• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I haven't bought a gun since 2008, when I completed the online Firearms Safety Course (I still have that certificate). I just tried to buy a handgun at Bass Pro in Baltimore and boy did I get a rude awakening.

My SIL owns a shop in WV and I'd like to buy from him and transfer via a Hagerstown shop.

I did sign up for the HQL at the MSP site.

So to be clear, I can take the Texas class linked above and that satisfies the training course?

Model and serial number of a previously purchased in MD handgun or formerly regulated rifle also exempts you from training.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I would like to add that, in my opinion, training with your firearm is important, if not essential. I do, however, have an issue with government mandated training, especially when we are talking about simply purchasing a firearm.

Kinda hard to train with a firearm if you don't have an HQL to purchase one yet :)

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Model and serial number of a previously purchased in MD handgun or formerly regulated rifle also exempts you from training.

You need to know more than that. To be clear. Those plus barrel length, color, country of manufacture, caliber. Easy if you use your DNR ID#, if you have a hunting license.

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    You need to know more than that. To be clear. Those plus barrel length, color, country of manufacture, caliber. Easy if you use your DNR ID#, if you have a hunting license.

I'm still trying to decipher this new program. I do not have a hunting license.

I purchased a Ruger SP101 (3" barrell) in 2008,using the old "Firearms Safety Course". Does this qualify for an exemption? The clerk at BassPro in Columbia said I need to complete the HQL training (offered by them for $200).

I was planning on doing the online Texas Hunter Safety Course, but will forgo if it is not required by my previous handgun purchase.

Thanks for sticking with me on what probably sounds like stupid questions.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    So I have been going through the threads trying to figure out why type ofr live scan I need? Do I need background check just live scan, live scan with card?

SERVICE TYPE SERVICE FEE CJIS FEE TOTAL COST
    State [MD] Background Check Only – LiveScan
    FBI Background Check – LiveScan
    Full Background – State[MD] & FBI – Background Checks – LiveScan
    Childcare Volunteer
    State Response Extra per Copy
    With Gold Seal
    Attorney/Client Civil
    Ink Fingerprinting on Card
    ONLY at the Hagerstown Location & By Appointment ONLY
    LiveScan Fingerprinting Card (On Cardstock paper)

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I'm still trying to decipher this new program. I do not have a hunting license.

I purchased a Ruger SP101 (3" barrell) in 2008,using the old "Firearms Safety Course". Does this qualify for an exemption? The clerk at BassPro in Columbia said I need to complete the HQL training (offered by them for $200).

I was planning on doing the online Texas Hunter Safety Course, but will forgo if it is not required by my previous handgun purchase.

Thanks for sticking with me on what probably sounds like stupid questions.

The clerk at Bass Pro was either wrong or you heard him wrong. You need an HQL to purchase a handgun. If you do not have an exemption (which you do) THEN you need a training class to get the HQL. Simply get your livescan fingerprints then apply for the HQL online within 72 hours and use your model and serial number as your training exemption.

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    I'm all set.
    I am exempt from the training.
    I had my fingerprints done today at All American Protective Services in Rockville, $64.
    Atlantic Guns recomended them, process took 15 minutes, I just walked in.

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    Well, my Training Exemption application has been filed. I was asked about training anyway (instructor choices came up). I just uploaded my 2008 Firearms Safety Certificate, handgun info and my fingerprint documentation. Hopefully that will be acceptable. They took my $50 at any rate...

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    I had to put in all of that information,for the Training Exempt HQL.
    The difficult section to complete was the section where I was asked about training. The only choices were hunting, which had not completed. I uploaded my "Firearms Safety Course" certificate, completed in 2008. But that was not one of the drop down choices. I checked "Hunter Safety Course" and hoped that they figure it out.
    I did written confirmation today that my background check was completed and passed.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I had to put in all of that information,for the Training Exempt HQL.
    The difficult section to complete was the section where I was asked about training. The only choices were hunting, which had not completed. I uploaded my "Firearms Safety Course" certificate, completed in 2008. But that was not one of the drop down choices. I checked "Hunter Safety Course" and hoped that they figure it out.
    I did written confirmation today that my background check was completed and passed.

I hope you aren't referring to the old online training.

If you put in the model and serial number of the Ruger, that's all you needed to do. Already owning a handgun in MD exempts you from the training requirement. The old online course does NOTHING at this time.

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    I hope you aren't referring to the old online training.

If you put in the model and serial number of the Ruger, that's all you needed to do. Already owning a handgun in MD exempts you from the training requirement. The old online course does NOTHING at this time.

I learned that here.

But that section wouldn't let me complete until I put something in, so I checked that.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    The MD hunter safety course is easy, do the online course $15.00 (IIRC) then attend a field day pass and boom you are good to go, plus you can get your hunting license. My HQL was "Active" 08/21/16 yes on a Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom