• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I could be wrong, but if you purchased the handgun in another state prior to moving to Maryland and didn't register it when you moved here, then you may not be able to use it as an exemption to training. If it is possible to do, you are letting the state know about a handgun that they had no previous knowledge of.

The law simply states if you owned a regulated firearm before Oct. 1, you are training exempt. It makes no mention of where you purchased the firearm or whether it was ever registered in MD.

If it's not specified, it's not in the law.

IANAL. Nate is.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    For anyone that isn't safety course exempt, I suggest taking the MD hunter safety course. It is just $25 ($15 + $10) and a few hours of your time but it also will allow you to hunt in MD. You get your serialized hunter safety card the day of the in-class course.

Online course - complete and then sign up for the class.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp/selfstudy.html

VikingWarlord

Jun 26, 2014
    I could be wrong, but if you purchased the handgun in another state prior to moving to Maryland and didn't register it when you moved here, then you may not be able to use it as an exemption to training. If it is possible to do, you are letting the state know about a handgun that they had no previous knowledge of.

From what I understand on the MSP website (HORRIBLE navigation on that piece of shit), there used to be an exemption for registration of regulated firearms for new residents but that went away with everything else last October. Now, I have something like 90 days to register my handgun. I just don't know if the ownership exemption for training applies to new residents or not. Guess I'll find out.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    For anyone that isn't safety course exempt, I suggest taking the MD hunter safety course. It is just $25 ($15 + $10) and a few hours of your time but it also will allow you to hunt in MD. You get your serialized hunter safety card the day of the in-class course.

Online course - complete and then sign up for the class.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp/selfstudy.html

Recent MD DNR change: MD no longer charges for the all in-person hunter safety courses, or the field day portion of the Internet course.

huntman21014

Shooter
    Oct 3, 2010
    Well wish me luck, my girlfriend did the TX safety course and we just submitted her HQL application. Hope it goes through no issues as she is excited about getting her first handgun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok . MD won't charge for the in person HS class, what about the organization actually teaching it ?

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    Recent MD DNR change: MD no longer charges for the all in-person hunter safety courses, or the field day portion of the Internet course.

Ok . MD won't charge for the in person HS class, what about the organization actually teaching it ?

These folks are all volunteers. You pay nothing to take a MD safe hunters course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump for those procasinating adult hunters that need a safety course.

Is there a free class and/or sign up? I got somewhat confused, can someone make this clear? It would be great so I can pass that info on to 2A freindly Family and friends

I myself just used an already owned handgun as excemption

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblogblush2.jpg

I followed the registration link above. There is no mention of fee's or the need to bring a voucher. So I'm going with the idea it's free and complete without an online course. I'm going to try the contact phone number tomorrow just to be sure.

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    tvblogblush2.jpg

I followed the registration link above. There is no mention of fee's or the need to bring a voucher. So I'm going with the idea it's free and complete without an online course. I'm going to try the contact phone number tomorrow just to be sure.

:thumbsup:
    Is this the link your referring to? http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp/selfstudy.html
    I am reading some locations as bring voucher blah blah and some without that next to the location info on that page ...

Last edited:

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    DC has a handgun safety course that I think is accepted. It is free and takes about 30 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom