Travel from VA to BWI on METRO and MARTA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrK

Aug 13, 2016
    Does a process exist to travel with an unloaded, locked and cased handgun from the VA metro to BWI via the MARTA? Basically, I would like to fly out of BWI, however the metro is much faster than driving to BWI from VA.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Their is a metro bus that leaves from the Greenbelt metro station. You can look at www.wmata.com to find when the bus leaves from the Geenbelt station. Bus number is B30 from Greenbelt metro. looks like the cost from Greenbelt to bwi is $10.10 one way unless you have disability or senior fare. They do take the smart trip card as well. looks like they run every 40 minutes as well. http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/md/b30.pdf

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is a court ruling in another District Court that says FOPA only applies to automobiles.

It's legal to possess the firearm in VA but DC and MD is a potential problem. The MD transport statute doesn't adress travel. You're actually safer in DC than MD IMO.

Be very careful here.

DC regs below

Attachments

• dc1.jpg
      dc1.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 452
    • dc2.JPG
      dc2.JPG
      87.5 KB · Views: 420

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IANAL but the DC statute prohibits carry on Metro, but not transport under the above guidelines. VA you are GTG. As usual, MD is the problem.

just my opinion. You could try using FOPA, but seems a grey area to me. Not sure what the MARC policies are.

Last edited:

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    I believe that the DC Metro is, once again, shutting down at midnight. So, if you return to BWI late in the day, you may need an alternate plan to get back to VA, just in case.

Neal

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Ship it to yourself overnight to your final destination. Don't use USPO.

^^^ This is probably the best idea. Other than that you'd probably be safest (from bad guys and LE) by taking a private car or something like the Super Shuttle. It's a damn shame that we have to even think about details like transportation when moving through DC and MD.

You don't have your location listed in your signature, so where are you coming from?

mesmithwesson

Jan 8, 2013
    Does a process exist to travel with an unloaded, locked and cased handgun from the VA metro to BWI via the MARTA? Basically, I would like to fly out of BWI, however the metro is much faster than driving to BWI from VA.

Take the price hit and fly from Dulles if cost was leading you to BWI. Problem solved.

P.S. I thought MARTA was in Atlanta.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    MARC is a no-go, from what I understand.
    They told me via email that a firearm cannot be taken onto their trains, however I have been unable to find a regulation saying as much with my google-fu.

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    One thing that might be worth mentioning...I know this wasn't in the original question but Ann Arundel county has an ordinance that says you cannot carry pepper spray or Mace type stuff. If they find it at BWI the TSA will call the local sheriff's dept and guess who gets arrested when they arrive.

DrK

Aug 13, 2016
    Thank you to everyone for responding, and for clarifying my post as I did I in fact mean the MARC :). I am located in Woodbridge, VA, and yes I hold numerous permits to carry in several states. It would appear that shipping the firearm to my final destination would be the best option. Per your responses it appears that I would be ok on the metro in DC as long as the firearm was cased, and locked separate from the ammunition. However, as suspected Maryland is in fact the problem. I suppose that I would have a snowballs chance in hell at being approved for a Maryland, or for that matter a DC carry permit :) If it is worth anything, I do hold a permit in NYS as I hold part year residency, and own a business in the state.

DrK

Last edited:

DrK

Aug 13, 2016
    Pretty much what I thought :(. Quite sad that the criminals I need to defend myself, and family against do not need to worry about permits, or legal firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom