• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    After years of shooting factory rifles, I finally pulled the trigger on a custom build...

Action: Bighorn TL3
    Barrel: Rock Creek
    Caliber: .308
    Stock: MPA Competition Chassis
    Trigger: Trigger Tech
    Scope: Bushnell XRS 4.5x30
    Bipod: Harris
    Brake: PVA Mad Scientist

Haven't shot it yet, but my Black Friday will be spent at the range. Will provide update...

Attachments

• 1117180951.jpg
      1117180951.jpg
      126.7 KB · Views: 697

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Thanks. I am a little disappointed with the action. I was expecting "buttery smooth" but I have Savages that are smoother to run. And, my AI is definitley slicker to cycle. Hopefully it smooths out when i start shooting it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I own a TL3 and I will freely admit that I didn't buy it for "smooth" action. It is better than many custom actions I've used but I have yet to find one (other than a true benchrest action) that is slicker than a Sako or Tikka.

I will guarantee you two things about the TL3: first, the dimensions are so tightly controlled that you won't have to send it away to get a barrel. Any smith that works with them can spin you one up and ship it to you. Second, the reliability of feeding wildcat cartridges and shorter cases is just about unbeatable. The mechanical ejector is a nice feature for those of us that turn case necks and don't like having the plunger jam the neck into the receiver bridge. Don't know if any of this matters to you, though.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Was going to ask about the action lol. I have a pierce and Borden I'd give the bid to pierce but nothing like a Kelbley smooth action!

What twist? 1:10? Reamed to shoot 175s?

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I own a TL3 and I will freely admit that I didn't buy it for "smooth" action. It is better than many custom actions I've used but I have yet to find one (other than a true benchrest action) that is slicker than a Sako or Tikka.

I will guarantee you two things about the TL3: first, the dimensions are so tightly controlled that you won't have to send it away to get a barrel. Any smith that works with them can spin you one up and ship it to you. Second, the reliability of feeding wildcat cartridges and shorter cases is just about unbeatable. The mechanical ejector is a nice feature for those of us that turn case necks and don't like having the plunger jam the neck into the receiver bridge. Don't know if any of this matters to you, though.

I spent a lot of time researching actions and I bought it for its floating bolt head, the tolerances, etc. But, I would expect an action like that to run smoother than it does. I expect it to smooth out.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    It will smooth out from where it is when you first buy/build it. A *careful* lapping job on the bolt ways (NOT the lug recesses or lugs), the bolt body, and the SIDES of the bolt head will help. The floating bolt head is actually part of the problem. By allowing the body to wobble slightly, you can induce a bind in the action if the bolt handle is not driven properly, particularly on the forward stroke. While difficult to describe in print, I would characterize my forward bolt manipulation on the TL3 as a forward push with a slight inboard pressure (I am right handed, so that means I apply slight pressure LEFT on the knob as I drive it). It has been successful, even with 6BR cases. Depending on what actions you have used, getting used to the ejection stroke on a CRF action can be a trick for some. I'm used to it as I own a couple CRFs but if you aren't then get used to drawing back the bolt at an increasing speed. In action shooting events, throwing the expended case fully clear is much easier with the TL3. At slow fire prone, I find the action to be an advantage as I do not have to put a "billy towel" next to my gun with a bag or other "fence" adjacent. I simply pick the case out of the action as I would one of my ejectorless rigs.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Sorry for the late review. Took it to the range in November to zero and chrono... I forgot my mags, so I just loaded singles all day. It shoots! My best group was 1/4" with most hovering between 1/4-1/2". Very happy with that. Still wasn't happy with action. As mentioned, my Savage and Accuracy International is way smoother with no binding.

Fast forward to early December. Went to a 3-day long-range class in West Virginia. Debated on taking the TL3 or the AI and ended up taking the TL3. Long story short, the TL3 wouldnt load from any of the magazines I had. Even borrowed 2 from another shooter who had the same action and chassis as me. Still, no joy. Everyonce in awhile I could get a round to load, but not with any type of consistency. Sucked! The accuracy is awesome but...

Any ideas?

Contacted the smith and still waiting for reply.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I was thinking that because the bolt wouldn't feed, the bottom metal was a hair low so the bolt couldn't strip a round. The mags would work locking in and releasing, but not sit high enough for the bolt to strip a round. Or the action may sit a little high.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom