Selling Reloading Equipment and Supplies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopRacer

Feb 19, 2009
    Silver Spring, MD
    I am getting out of reloading. I thought I should ask before I post to the classifieds. Is it ok (legal) to sell my reloading equipment and supplies in Maryland? I have a Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press, CCI Primers, Accurate No 5 Smokeless Powder, and 9mm 115gr Bullets.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Only a few boxes of CCI primer, less than 2lb of powder, and 1000 bullets. I am reading it is illegal to sell the bullets without a license in Maryland?

AFAIK there are no laws about selling bullets. Selling reloaded ammo (assembled cartridges) requires two licenses Fed. and State.

Selling powder in any amount requires a dealer license.

IANAL.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Could you share your thoughts or a brief review on what worked well (or what didn't) for this Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press??

I understand it is a decent entry level re-loader, but can be finicky with primers and can need some "MacGyver" skills for proper set up and function. Any other quirks, recommendations?

Before you list it, please PM me a quote on how much you are thinking on selling your set for....

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    If you sell them in Md you will be arrested and buttpluged 50 times a day for life. You must sell them to *ME* in Pennsylvania you will be rewarded and the FBI will not come to your door.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Could you share your thoughts or a brief review on what worked well (or what didn't) for this Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press??

I understand it is a decent entry level re-loader, but can be finicky with primers and can need some "MacGyver" skills for proper set up and function. Any other quirks, recommendations?

Before you list it, please PM me a quote on how much you are thinking on selling your set for....

Pro1000 isn't a horrible piece of equipment, but it does have some quirks.

I've loaded more rounds than I care to admit on one - .45acp, .223/5.56, 300BLK, .50Beo, .260Rem and .308Win - it's not designed to handle 260/308 sized cartridges, but it can be done.

Primers, they can hang up at times, seems to do it more often as the primer tray gets low. Just keep an eye on it and make sure the tray is still feeding, and it'll smooth out the more you use it. **Brass that has had a primer crimp, gotta make sure the crimp is removed, otherwise you can have primers slip in upside down, sideways, or not all. BTDT.

Every once in a while, it may go slightly out of time on the auto-index, but that's easy to adjust. Directions or youtube vids can walk you thru that.

I taught myself, on a Pro1000. There's easier machines to cut your teeth on, but once you understand how it works and it's weak spots, it's easy to use.

Pro1000 isn't a horrible piece of equipment, but it does have some quirks.

I've loaded more rounds than I care to admit on one - .45acp, .223/5.56, 300BLK, .50Beo, .260Rem and .308Win - it's not designed to handle 260/308 sized cartridges, but it can be done.

Primers, they can hang up at times, seems to do it more often as the primer tray gets low. Just keep an eye on it and make sure the tray is still feeding, and it'll smooth out the more you use it. **Brass that has had a primer crimp, gotta make sure the crimp is removed, otherwise you can have primers slip in upside down, sideways, or not all. BTDT.

Every once in a while, it may go slightly out of time on the auto-index, but that's easy to adjust. Directions or youtube vids can walk you thru that.

I taught myself, on a Pro1000. There's easier machines to cut your teeth on, but once you understand how it works and it's weak spots, it's easy to use.

I already own a Lee single stage with multiple dies. Is the Lee Pro 1000 caliber specific? The OP has one for a 9mm. I'm mainly interested in speeding up my .300AAC sub production time.
    I'm perfectly content with single stage loading for Krag, 6.5CM and .303 Savage. I don't load anything else- not worth the time for the few pennies saved.

TopRacer

Feb 19, 2009
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have not used other press to compare. I can only say this pro 1000 gets the job done. Remember it is trying to do 3 things at each press. It has its time of hiccups if one of the 3 bays is off. With some patient and focus, it can run smoothly.

You can reload different calibers with the pro 1000, but you need to order different dies, shell plates…etc.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I already own a Lee single stage with multiple dies. Is the Lee Pro 1000 caliber specific? The OP has one for a 9mm. I'm mainly interested in speeding up my .300AAC sub production time.
    I'm perfectly content with single stage loading for Krag, 6.5CM and .303 Savage. I don't load anything else- not worth the time for the few pennies saved.

Sold as caliber-specific, but it can be adapted to other calibers relatively easily. .260Rem was pushing the limits, esp. at 2.815" COL, but I made it work. :D

I bought mine in .223, with an extra shell plate/carrier or two on hand and the turret heads and dies, it was short order to change it out to a different caliber when needed.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    The only law about reloading components is having a maximum 5lbs of powder.

WTF? First time hearing this. What do they expect people to do with 8lb containers? I thought the limit was like 45 pounds. Do they not even sell those in MD? It's been a while since I purchased powder I guess.

Oddly enough when I moved here from Hawaii the movers (possibly misunderstanding what it was) told me to put it (all my powder) in boxes, when it was clearly prohibited from shipping in the paperwork. So it (all)came to MD with me.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    WTF? First time hearing this. What do they expect people to do with 8lb containers? I thought the limit was like 45 pounds. Do they not even sell those in MD? It's been a while since I purchased powder I guess.

Oddly enough when I moved here from Hawaii the movers (possibly misunderstanding what it was) told me to put it (all my powder) in boxes, when it was clearly prohibited from shipping in the paperwork. So it (all)came to MD with me.

You are thinking the federal regs without a license is 45#.

Powder is required by federal law to be shipped in a marked box under hazmat regs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

MD Fire Code. No more than 5 pounds of smokeless or black powder (each) per occupant in a dwelling.

Some shops will log your powder purchases for the Fire Marshal to check (Bass Pro for one).

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Per occupant? So a family of five could have as much as 25 lbs on hand? I always thought it was per dwelling...but I've never read the code.
    If it sounds insanely stupid, its probably true.

If only one person could die in the fire, then you can only have 5 lbs. But if TEN people could die... lets make it 50 lbs.

Maryland laws are well thought out and sensible...

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Per occupant? So a family of five could have as much as 25 lbs on hand? I always thought it was per dwelling...but I've never read the code.

I just looked through the code and could not find a "per occupant" statement. I believe it is per dwelling, and zero allowed in multi-occupant dwellings like apartment buildings, dorms, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom