Can I sell a hundgun in Virginia even I am a MD resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    I am a new MD resident, I don’t have MD HQL and am not going to apply it now. but I like to know whether I can sell a handgun outside of MD such as VA ? I knew I should have a HQL then I can purchase , sell and transfer any handgun in MD , but how about VA?

Thanks.

I don't think a "hundgun" is regulated

Feb 28, 2013
    I am a new MD resident, I don’t have MD HQL and am not going to apply it now. but I like to know whether I can sell a handgun outside of MD such as VA ? I knew I should have a HQL then I can purchase , sell and transfer any handgun in MD , but how about VA?

Thanks.

Sure. Just have the buyer meet you at a dealer in VA of his choice so he can do the 4473 and NICS check.

If he says no to that, decline the sale.

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    I cannot even conceive of a gun shop in Maryland that would do this. Any sale requires an FFL as part of the selling process.

Feb 28, 2013
    I cannot even conceive of a gun shop in Maryland that would do this. Any sale requires an FFL as part of the selling process.

Engage Armament dunnit fer me a couPa years ago for a 1911 pistol I saw on Armslist.

The feller come outta VA and met me there, Engage papered the pistol for me. What’s wrong with that?

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    No, the barracks transfer is not the simple “show-up-and-transfer” process you allude to where “the police handle the transfer”.

Both the buyer and seller must go to the Maryland State Police website and complete their part of the application to transfer a handgun – – a process that involves creating an account with a password. It is only after both the buyer and seller complete their online “paperwork” that you approach the barracks with a $10 check or a $10 money order (no personal checks allowed).

Completion of the online transfer app generates a PIN number emailed to the seller that is given to the Trooper at the barracks so they can go into the application for their part of the firearm serial number verification and ownership verification.

Both buyer and seller must present their drivers licenses, which will be used to run a check for outstanding warrants. If you have a warrant you will be arrested on the spot.

Only the buyer needs an HQL. The handgun being sold must be left in the seller’s vehicle until the trooper decides to go out to the vehicle to inspect it himself, or requests that the firearm be brought into the barracks in a case.

Rock & Roll, I have a question to you, the transfer can be done (the trooper finished to check the outstanding warrants , buyer paid and got the gun) at same day or should be taken more than one day ?

Thanks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Everything is done at one time, but the seller cannot release the gun to the buyer until 7 days have elapsed. The seller gets an email on day 7 to confirm the gun has been transferred. The buyer CANNOT take possession until day 7.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Are we really back to answering this again? Really? Good answer “Rock and Roll”! And what do you mean “buyer paid and got the gun”? I hope for your sake he didn’t. 4 pages worth of answer’s and it seems like you haven’t read any of them. Does anyone else smell something here?

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Need to go through FFL if you cross any state lines with a sale (handgun/long gun/shotgun). That is a federal law.

If item is C&R, then if you have a C&R FFL03, you are an FFL yourself in that case, then things change.

Not sure what to make of your statement:

Melnic,

Sorry for bothering, I just want to know if this " cross stale lines with a sale " includes consignment ?

Thanks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not Melnic, but yes.

A handgun must go to an FFL in the buyers' state. Long guns can go through any FFL. Sale must be legal in both states

FTF sales between residents of the same state are not required to go through an FFL, but some states like MD require other procedures to be legal, such as going through MSP here.

Check the state laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom