• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Dupage selling drill rifles and decent hand-guards north of 50 dollars has motivated me to repair an original. If anyone has seen a Sarco re-pop they're pretty poorly made from some sort of unidentifiable species of wood and no where near spec if you ever fit one but are better than nothing.

So anyhow, the cheapskate that I am and for lack of nothing to keep me busy firearms wise I can entertain myself fixing an old one up.

I started out carefully removing the hand-guard clips which will get a dunk in some washing soda and have some current introduced to them. If they clean up and the finish is okay Ill go with them if not, glass bead and re-finish.

Here I used the secret boiling water scrub brush and dish detergent mixed with oil soap then sprayed off with bleach and water trick. Cleaned up decent enough to dry out for a while and begin to figure out the rigging that I can use to clamp correctly before glassing back together. Ill use acra-gel with black dye, some tooth picks and razor blades to spread "the cracks" then let her eat. One picture a little fuzzy but you get the point.
    IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Turned out pretty decent. The problem area was at the rear. The split was running perpendicular to the machining of the underside of the guard.
    How I did it was screw two blocks to a hardwood block to keep the radius from spreading out further, then apply acra glass gel and then grease one pad on a clamp to squeeze the block to the underside of the guard and prevent the clamp from adhering to the top of the guard.

Scrape with a razor and your done. No sandpaper. The front left side has a knot that created a weak spot where it broke out. That was a simple clamp with some small parallel jaw clamps. Both spots were worked individually which always makes it easier. Periodic coats of oil will make it nicer and bring the grain out. IMG_0705[3363].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom