get some lizard bedding for my vibrate thing . Clean some cases see how it works. Biggest question now is pistol powder . Brand , is there certain grain as far as how it’s made , is it good for 9mm and 357/38. Does bass pro carry anything worth buying . In Millersville any suggestions on place to purchase powder.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Thank you sir. This is a whole new world for me and well I need to start reloading. Think I’m go. .nna go get some lizard bedding for my vibrate thing . Clean some cases see how it works. Biggest question now is pistol powder . Brand , is there certain grain as far as how it’s made , is it good for 9mm and 357/38. Does bass pro carry anything worth buying . In Millersville any suggestions on place to purchase powder.

I never was a fan of the lizard bedding.
    Check some online places for corncob blasting media. You can get it in smaller diameters so it doesn't clog primer flash holes. I think I may have got a 35lb bag from Grainger or Tractor supply? I just put the extra media in 5 gallon buckets.

I've gone to sport pistol for all my pistol powder and am very happy with it. I buy from Powder Valley, most times.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Well I did it ,bought a 550 off eBay. Actually a lot of stuff.Guess fellow was getting away from reloading. Everything but powder and cases. To bad dies aren’t what I want but I’ll keep em. Came with 223 and 6.5. Trying to figure this powder thrower, call Dillon or get on ole web and figure it out . Buddy is gonna give me the run down come check it out. So I figure another eh 300 I’ll be reloading. Been reading the post from Sticky has me ready to push pull the lever .Thinking I need book, powder , some cases/bullets, primers. Told wife had to get a 6.5 now because I have dies she wasn’t going for it.Anyway guys suggestions. Want to load 38/357, 9mm and eventually 44mag, 45 and maybe 40 . This lot came with a single stage press also with an electric trimmer. So one day I can see 308 and 30/06 and...... we’ll I’m gonna have to wait. Figure I want cci primers but no clue on powder, brand that is .i know theres difference with rifle and pistol. Is there an all around powder that would be good for 9 and 357. Assuming there’s different grains . Man I still have so much reading to do. Asking for suggestions and opinions , positive ones I hope:definitely new to reloading. Thanks

DEFINITELY do the reading you thought to mention! Get yourself a copy of The ABC's of Reloading, and a good reloading manual like Hornady's 10th Edition.

Read both books from cover to cover. Not only will they provide answers to the questions you asked, they'll also get you to thinking about questions you simply won't know to ask just yet. It will prove to be the very best 50 bucks you'll ever spend on your new hobby, as you'll learn info you'll need up front to more quickly realize the many benefits from handloading, as well as positioning yourself to make smart buying decisions that will recoup that information cost many times over.

Good Luck!

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

First - I’m not old enough for ‘Sir’. Shamr0ck will do just fine

Find these for every pistol caliber you want to shoot:

aed026f4400ae9319902dbdc62dd0826.jpg

You’ll then be able to quickly see a list of potential powders by bullet weight and be able to cross reference between pistols and maybe find one powder which could work for you.

cb917741a9e1f34dc09ca7e3c11d0309.jpg

Given the Sierra bullets shown, there are several powders which I could use for BOTH pistols and quite a few which will only work in one but not the other.

Once you decide in a bullet, go get that bullet manufacturers reloading manual as min/max and powder selection can (and do) change over time.

Also, if you intend to use the Dillon powder measure to charge your cases, you’ll want a flake or ball powder. Dillons measure is very good with these small grain shapes. It may be that pistol powders are all flake or ball (not sure and don’t want to steer you wrong)

These books are from 2011 and need to be updated

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Well back bought the lizard bedding,ground walnut 16 for 10p bag . Seemed pricey. Anyway just that urge to do something. Sorry about the sir stuff a habit i acquired well in days past. Don’t think I’ll be doing much at least for couple weeks to many t’s and i’s to cross and dot. Thank you all so much .probably take this all apart clean and grease/oil it .have been on Dillon web site watching videos. Think I’m gonna start investigating flake and ball powder. Ball powder just sounds better. I do a lot of muzzle loader shooting so I can see myself pretty peticular on weights and such. I like the idea of 1 book per caliber. Thanks

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Well back bought the lizard bedding,ground walnut 16 for 10p bag . Seemed pricey. Anyway just that urge to do something. Sorry about the sir stuff a habit i acquired well in days past. Don’t think I’ll be doing much at least for couple weeks to many t’s and i’s to cross and dot. Thank you all so much .probably take this all apart clean and grease/oil it .have been on Dillon web site watching videos. Think I’m gonna start investigating flake and ball powder. Ball powder just sounds better. I do a lot of muzzle loader shooting so I can see myself pretty peticular on weights and such. I like the idea of 1 book per caliber. Thanks

Lot of good YouTube videos on cleaning and maintenance of the 550

No real issue with sir - I’m just not that formal, plus makes me look over my shoulder for my dad :)

Read, read and ask questions!

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I'm fairly new to reloading, only been doing it for a couple of years. I've only used one powder so far for pistols and that is Bullseye. I reload 9,45,38/357 and this powder works well for me. Runs great through the Lee Auto Drum powder measure. Economical too since only a small amount is used for each cartridge.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Question, been doing a lot of reading I am curios how many separate there once fired cases by brand. Federal one bag , Winchester another etc... hear lately all I been shooting is fiochi if I spelled it correct.Is this necessary do you all do this. Did shoot some mag tech I believe they are called and that brass feels light/ not as thick, maybe it’s just me. Ordered some dies from Dillon. 9mm. Still a ways off from loading yet . The science to this is intriguing. Reminds me of trying to get that perfect turkey pattern, different shot size , lengths, brands and chokes. I foresee this in my future , the perfect load what did I get myself into , I’m smiling. More questions to come. Thanks

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

If you want to set up your 223 dies/toolhead with me and I teach you how to operate the press and crank out say 100 rounds, so you can get some hands on time with your dies, let me know and drop me a PM.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Question, been doing a lot of reading I am curios how many separate there once fired cases by brand. Federal one bag , Winchester another etc... hear lately all I been shooting is fiochi if I spelled it correct.Is this necessary do you all do this. Did shoot some mag tech I believe they are called and that brass feels light/ not as thick, maybe it’s just me. Ordered some dies from Dillon. 9mm. Still a ways off from loading yet . The science to this is intriguing. Reminds me of trying to get that perfect turkey pattern, different shot size , lengths, brands and chokes. I foresee this in my future , the perfect load what did I get myself into , I’m smiling. More questions to come. Thanks

You can separate by headstamp, but if it is for plinking ammo, there is no real need to do so. When you start looking at precision rifle reloading, then you will want to separate by headstamp and some will even separate by year of manufacture by manufacturer, like separating LC by year on the headstamp.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The only separation that MIGHT be worthwhile for 9mm is trying to pull out cases with crimped primer pockets. Otherwise, forget it, not worth it. I just cranked out about 500rds of 9mm last night on my 650XL, and I basically just felt how the return stroke at the end resisted me during the priming operation to determine whether to pull the case to make sure it was primed. My bigger problem was that the range brass I was using had a few random 380s and 40s scattered in there to screw up my case feed.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011

You may be interested in looking into Hodgkin titegroup for 9mm and 357. It is a clean burning versatile powder. 1 pound of powder is gonna make you round 1-2 thousand rounds depending how much powder you are using per round. Of course make sure you are using the reloading manual to find your target weight for where to start loading.

I recently picked up the Hornady reloading manual. I like the flow of the book and is very easy to find the caliber you are looking for. But get a couple of books to have some versatility. No one book has every powder that you could for every round. Also hornadys book has a preference for Hornady projectiles.

Also keep a note book. Use it to right down what you are making, I.e
    .223 Remington
    Xx grains of xx powder
    Cci primers (or whatever brand you use)
    Cases trimmed to xx.xxx inches
    55gr fmj. Over all length xx.xxx inches
    If you feel so inclined write down the lot numbers on everything.

Keeping track of this will help you to pick up where you left off and help you to determine what rounds work best in your firearms. Go shoot and if you find that the ammo did not work well in your rifle write it down in the book. Start a new entry, change a single parameter and try again. Keep experimenting until you find the optimal round, and then make a crap load of that round.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Thanks guys ! Bought the Lyman book read it twice , well the front parts and flipped back and forth. Looking at load data seeing the different powder and bullets . Wondering if say a 115 g Berry’s copper RN is the same as a Hornady 115 g . Can I load the same . Guess my question is , is a 115 g the same as a 115g bullet although different brands if that makes any sense . In my mind if the weight is the same is the load data the same even though it’s different brand bullet . Target round/ load. I am starting / gearing up to reload 9, then I want to do 38, then 308. The 223 and 6.5 came with the lot I bought . I was all worked up to reload everything then the reality of it hit me. Saving to get the Dillon kit that comes with everything, tool head conversion kit dies powder thrower stand . Still reading and learning. Have a buddy close who has been reloading awhile so I’m still getting stuff together.have a single stage rcbs that came with the lot of stuff I bought but I want to get the 550 up and running the so called right way in my head , spend the money once . I am learning and taking my time not rushing into this .already spent about a grand and figure I have at least another 400 to go . Thanks for all the input and patience with me if I am asking rookie questions.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    For the Pistol stuff, I'd recommend BE86. Start out with a classic flake powder that's well behaved and versatile. It meters pretty good too. Lot's of options though.

Flaring in my experience is where most people go wrong. I recommend using a Lyman M die or something similar and not use the Dillon powder funnel. Not sure how that messes up the process on a 550 having less stations than a 650.

You can use the 550 like it's a single stage by having one case at a time on it. Do that to start.

For range/plinking ammo, I wouldn't bother.
    I do separate my long range/match grade rifle ammo by manufacturer. Past 500yds, the slightest difference becomes noticeable.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks guys ! Bought the Lyman book read it twice , well the front parts and flipped back and forth. Looking at load data seeing the different powder and bullets . Wondering if say a 115 g Berry’s copper RN is the same as a Hornady 115 g . Can I load the same . Guess my question is , is a 115 g the same as a 115g bullet although different brands if that makes any sense . In my mind if the weight is the same is the load data the same even though it’s different brand bullet .

You cannot mix cast and jacketed data. Plated is pretty much the same as cast.

But the Hornady book lists by bullet weight ranges. Not by specific bullets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom