• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I think Cold Steel and Spyderco offer the best designs that incorporate short blades with comfortable handles. The biggest issue for me with short blades is that most manufacturers have trouble figuring out a handle that provides enough grip to use the knife well.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Locking only? Shorter than 3" and I just carry a SAK cadet.

I believe the SAK is well over the 2.5" limit, and I do believe a locking blade is important, because if one could only carry a 2.5" blade, you'd want it to have maximum versatility (i.e. also be able to use as a last resort defensive edge).

There's got to be a better knife out there than the ones we've already discussed.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I just mentioned this knife in another thread, but it also belongs here.

This 2.5" bladed knife is new for 2015: http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/58ALCM/Mini_Lawman

It doesn't look like it would be quick/easy to open, but very strong (triad lock), once it is. Anyone with and experience with it?

Handled it, mentioned in my TLDR necropost. Good comfortable and secure knife, lightweight, strong, good EDC blade shape, strong secure lock. Main gripe pretty much applies to all triad cold steel knives, the lock requires a large locking tang, so the edge is relatively short for the OAL due to the huge pivot area. The Lawman series makes better use of it than others though as a forward choil. The thumb stud is not really ambi, as it's a stud on one side and a protruding screw head on the other. When Closed the tang cutout on the blade is exposed and can snag on a pocket, G10 is really rough. Their AUS-8A is tough, rust resistant and soft, doesn't hold an edge very well, but sharpens up easily, and resists chipping, the "teflon coating" is glorified paint and will scratch and wear quickly. There is a hugely improved CTS XHP with DLC coating version that for $20 more is a gigantic improvement.

In that size limit, would look at the Spyderco Dice, came out since this thread started, action is glass smooth, quick opening/closing with pivot bearings and flipper/spyderhole, Ti framelock design, quality materials and build throughout the knife, XHP steel and the list goes on, can be had around $150

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Alucard great review thx. I like the triadloc and don't mind the slightly longer handles for blade length. In these small knives it makes them easier to hold and work with.

The mini lawman just doesn't look easy enough to open quickly, I've always preferred a flipper, hole or wave feature to thumb studs.

The dice looks great, just so expensive. $183 @ Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-C182CFTIP-Laminate-Titanium-Handle

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Emerson makes a nice stubby with a 2 1/2" or 2.75" blade and full size grip. I like my Chive but it is too small to hang on to for a lot of things.

Last edited:

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    I believe the SAK is well over the 2.5" limit, and I do believe a locking blade is important, because if one could only carry a 2.5" blade, you'd want it to have maximum versatility (i.e. also be able to use as a last resort defensive edge).

There's got to be a better knife out there than the ones we've already discussed.

The cadet comes in at 2.15", but it is not going to do you much good if you need a lock.

Spyderco dragonfly is a good knife at under 2.5" with a lock and came come in ZDP-189, which will outcut just about anything. Can be "waved" with a zip tie or the thumb hole milled out to a wave.

2.5" is a tough limit.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The cadet comes in at 2.15", but it is not going to do you much good if you need a lock.

Spyderco dragonfly is a good knife at under 2.5" with a lock and came come in ZDP-189, which will outcut just about anything. Can be "waved" with a zip tie or the thumb hole milled out to a wave.

2.5" is a tough limit.

Superb point.

Excellent insight.

And I am aware of the zip tie 'wave' option, I just haven't tried it yet.

If you find a better knife, please post it here.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    Minuteman I don't think you can go wrong with the ones you're looking at. I'd get the one you just *like* the most.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Minuteman I don't think you can go wrong with the ones you're looking at. I'd get the one you just *like* the most.

Roger that! And believe me, I have a tiny collection of tiny knives now. At my regular gun club meetings now, it's very common for several of us to bring something for "show and tell", that is often a knife, many of the small folding/locking variety.

I'm hoping this thread endures, so that others my discover some great little knives. There will be lots more knives in this category sold in the future, especially popular with some groups.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

bshedwick

Apr 3, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Emerson makes a nice stubby with a 2 1/2" or 2.75" blade and full size grip. I like my Chive but it is too small to hang on to for a lot of things.

I have a Chive as well, and its really too small for most tasks.

I have a Spydeco Tenacious that I love, but the blade is longer than the max size that can be carried almost anywhere (stupid laws). On the recommendations here, I just ordered a Spyderco Cat. Looking forward to carrying that one.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Basic blade types:

765191634808633008.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads