• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    So what course do I take now to get clarification/rectification in this matter. I know MD would prefer I be a good little rape victim and just bend over and take it with no lube. But I'm not. I'm real sick and tired of their BS laws and interpretations.
    Not sure there is anything "you" can do. You have your hql so you don't have standing for a lawsuit in this situation would be my guess. Your local delegates and state senators can request a formal opinion from the AG. Might be a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Not sure there is anything "you" can do. You have your hql so you don't have standing for a lawsuit in this situation would be my guess. Your local delegates and state senators can request a formal opinion from the AG. Might be a good place to start.

Not for me per se, but for the rest of the Federal COs who are MD residents and are planning to purchase a handgun. What can be done?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    You are right, lost my train of thought.

I'd attach a document showing arrest powers.

The document is a Google search away...Title 18, United States Code 3050.
    MSP KNOWS this since it is what allows us to be covered under LEOSA. Billy also quoted it to the handgun licensing division when he made contact about the issue.
    When it came to be that Federal COs were covered under LEOSA, I was told that local police(not sure if MSP was also involved) tried to or did arrest a Federal CO for carrying a concealed weapon because they either didn't know LEOSA covered them or just refused to believe it.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Not for me per se, but for the rest of the Federal COs who are MD residents and are planning to purchase a handgun. What can be done?
    Contact the governor, local delegates, and state senators in your area about this abuse of power by MSP. They don't have the authority to rewrite the law and they have no formal opinion from the AG to stand behind their actions. They don't get to decide what a federal LEO is, that is for the federal government to do and they have already decided you are.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Contact the governor, local delegates, and state senators in your area about this abuse of power by MSP. They don't have the authority to rewrite the law and they have no formal opinion from the AG to stand behind their actions. They don't get to decide what a federal LEO is, that is for the federal government to do and they have already decided you are.

Thanks brother. I'm on it. I'm going to get as many of my co workers involved as I can.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Thanks brother. I'm on it. I'm going to get as many of my co workers involved as I can.
    At least in your part of the state you have some conservative delegates and senators who may be willing to help. Not so much over here in the Baltimore Washington Corridor.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    At least in your part of the state you have some conservative delegates and senators who may be willing to help. Not so much over here in the Baltimore Washington Corridor.

We will see what Western Maryland's reps do. I'll definitely keep MDS updated.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Well everyone, here's the reply from Cpl Edwards at MSP handgun licensing division in response to my buddy's inquiry:

"Upon further review by the Division and the AG assigned to Licensing Division it was determined that the BOP is not HQL exempt."
    Just when I thought I couldn't hate MD anymore. It doesn't really affect me since I got my HQL before I went to the Feds, but I can't help but think that it's a total crock of horse shit. So how long before they review HBARs, AR and AK pistols etc and come out with a different determination and not tell anyone?

The AAG assigned to the LD should have an opinion posted at the link I gave but he does not. MSP is making the rules up as they go as usual. No formal AG opinion was given and even it were it conflicts with the specific intent of federal law. Ridiculous

Isn't Knaub in the HQL section now?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Ask your representative to insist the AG issue an opinion. Then we'll see how big MSP's balls are.

I will. I find it interesting that now we're not HQL exempt since we work for the BOP, but we are training exempt because we are classified as LEOs. Talk about speaking out of both sides of ones mouth.

"A person may not purchase, rent, or receive a handgun after October 1, 2013 unless they possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) issued by the Maryland State Police or qualify for exemption status.

Exceptions to possession of the HQL License

A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)"

Directly from MSP handgun licensing division website.
    Do you see where or how the BOP is excluded? I don't. How can they interpret it to mean that we are excluded? We are classified as LEO and covered under LEOSA as such regardless of their OPINION...period.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

See attached LEOSA decision regarding corrections officers from the DC Circuit. Persuasive force in the 4th Circuit.

Attachments

• Duberry.opinion.pdf
      183.6 KB · Views: 171

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    See attached LEOSA decision regarding corrections officers from the DC Circuit. Persuasive force in the 4th Circuit.
    If this is the DC corrections officer opinion it is not the same as the federal Bureau of Prisons. DC corrections officers were never classified as law enforcement by the federal government. IMHO it should not be influential when it involves a completely different local not federal agency. IANAL

That being said the DC corrections officers won anyway didn't they?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/03/dc-must-let-ex-prison-guards-pack-heat-federal-court-rules.html

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    If this is the DC corrections officer opinion it is not the same as the federal Bureau of Prisons. DC corrections officers were never classified as law enforcement by the federal government. IMHO it should not be influential when it involves a completely different local not federal agency. IANAL

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/03/dc-must-let-ex-prison-guards-pack-heat-federal-court-rules.html

This esqappallate. Not being rude or a smarty pants.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Agreed, it is not controlling. The point is that MD MSP needs to look to federal law to see if the federal CO has arrest powers, just as the D.C. Circuit looked to federal law in deciding the LEOSA question in Duberry. The MSP is on very thin ice if they try to define the HQL exemption for LEOs differently than the way LEOs are defined for purposes of LEOSA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom