• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    +1, I've never used Eezox so I can't endorse or say anything about it really, but I do know RIG works. Weapon Shield grease works well too, and smells like cinnamon. Although if you use Weapon Shield grease you may want to eat your weapons. :D

Rig works awesome but a real pain to clean off, took me forever to de-rig some guns I had in storage for about 6 years in a basement (and not that dry). That said they were rust free!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    This thread motivated me to open up the safe this afternoon and give everything a quick wipe with an oily rag, something I usually don't do between shooting a particular firearm. The room with the safe in it also has a dehumidifier as well, never above 55% humidity in there, so I'd think it would be tough for all but the most bone dry toys to rust.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    RIG is the primo old school product for long term storage. It is easier to remove than cosmoline, but is still a long term prioduct to be removed before use.
    For OP's needs of more or less weekly usage, even the most basic oil with a drop or two on patch, or old rag wiped over gun will work. Think even 3-N-1 oil. Better products ( picking a best is like naming the best beer) will provide protection for longer time periods and harsher conditions. The old school rule of thumb is 12 months or longer storage, use a pure preservative like RIG, rather than a lubricant .

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Rig works awesome but a real pain to clean off, took me forever to de-rig some guns I had in storage for about 6 years in a basement (and not that dry). That said they were rust free!

I put a light coat of rig on my 870 every time I shoot it. Just dab a rag in it and wipe down everything metal. Never have rust and never wipe it off either. Do the rifles the same way and never had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom