• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    For MoCo are certain degrees preferred over others or is it just a check to make sure you have education? Basically would someone with a bachlors in underward basket weaving be as likely as someone in bio chem or would bio check give the person an advantage?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    For MoCo are certain degrees preferred over others or is it just a check to make sure you have education? Basically would someone with a bachlors in underward basket weaving be as likely as someone in bio chem or would bio check give the person an advantage?

I don't think they care as long as you have a degree. A social science degree might score a minute fraction of extra brownie points over something else, but I think as long as you establish having the degree it goes to looking at the individual applicant. The only specialization I can think of that's really going to get them excited is one in Spanish language, and no I'm not trying to be funny.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Spoke with my son last night. An academy class in Howard County just started. Another will start in January and yet another next July. They are down nearly 100 positions. They do about 25 per class. Now is a good time to get the ball rolling for the January class. BTW, if you fall short of the educational requirements, but have some college, Howard County offers a dual enrollment program with the acadamy and HCCC to get you over that hump.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    See you there Brad. It'll be my 3rd time taking it. Back in 2010 I successfully went through the whole process and got the 'Dear John' letter :mad54:

Hope you made a copy of your infamous " Blue book ". Because he will find the discrepancies and grill you like a terrorist about it.

Ransom

South County
    Jul 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Hope you made a copy of your infamous " Blue book ". Because he will find the discrepancies and grill you like a terrorist about it.
    done and done. I did that the 2nd time around because I got tired of re-researching everything (addresses, driving record, etc). I am saddened to see Tom Vernon still at the helm, the guy is a Grade-A *****, I'll leave that up to your imagination.

I'm interested in how they're doing the written and physical test on the same day. Its always been on separate dates, and the information attached to the email doesn't give any hard #'s for physical test minimums like in the past (32 situps, 37 pushups, 12:51 1.5mi run)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Last time out for Calvert, you did the physical and then you did the written. Then got called back in or got the letter in the mailbox.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    done and done. I did that the 2nd time around because I got tired of re-researching everything (addresses, driving record, etc). I am saddened to see Tom Vernon still at the helm, the guy is a Grade-A *****, I'll leave that up to your imagination.

I'm interested in how they're doing the written and physical test on the same day. Its always been on separate dates, and the information attached to the email doesn't give any hard #'s for physical test minimums like in the past (32 situps, 37 pushups, 12:51 1.5mi run)

Vernon thinks he is doing the PD a service. He has been the reason MANY GOOD guys don't get on. Easy to disqualify bad applicants but it takes a talent to recognize the good stuff who wants to work for ya.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Ok, so as I am starting to fill out apps I notice many agencies note that a credit check is part of the background check. This has me worried as I have zero credit history. I ALWAYS pay with cash or debit card. I don't believe in spending money I don't have. Will this lack of a credit history be held against me? Should I not worry about it or do I need to try and rack up a credit score in the next few months?

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Ok, so as I am starting to fill out apps I notice many agencies note that a credit check is part of the background check. This has me worried as I have zero credit history. I ALWAYS pay with cash or debit card. I don't believe in spending money I don't have. Will this lack of a credit history be held against me? Should I not worry about it or do I need to try and rack up a credit score in the next few months?

That won't be an issue. PDs understand that a lot of young guys don't have established credit worthiness. What they are looking for are bankrupcies, judgements, pending litigation, etc. That said, it's not a bad idea to establish some credit. It doesn't take much. Just get a credit card and use it on a regular basis for one simple thing like gas purchases. Then always pay it off in full and on time.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    That won't be an issue. PDs understand that a lot of young guys don't have established credit worthiness. What they are looking for are bankrupcies, judgements, pending litigation, etc. That said, it's not a bad idea to establish some credit. It doesn't take much. Just get a credit card and use it on a regular basis for one simple thing like gas purchases. Then always pay it off in full and on time.

Thats what I do and its a cash rewards card too :D I use it like a debit card (ie pay it off every 2 weeks or so) but get some money back with each purchase. I don’t see why you wouldn’t do it, its free money back from things (like gas and food) that I will buy no matter what.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Just a thought, but making an insulting post about someone that will play a role in your hiring on a public forum is probably not a good idea. I wouldn't even do it in private since you're never sure who has friends and relative that you don't know about.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    As long as you brought that up, it's probably a good idea for any possible candidates to close any social network account they might have.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As long as you brought that up, it's probably a good idea for any possible candidates to close any social network account they might have.

Certainly not a bad idea. A very good friend of mine is an FBI Agent. When she was hired, they told her that she could keep her Facebook page, but she had to give them the password and they WOULD be checking it. Not surprisingly, she closed it.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    MDTA pay is no longer frozen. The agency has a new negotiated contract in effect that includes the new rank of Senior Officer after 10 years of completed service and mirrors MSP's rank and pay structure. Yes the MDTA is more of a traffic oriented department with responsibilities at the airport and port. They like any other department in MD have to be certified by the police training commission. As far as people bashing the agency they are to ones that usually are getting stopped for causing traffic infractions and just have gripes. Good luck anyway no matter who you choose. Just be ready for the politics that come along with being a LEO

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Also ask yourself......What kinds of police officer do you want?

Do you want to guard buses and trains
    work for a university?
    small town
    large county
    major city
    small city
    civil process & courts
    Building security

there are so many aspects to LEO

ME.....I like being a radio car and waiting for calls. no don't want no desk job. no don't want to guard a door. no don't want to guard a prisoner in a courtroom. no don't want to serve evictions. No don't wnat to be a SWAT operator. Nothing like a hot call in progress and running code.

Last edited:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Also ask yourself......What kinds of police officer do you want?

Do you want to guard buses and trains
    work for a university?
    small town
    large county
    civil process & courts
    Building security

there are so many aspects to LEO

ME.....I like being a radio car and waiting for calls. no don't want no desk job. no don't want to guard a door. no don't want to guard a prisoner in a courtroom. no don't want to serve evictions. No don't wnat to be a SWAT operator. Nothing like a hot call in progress and running code.
    I want exactly what you like. I need to be out and about; where the action is. No desk jockeying or standing around.

As far as social networking, all I have is a facebook and that is solely to keep in touch with old friends. No politics or stupidity there, so whoever wants to monitor it can.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    If I had to do it all over again forget DC. Look into Maryland National Capital Park Police or even Metro Transit. Metro TRansit gets certified in 3 jusrisdictions so if you dont like it you can lateral to an agency in Md, DC or Va

That is certainly a safe idea. The extra qualifications are nice. I say this in hindsight and consider where else I could have been living. Now I wouldn't change a thing, meeting my wife, the job, etc but consider where you want to settle down. Good places and bad places have cops. You can decide where you want to live. See if your job can allow you to live there. I tried with some departments in an upscale, beach area. The few positions were very limited. Would have made for a great location, though. I looked after I got the badge, too. But the market was hairy at the time. And a family needs security.

I enjoy where I am. The department has many opportunities. Patrol is always there and quite honestly fun. Those transfers aren't a guarantee though. So make sure you can do patrol and actually enjoy it. It could be many years and several interviews before you get your foot in somewhere.

If you are married or got kids in the picture, choose wisely. It is a unique job. One that requires understanding and communication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom